Cannot enable 2FA on ring.com with invalid/expired token error.

Options
HanSooloo
HanSooloo
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I tried to enable 2FA on ring.com today. Somehow the auto QR-code detection didn't work. So, I manually copied the code from Ring's page to 1Password, and Saved the entry for Ring login.

After entering the code generated by 1Password on Ring's page, I am getting an "Invalid or expired code." error as shown here.

How can I get the 1Password generated 2FA code to work on Ring's website?

1Password Version: 8.10.6 (81006027)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser:_ Firefox 113.0.1

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@HanSooloo

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your two-factor authentication. When this occurs, it's often due to clock drift. Do you have your clock set to the correct time and date? Does it automatically update itself? If not, try enabling automatic updating. I like to use https://time.is to check my device time.

I would suggest giving your device a reboot if it has not had one lately. That can often clear up transient issues.

• HanSooloo
    HanSooloo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, my system clock is in perfect sync with the standard Apple NTP servers, and also match the time I see in the above site.

• Thank you for getting back to us @HanSooloo, I have done some testing on this page and I'm certainly seeing some strange behaviour.

I added 2FA to my own Ring account and on signing out and trying to sign back in I saw the same problem as you.

I then went to file an issue with our developers and on revisiting the page it miraculously worked and now I'm having a hard time reproducing it. Do you see this behaviour every time or is it sporadic?

If you are able to access your account can you try going into your account settings and remove 2FA from your account and then re add it does this help?

Let me know how you get on.

• HanSooloo
    HanSooloo
    Community Member
    Options

I used a private browsing session today, and 1Password correctly identified the on-screen QR code and provided a valid 2FA code that Ring accepted.

Not sure if private browsing changed anything .. would be very doubtful.

• Hey @HanSooloo,

Thanks for the update.

That's interesting, let us know if you run into any further trouble with this one.

This discussion has been closed.