Unable to sign in to a Google account using a saved passkey

Options

Comments

• Katya
    Katya
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p I'm having the same problem folks here are having (as well as the problem with multiple google accounts as noted in the thread "Multiple Google Accounts and Passkeys") with google logins. I'm on Windows 10 Pro, and I do have a period in some of the google account names, but not others; it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm trying to log in to an account with a period in the address or not, though.

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    Options

I tried Edge Canary on Windows 11 and it still didn't prompt for 1Password's passkey first. However I am able to use a passkey on Ebay.

In spite of Microsoft and PayPal (they have even removed the related documentation) been listed as supporting passkey, neither do.

• moonknight
    moonknight
    Community Member
    Options

Hi to all
    direct to subject, recently i add passkey to my google and and extension work smoothly.
    after that i sign out then when i come back to login but email fill out automatically and go to password and 2FA ?
    is that normal ??? I think idea to passkey concept is to go passwordless is this related to google or 1password

I have screen capture Video to explain more but i think not allowed to attach video

• Redcap
    Redcap
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Same problem here: passkey successfully saved in 1Password, but not offered as an option to sign in.
    I'm using a custom domain (Google workspace), no period in email address

• Latest 1Password beta extension installed for Chrome
    • "Offered to safe passwords disabled" in Chrome
    • Extension is allowed in incognito mode
    • "Skip passwords were possible" enabled in Google Account

The passkey is also not available as an option for 2-factor authentication (my Yubikey is offered by default, but when I click "Try in another way" all other options appear (Google Authenticator, clicking Yes on phone or tablet, receive code via SMS, ...) but no passkey option.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

I doubt there is anything wrong with 1Password - that seems to be all on Googles implementation. For me the passkey works in Google but not as login, Google uses it instead of asking for OTP 2factor number code. Before it asked for that OTP now it uses the passkey after enter User+PW

• Mitch
    Options

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the reports about this issue. We've also validated that passkeys for Google are being saved correctly in 1Password, but that passkey login is sometimes not offered as an option when you go to sign to your Google account using a different device. We're in touch with the team at Google about this, and I'll post any updates here when there's news.

-Mitch

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    Options

Feels like the issue is on the Google side. I'd expect if I logged in on a device and my account had the passkey option, it would still be an option I could select. But when you try to login to a google account that has no history or cookies on the device, it only shows password only.

Unless Google has some sort of detection method about the browser/device you are on, and decides if it's "passkey" compatible before showing an option.

Hopefully Google can give you some clarity on the matter, cause at the moment, can't use passkeys on Google. Which is fine since it's BETA, but even if you get the option, still seeing the "Windows Hello" asking for physical medium popup.

• TheKnack
    TheKnack
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I actually don't think this is on the "Google side", at least not entirely, and here's why. I'm using Macos Ventura, FWIW.

When I save a passkey to iCloud Keychain, Google recognizes it and lets me use it to log in the next time. It works every time. But when I save a passkey to 1Password instead, Google never gives me the prompt, even if I click "Try another way". I have the latest beta extension installed and beta desktop client. "Skip password when possible" is enabled.

I've tried using a passkey saved in 1Password on 4 different browsers (Chrome, Edge, Safari, & Firefox), both desktop and mobile, with multiple different Gmail accounts, and tried opening the pages multiple different ways.... nothing seems to trigger the passkey prompt. I've tried both free Gmail accounts and Google Workspace accounts (for which I am the administrator) with the same result.

I did a quick scan of the passkey API documentation and when a client visits a server that supports passkeys, the server does a query of the client to find out what authentication methods it supports.

I have two theories about what may be happening
    1. 1Password is not responding to this query to let Google know that passkey is an available option, or
    2. Macos is intercepting this query and responding to it before 1Password has a chance.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

@TheKnack. BUT: for me it doesn't work with iCloud Keychain either - no difference...

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi, I have the same problem where google does not offer Passkey as a sign-in option.

However, if I create a new Passkey and try to login again using the same google account it does show Passkey as a sign-in option.

What is important here is that whatever browser I'm using, clearing cookies will cripple google login page and Passkey no longer shows as an option even though 1Password has the Passkey credentials.

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @dwk. Strange. My browsers are set to clear cookies when they close and I'm always offered a passkey sign in after startup. In Windows it uses Window Hello for passkey and on macOS it uses 1Password. I generally use Edge.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Now it works for me on Mac. Not sure if this is cause by change on google side or update on 1Password extension side?

• TheKnack
    TheKnack
    Community Member
    Options

@telephoneman2 - It worked for me in Chrome. I don't feel like logging out of everything to try it in Edge (which is my primary browser).

• TheKnack
    TheKnack
    Community Member
    Options

Passkeys were working for me on Chrome, but now they aren't after the July 3rd beta update. Before 1Password would at least receive and store the passkey, Google just wouldn't request it on sign-in. Now Edge grabs the passkey and stores it, even though I have Edge password management disabled, and 1Password doesn't detect that I created a passkey.

• JeroenVdb
    JeroenVdb
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem that Passkeys fill does not work in incognito Chrome. It does work in normal Chrome windows.

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

I just tried it on Chrome for Android and it kind of works. Instead of getting the appropriate login info though, I just get "open 1password". However, I just noticed that really the same thing happens on Chrome, but it still doesn't appear until I do the multitasking trick

• Redcap
    Redcap
    Community Member
    Options

• TyLauriente
    TyLauriente
    Community Member
    Options

This is working fine for me, although I initially thought it wasn't working either because of how you have to use a passkey to sign into google.

Make sure at the password screen to select "Try another way", then on that screen, you should have the option to use the passkey.

• @TyLauriente

Thank you for sharing the steps that worked for you. 🙂

-Dave

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    Options

On Windows, the "use your passkey" option allows Bitwarden or Windows Hello passkeys but 1Password does not work for Google.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Fydon

I'm sorry that you're running into issues with Google passkeys on your Windows PC. Can you confirm that you're using the latest version of 1Password in the browser: Download 1Password in the browser

If you are already using the latest version then can you tell me which browser you're using? Can you also check to make sure that the following option is turned on:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click AutoFill.
    5. Make sure that "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys" is turned on.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Thank you. I'm using 2.18.0 (Beta) in Edge and 8.10.22 (also Beta) in Windows itself. "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys" was already on. Bitwarden is able to handle passkeys for Google and other sites in Edge and 1Password on other sites in Edge, but not Google.

• @Fydon

Thanks for the reply. Do you have both 1Password and Bitwarden turned on in Edge? If you do then can you temporarily disable the Bitwarden extension and then try to save a passkey for your Google account again: Add, turn off, or remove extensions in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Support

Let me know if that works.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.