Pressing Option key to reveal hidden passwords stops working after restarting 1Password

Options
krbr
krbr
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Mac

After I fully quit 1Password (using the menu bar icon) en then restarting it again, pressing the Option key to reveal hidden passwords no longer works. If I toggle the option off and on again in the settings, it works again (until the next restart).

1Password Version: 8.10.9/81009012 BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @krbr! 👋

Thank you for reporting the issue! I can reproduce the issue as well when using the latest nightly and I've filed an internal work item so that our developers can investigate this further.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22935

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Even with the pref set on and checked, the Option key to reveal pw has stopped working for me at least twice recently. Toggling off and on again seems to fix it, at least in the short term. Will the 1P team please look into this and debug the issue?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009046)
    OS Version: 13.5

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

The option key has stopped working. I’ve turned on the option to view the password by presenting option key. It’s not working now. I have to restart 1Password.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
    Extension Version: 2.12.0
    OS Version: 15.5

• Ben
    Options

@vishalsheth

Thank you for the report. Our engineers are aware of this issue. I've flagged it for them again to see if we can get it on the short list for bug fixes.

Ben

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I just experienced this again. There was no app update. Simply a restart of my mac.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not able to view the password when I select reveal. There's serious issue with 1password. How am I supposed to work? This is the reason 1pw7 was better. I never faced such issue.

• @vishalsheth

Toggling "Hold Option to toggle revealed fields" off and back on may well help shake this loose, as mentioned above, so if you haven't tried that already, give it a go.

You can also try pressing ⌘R (Command–R) to show or hide concealed fields. This doesn't have a setting, so should always work.

If you can try both of those to see if they help when you notice that holding ⌥ Option doesn't work, that would be helpful in our research for this.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @zebdro! 👋

I'm sorry that revealing passwords using the option key isn't working sometimes. Our developers are aware of the issue and are investigating. The issue usually occurs when you completely close and then reopen the 1Password for Mac app and, as you mentioned, the following steps will fix things temporarily until the next time that you close and open the app:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Click on Security.
    5. Turn off "Hold Option to toggle revealed fields".
    6. Turn on "Hold Option to toggle revealed fields".

Hopefully this can be permanently fixed in a future update soon. Thank you for reporting the issue.

-Dave

• khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I just installed the latest version of 1Password for Mac (8.10.9), and noticed that I can no longer reveal hidden fields by holding down the Option key. I do still see the setting under the Security tab for "Hold Option to toggle revealed fields", and it is checked. Did this feature break in a recent update?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.9
    OS Version: 13.4.1

• Hello @khaaan! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to reveal passwords using the option key. Our developers are aware of the issue and are investigating. The issue usually occurs when you completely close and then reopen the 1Password for Mac app and the following steps will fix things temporarily until the next time that you close and open the app:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Click on Security.
    5. Turn off "Hold Option to toggle revealed fields".
    6. Turn on "Hold Option to toggle revealed fields".

We hope to resolve the issue permanently with a future update to 1Password.

-Dave

• xeno
    xeno
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same issue with the currently nightly on macOS (1Password for Mac 8.10.12 (81012013))

Toggling "Hold option to toggle revealed fields" doesn't help, but ⌘R does reveal the fields.

Holding option has been part of my muscle memory for years, so losing that functionality is fairly high-impact for me.

• khaaan
    khaaan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, will give that a shot!

• Sound good. You might also try Command + R.

• zhang13
    zhang13
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm same issue here on my machine, 1Password Version: 8.10.9, OS Version: 13.4.1, Apple M1.

Hold Option to toggle revealed fields will break on first launch of the app, and will work if uncheck the option and check again.

Also, the title of the Settings window will change upon the first modification of any setting, from Settings to <user account name> - <current selection in the main app sidebar> - 1Password. I'm not sure if there's anything related between these two bugs.

• seguri
    seguri
    Community Member
    Options

I've recently noticed that alt/option no longer reveals the masked passwords. I can't confirm this happened right after updating from macOS 13.4 to 13.5, but that's the last thing I did to my laptop.
    The relevant setting in Settings > Security is still checked; I've tried both bluetooth and builtin keyboards.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009046)
    Extension Version: 2.13.0
    OS Version: Version 13.5 (22G74)
    Browser: Edge 114.0.1823.51

• @zhang13 and @seguri

I'm sorry that you're also affected by the issue. Our developers are investigating and we hope to release a fix in the future.

In the meantime, you can use the workaround that I described here or use Command + R to reveal the fields.

-Dave

• seguri
    seguri
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P sorry for opening a duplicate thread. I swear I checked first, and didn't see this one 😇

• @seguri

No worries! I merged the threads together so that we keep the conversation in one thread.

Thanks again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• @xeno

I'm sorry for the impact to your workflow. Our developers are aware of the issue and are investigating.

-Dave

• fgilio
    fgilio
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

This has been happening for many months, it's frustrating that the only workaround is to constantly toggle the setting

I'm currently running 1Password for Mac 8.10.13 (81013005)

• @fgilio

Thank you for your patience. Another workaround is to press ⌘R (Command–R) to show or hide concealed fields without having to hold the Option key.

-Dave

• fgilio
    fgilio
    Community Member
    Options

That's not too bad, I'll try to get used to it. Thanks @Dave_1P

• bed
    bed
    Community Member
    Options

I too have this problem regularly, toggling it solves it in the short term but it is constantly returning. I know about cmd-R but option is muscle memory from years of 1pw use. Very frustrating.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@fgilio and @bed

I'm sorry for the frustration. Hopefully our developers can resolve the issue in a future update soon.

-Dave

• bacoboy
    bacoboy
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Clearly a problem in the startup not looking at saved values and using the default (unset). Doesn't seem like a difficult fix. So annoying.

• @bacoboy

The issue itself has been fixed in code, and it's now available in the Nightly version. It'll percolate down through the Beta and Production versions following the usual testing.

If you want to switch to the Nightly version, you can do so by following these steps: Use 1Password nightly releases.

• patrick54
    patrick54
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Hopefully this will be deployed very soon, as the ⌘R trick does not suit my needs. I often work on a train, with people around me that could be staring at my screen, so the Option key is very useful to check a field for half a second only.

• @patrick54

If testing goes well we hope to include the fix in a production update soon. In the meantime, toggling "Hold Option to toggle revealed fields" off and then back on using the steps in a previous post will fix things until the next time that you restart the app.

-Dave

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, here a gentle reminder that this issue is still happening on 1Password for Mac 8.10.13 (81013005).

• @wizard86pz

Correct the proposed resolution is in the current beta release.

This discussion has been closed.