Touch-id and Apple watch unlock stopped working.

Options
Fresco
Fresco
Community Member

Since the latest update (1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016015)) on macOS Sonoma beta (23A5337a) unlocking 1Password with Touch-id and Apple watch stopped working. Before that everything was fine.
Restarting the Mac. Stopping and restarting 1Password, and even a complete uninstall and re-install don't work.
I hope this issue will be solved with the next betas. I guess these things happen with betas, especially when you combine two of them (-:
Nevertheless I wanted to report it.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.0
OS Version: macOS 14.0
Browser: Chrome 116.0.5845.140

Comments

• Hello @Fresco! 👋

I'm sorry that Touch ID stopped working to unlock 1Password. Are you still able to unlock the Mac itself using Touch ID? We'll need to investigate further to see if this is being caused by an issue in 1Password, the beta version of macOS, or if this is something specific to your Mac itself.

As a start, can you please try the following steps in order:

1. Completely turn off your Mac and then turn it on to restart it. (Don't skip this step.)
    2. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    3. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Touch ID & Password.
    4. Turn off all of the features, then turn all of them back on again.
    5. Go back to 1Password and choose 1Password > Settings from the menu bar.
    6. Click the Security icon, then turn on "Touch ID".
    7. Lock 1Password by choosing 1Password > Lock from the menu bar.
    8. Now try unlocking 1Password using Touch ID.

Let me know how that goes.

-Dave

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Strange enough the 1Password extension of Chrome was working fine. Touch-id and Apple Watch to unlock my Mac were both working fine, too. It was just the desktop app which had this issue. Anyway, I have followed the steps you mentioned. After the first attempt nothing had changed, but after the second attempt the desktop app worked again as it did before. Happy! Thanks for your help.

• @Fresco

I'm happy to hear that everything is working again. 🙂

-Dave

• PeterThornton
    PeterThornton
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issues with 1password Beta 8.10.16 and 1password in the browser beta and Sonoma public beta 7. No browsers offer unlock with Touch ID or Apple Watch, and when you click on the 1password icon extension, it takes 5-10 seconds for the password input prompt to appear. It happens on chrome, edge and safari. it also locks frequently ignoring settings not to lock.

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

After I followed the instructions @Dave_1P gave me, my issue was solved.

• @PeterThornton

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into issues with 1Password in the browser and Touch ID. Have you already tried the steps that I posted above? You can find them here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/694854/#Comment_694854

If you have tried them and are still running into the same issues then please let me know.

-Dave

• PeterThornton
    PeterThornton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for reply. Yes, tried those steps earlier but still happening on latest Sonoma Beta 8 yesterday. Restart fixes it temporarily, but then it comes back.

• @PeterThornton

The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• PeterThornton
    PeterThornton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. It occurred just now with Chrome again first up this morning so generated diagnostic and sent. 1Password app open and also showing unlocked in Safari, locked in Chrome. Clicking extension icon in chrome takes 8 seconds to show the enter password prompt, no option for touchID or apple watch unlock, even though set up. And when I just went back to safari, it had locked itself even though I've presently got it set to never.
    Support ID is [#NHV-53858-311]

• Thanks @PeterThornton

Let's keep this going via email. Steph last sent a message and we're awaiting a reply. No rush mind you. I just didn't want you to have missed a message.

• PeterThornton
    PeterThornton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I've just emailed Chrome and Safari logs.

• @PeterThornton

Thank you! I see that my colleague has replied to your email, please continue the conversation there. To prevent duplication of effort, and to save the original poster from seeing notifications on each reply, I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: NHV-53858-311

This discussion has been closed.