Safari extension has become relatively unreliable

Options
JohnnyFJohnsson
JohnnyFJohnsson
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I noticed that the 1Password Safari extension has become somewhat unreliable, slow and buggy in the past few weeks.

First it did not unlock with biometrics and could not communicate with the 1Password main app. Now that that works again, the extension is very slow to unlock and today I always get the error message when opening a new tab, that the extension had to be restarted.

The extension then does not auto-fill on websites anymore and clicking on the 1Password icon in the username/password fields does not work anymore. Also manual auto-fill from the extension does not work anymore. A restart of Safari does not always and note reliably fix this.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.15 (81015001)
Extension Version: 2.15.0
OS Version: MacOS Ventura 13.5.2 (22G91)
Browser: Safari Version 17.0 (18616.1.24.11.5, 18616)

Comments

• Clares
    Clares
    Community Member
    Options

On macOS it seems like both the app and extensions are borked, even on beta and nightly. Buttons that summon context menus stop working randomly . In the app or Arc pressing enter while hovering works as a workaround, but not in safari. Ever since 1Password 8 released I'm experiencing annoying issues on macOS, it's quite frustrating. I'm on Ventura 13.5.2 if that matters

• Hey @JohnnyFJohnsson, @Clares,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

If you are still running into the issues you have described, I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread and our team will be able to further assist.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• JohnnyFJohnsson
    JohnnyFJohnsson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles, thanks for the reply. I have noticed a significant improvement in the latest stable release (v. 2.15.1), at least on my end.

If I experience any further problems I will come back to you.

• dmoor
    dmoor
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

The Safari extension 8.0.15 Ventura 13.6 on a current Mac most of the time is not filling in passwords. Won't do it on the UPS or Apple websites but it did work logging in to this one. Followed all of the instructions on the troubleshooting page which say "Turn on “Offer to fill and save passwords” in the Autofill section." but there is no such option as there is no settings choice. Universal autofill is turned on. The autofill bubble in the extension is blue. This was working some weeks ago.

The icon does not show in the username box but when I hit the invocation key the extension runs and shows me the site and allows me to click on it. It doesn't fill the field.

• Hi @dmoor,

It sounds like you may be using Universal Autofill which is part of your 1Password 8 app as opposed to 1Password in your browser.

Can you open Finder and go to your Applications folder and let me know if you see 1Password for Safari listed here?

• dmoor
    dmoor
    Community Member
    Options

Can you open Finder and go to your Applications folder and let me know if you see 1Password for Safari listed here?

Yes, it is there.

• Thanks for getting back to me @dmoor, I'm sorry for the trouble.

Can you also send over the reports listed here so we can take a closer look at what may be happening?

Thank you!

• JohnnyFJohnsson
    JohnnyFJohnsson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles

I encountered the issue again today and just sent an email to the email address you provided together with the console log file and diagnostics from the app. Today's issue seems to be related to the new multiple profile feature of Safari 17 as the extension is correctly unlocked in one profile window but stays locked in another.

Thanks for your help.

• Thank you for getting back to me @JohnnyFJohnsson, I'm sorry for the disruption.

Can you share your support ID here so I can take a look?

• JohnnyFJohnsson
    JohnnyFJohnsson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @steph.giles. Support ID is: #CVE-94326-852 but I already received a follow-up email from David McLaughlin yesterday. :)

• Thank you for sharing @JohnnyFJohnsson.

Let's continue the discussion over email.

ref: CVE-94326-852

This discussion has been closed.