Passkeys not working in apps on iOS 17

Options
Zaka7
Zaka7
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

Hi Guys,

I have updated all my apps and was excited to try Passkeys. I've 6 logins that I can upgrade.

I tried 3 of them and they all failed for seemingly different reasons. Is there a bug or are others able to do this on iPhone without a hitch?

1st Service did absolutely nothing, the app opened and the passkey options wasn't actually anywhere to be found.

2nd Service allowed me to create a passkey, the 1PW pop up initiating the Passkey's creation appeared, but on clicking ok nothing happened, it just did a loading wheel for 3-4 mins. I cancelled and tried and again but had the same behaviour.

3rd Service as the second, allowed me to create, and this time got further, it allowed me to choose which item it would be saved it. The the 1PW app then had a saved passkey that seemed to suggest it had worked. But logging into the service no option for passkey was given, and when I then went into manage the passkeys on the service it said there were none and offered me to create one again...

Help!

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Zaka7! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry for the delayed reply and about your troubles with passkeys on iOS. While 1Password is ready to support passkey authentication in iOS native apps, we are aware of an issue on iOS 17 that impacts users from being able to save and use passkeys to sign in.

We are working with our partners at Apple to find a resolution to this issue. You can continue to create and sign in using passkeys, with 1Password, in the Safari app: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

The passkeys directory will tell you which websites currently support passkeys: Passkeys.directory

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P

NO worries, I knew that you guys would be on it!

• Thanks again for reporting the issue. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• @Zaka7

iOS 17.2 was just released by Apple and it includes a fix for the issue where saving and signing in with passkeys using 1Password in iOS apps didn't work. You can find instructions on how to update here:

If you're still having trouble after updating to iOS 17.2 then please let me know. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you for taking the time and remembering. I did hear rumours that the 17.2 beta had fixed the issue, and am pleased to let you know that having now downloaded the stable build it is working!

The only thing I have to note, is that watchtower says about Apple ID having a passkey. But my understanding is that these work slightly differently and are QR codes for you to log in using your Apple ID, so I won't actually ever have a passkey saved for this item?

For now I have just ignored the alert.

Thanks.

• @Zaka7

I'm happy that saving and signing in with passkeys on iOS is now working for you. πŸ™‚

The only thing I have to note, is that watchtower says about Apple ID having a passkey. But my understanding is that these work slightly differently and are QR codes for you to log in using your Apple ID, so I won't actually ever have a passkey saved for this item?

I'm sorry for the confusing Watchtower banner. Passkeys for Apple accounts are automatically generated by any Apple devices signed in to an Apple ID running iOS 17 or macOS Sonoma or newer. You will then be able to sign in with passkeys on Apple using any iOS device or Mac signed in to the same Apple ID you are signing in to.

At the moment, it's not possible to save a passkey for your Apple account in 1Password (or any other third-party manager). You're seeing the "Passkey available" banner appear because Watchtower takes its data on passkey availability from passkeys.directory: Apple.com - Passkeys.directory

I've filed an internal issue with our development team to have them look into removing or changing the banner until passkeys for Apple.com can be saved in 1Password. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26658

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you for the reply. That's how I understood them to work. Thanks for that :) I've 'ignored' the notification for now.

• @Zaka7

Thanks for understanding, hopefully the team can finetune the "Passkey available" banner in the future. πŸ™‚

-Dave