Passkeys not working in Firefox: "Touch your security key to continue..."

Options
altano
altano
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I can't always figure out how to create a passkey. When I go to a website that supports them (e.g. login.tailscale.com or passkeys.io), clicking the passkey button will give me a prompt in Firefox and not 1Password, and I don't know how to proceed. The prompt says:

"Touch your security key to continue with login.tailscale.com."

I have no idea what to do with this.

On other websites like passkeys.guru, clicking to create a passkey gives me a prompt in 1password itself which makes sense:

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
Browser: Firefox 117.0.1

Comments

• Hi @altano

I was initially able to replicate the same behavior you're seeing on Tailscale but then a new tab resolved the issue and shows 1Password in the browser when trying to use a passkey. Could you try loading Tailscale in one tab, then opening it again in another tab and see if the 1Password prompt for a passkey shows?

Do you also have a passkey already created for Tailscale in your 1Password account?

• altano
    altano
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p that didn't work for me. Opening tailscale.com or passkeys.io in one tab, getting the prompt, and then opening in another tab or another window moves the "Touch your security key ..." message to the new window and I'm still stuck.

I have a Google Sign-in entry for tailscale.com in 1Password but no saved passkeys. I have no entries for passkeys.io in 1Password.

• altano
    altano
    Community Member
    Options

And fwiw the behavior is all the same in Firefox 118, the newly released version.

• ac570
    ac570
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same behaviour at https://login.microsoftonline.com/. Firefox 116 on Ubuntu.

• donut
    donut
    Community Member
    Options

Confirming same behavior in Firefox 121 for cvs.com. The passkey prompt shows correctly in Chromium based browsers, so appears to be a Firefox specific issue.

• EmeraldPi
    EmeraldPi
    Community Member
    Options

+1. Just moved back to 1Password from Bitwarden because of the passkey support. Also on Firefox 101 and having issues with cvs.com and caremark.com.

• Sorry for the trouble @EmeraldPi and welcome back!

https://passkeys.directory/ may be helpful here. I know cvs is one that is talked about a lot.