1Password, Safari on IOS, & JumpCloud

Options
calicyclist
calicyclist
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

I have a strange behavior that has been going on for some time now and I am not quite sure what to make of it or how to troubleshoot any further. My company uses JumpCloud as our IDP/SSO provider so I need to authenticate to it regularly on all of my devices.

For some time now, I have been having issues with logging in when autofilling the password from the 1Password app. I know that the password is correct. It works correctly on my laptop in multiple browsers, and it works correctly in Firefox on my phone.

When I try to autofill via Safari on IOS, however, 1Password seems to be adding characters to the password it is autofilling if I use the first prompt to do it. What I mean by first prompt is this...

• When I first click on the password field the icon on the bottom of the page shows up but it is the wrong account (I have 4 accounts for JumpCloud with my work vault access), so I have to click the key. I cannot capture a screenshot of this properly for some reason as the entire keyboard section of the screenshot is blank.

• After clicking the key, the following screen is presented:

If I click the correct account on this screen, 1Password autofills extra characters and authentication fails.

• If, however, I click on the 1Password option (the very bottom one) which fully opens the 1Password app with another FaceID auth, showing this screen:

and select the exact same account, it fills in the correct password, and authentication works fine.

So I guess my question is - why is 1Password filling in a different password if I select it on the previous step, but not the next?

This has been happening across multiple phones iPhone 14 Pro Max -> iPhone 15 Pro Max and between multiple versions of 1Password and IOS (15-17). Please help!

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 17.0.2
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @calicyclist! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble filling your passwords on your iPhone. Judging by the screenshots that you sent in it's possible that you have both Keychain and 1Password turned on for AutoFill and those initial incorrect suggestions are coming from duplicate entries in Keychain rather than 1Password. You can check to see if Keychain is enabled by following these steps:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Select 1Password.
    5. Deselect any other password manager including Keychain.

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Let me know if that doesn't work. 🙂

-Dave

• calicyclist
    calicyclist
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi Dave-
    1Password is the only password manager selected. I do not have any passwords stored in keychain on my phone.

Screenshot of settings for clarity:

This doesn't work. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks.

• @calicyclist

I'm sorry that the suggestion didn't help. The suggestions that you see under "Choose a saved password to use" are generated by iOS using data provided to it by 1Password. 1Password isn't responsible for rendering the suggestions, we only provide the data for the experience. So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me the following:

1. You say that extra characters are added to the password. Are you able to determine what these characters are? Are they random? Or is it the password for one of the other JumpCloud accounts?
    2. Can you open the main 1Password app on your iPhone and temporarily archive three of your JumpCloud accounts, leaving only one account. Then use iOS AutoFill to fill your username and password in Safari, do you still see the same issue?
    3. Do you encounter the same issue when filling your login using our extension for Safari, not iOS AutoFill: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• calicyclist
    calicyclist
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi Dave-
    Thanks for your response. To answer your questions...

1. I am not able to determine what the characters are. They are hidden since they were entered in a password field and there is no way for me to copy and paste them. I can just count the amount of characters and see that it's more than what my password is. I can also see how it's a little shorter when the autofill works correctly. Actually I just went and analyzed all of the passwords stored for this site, and only one of them has the exact length that is being autofilled - the very first one that 1Password is recommending in the list.
    2. I just tried this and it resolved the issue.
    3. I do not encounter it when using the extension.

So, it seems like the rendering between 1Password and IOS for JumpCloud is simply inserting the password of the first recommended site in the list.

After this I attempted to replicate the issue on different sites that I have multiple logins for (Google & Microsoft) and couldn't replicate the same behavior so I am not sure what to think exactly.

Microsoft showed some truly bizarre behavior, that regardless of which email address I entered, it would log me into the account of whichever password I chose next.

Might be worth having your QA engineers see if they can replicate this behavior on other sites - where the extension is filling in the first recommendation instead of the selected one from the list. But I think this back and forth at least has given me suitable workarounds for the moment.

• @calicyclist

Thank you for the reply. I've tried to reproduce the issue with four different Login items on jumpcloud.com but I'm unable to do so. I gave each of the four items distinct titles (JumpCloud1, JumpCloud2, JumpCloud3, and JumpCloud4), distinct usernames (Test1@fake.com, Test2@fake.com, Test3@fake.com, and Test4@fake.com), and distinct passwords (1, 12, 123, 1234).

This allowed me to be sure of exactly which item I was tapping in the AutoFill prompt and which password was being filled in since I could see the number of digits in the filled password on the page. Each time that I tapped one of the items the correct password was filled.

If you're willing to troubleshoot a little further:

1. Do each of your Login items for jumpcloud.com use different email addresses?
    2. If you create a new Login item in 1Password for jumpcloud.com for one of your accounts, and archive the old Login item, then does the new Login item fill correctly?

-Dave

• calicyclist
    calicyclist
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi Dave.
    1. Of the four login items for jumpcloud, two have distinct email addresses, and two have the same email addresses.
    2. I cloned the Login item having the problem to a new item, archived the old one, and tried again and continued to experience the same behavior when using the Safari items that pop up. It still works fine with the ones being filled in via the extension.

• @calicyclist

Thanks for the reply. One last question, does the issue occur when you're tapping on one of the items that shares an email address with another item? They would appear the same in the AutoFill suggestion prompt.

-Dave

• calicyclist
    calicyclist
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave-
    It is happening when I click on one of the two emails with a shared address, but, based on the characters being filled in, it doesn't match either of them. However, I just tried doing the admin login which is what the other one with the same username was for. And it appeared to work.

I think this is actually the answer. For some reason it is picking the one that normally shows as second in the list and filling in that password and I have no way of specifying which one. Interesting.

Thanks for your help diagnosing this.

• @calicyclist

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep trying to reproduce this on my end and look out for reports from other users. For now, let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.