1Password for Safari isn't working on macOS 14.2 BETA

Options

Comments

• Hey @jdawgnoonan,

I can confirm that there is a known bug with the macOS 14.2 beta that's affecting 1Password for Safari. The bug has been identified, and the fix should be available in a future macOS update.

In the meantime, can you let us know if the behaviour improves after clearing Safari's history? Here's how you can do that:

1 Open Safari.
    2 Click "History" in the macOS menu bar and select "Clear History" to clear all history.
    3 Once that's done, restart Safari by clickingย Safari > Quit Safariย and relaunching Safari.

Let us know how you get on!

• jdawgnoonan
    jdawgnoonan
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @steph.giles, yes, that did fix the issue! Thank you!

• strickers
    strickers
    Community Member
    Options

It fixed it for me briefly but a few days later we are back to the same behaviour. There is clearly something not working right here and a fix is needed?

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried this and it worked! Hoping it sticks.

• @jdawgnoonan, @strickers, and @mmcwatters

I'm happy to hear that the steps posted by Steph helped. If the issue does occur again then you'll need to go through those steps again.

As mentioned, this is an issue with Safari in the macOS beta and hopefully a fix will be released in a future macOS beta update.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#25725

• Hello @Fresco, @olson, @mmcwatters, and @arrtz3! ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm sorry that 1Password for Safari isn't working on your Mac. Are you all running a beta version of macOS Sonoma? If you are then there's a known issue in Safari that is causing the symptoms mentioned, we hope to see a fix included in a future beta for macOS Sonoma.

For the time being, please try these steps:

1 Open Safari.
    2 Click "History" in the macOS menu bar and select "Clear History" to clear all history.
    3 Once that's done, restart Safari by clicking Safari > Quit Safari. Then re-open Safari.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#25725

• markbyrn
    markbyrn
    Community Member
    Options

Clearing History seemed to fix the problem.

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Clearing the history works.

• I'm glad that clearing history helped. Hopefully a future macOS beta will include a permanent fix soon.

-Dave

• markbyrn
    markbyrn
    Community Member
    Options

The MacOS 14.2 beta 2 (23C5041e) appears to have fixed the issues with the extension.

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello,
    I just updated to macOS 14.2 beta 2 but since the first one 1Password for Safari is not working anymore ... opening a blank page and not displaying anything.

I'm not complaining, I know the risk of the beta, just want to know if it is a known issue or not ..

No issues with Edge and Chrome

1Password Version: 8.10.20
    Extension Version: 2.17
    OS Version: 14.2
    Browser: Safari

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Since Update to Mac 14.2 Beta Safari Extension not working proper anymore 3 Symptoms: 1. Passkeys not working any more neither create nor "inject" for login (1PW isn't reacting on any Passkey Usecase anymore)
    2. Click on Safari 1PW icon opens a blank new safari tab and not the 1PW Mini Safari screen
    3. the little 1PW icon isn't displayed anymore in any password forms

I already reinstalled the Extension and also tried the new beta of extension- no luck

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.18 (81018040)
    Extension Version: 2.17.0
    OS Version: 14.2

• BenNeivert
    BenNeivert
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Me, as well. However, the browser extension in Brave is working just fine.
    1Password for Safari version B5x Beta 2.17.2
    Build Number: 21700201
    Sonoma 14.2 Beta (23C5041e).

• Tomsdiner39
    Tomsdiner39
    Community Member
    Options

I had to clear all history twice, and quit and restart safari each time to get it to work, but now it's working again.

• jtarrio
    jtarrio
    Community Member
    Options

Initially I cleared all the history and that didn't fix it for me. But after uninstalling and reinstalling the extension and then clearing the history again (this time only the last hour) it's now working. Thanks!

• Paklonder
    Paklonder
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to be fixed with Sonoma Beta 3. the 1password extension has just started to work without any other intervention.

• BenNeivert
    BenNeivert
    Community Member
    Options

Just updated to the latest MacOS Developer beta, 14 Nov, 14.2 Beta (23C5047e), and 1Password for Safari is working normally now. Nice to have it back!

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

certainly not fixed

• thg
    thg
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

The Safari Extension unlocks when clicking on the extension in the toolbar, but the does not open in Safari and the icon in the toolbar shows the extension locked even though it is unlocked.

Also filling logins and passwords is not working as Safari thinks the extension is locked even though it is unlocked and no unlock prompt is shown after the first unlock.

1Password Version: 8.10.20
    Extension Version: 2.17.0
    OS Version: macOS 14.2 Beta 3

• Hello @thg! ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password isn't working properly with your browser. It sounds like communication between the 1Password extension in your browser and the 1Password for Mac app has broken down. To fix this please do the following:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Applications folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

Let me know if that fixes the issue. I look forward to hearing from you. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• thg
    thg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

unfortunately this is not resolving it. I think it must be something with the latest macOS beta that broke something with the 1Password Extension.

All what happens is you get what you see in the attached window (open 1Password) and then when clicking on it it just closes that popup and that's it. It seems it is unlocking 1Password extension but something is not getting to the extension.

Hope this helps in trouble shooting if you guys have a mac with the latest macos beta to test it.

• t1g3r
    t1g3r
    Community Member
    Options

I'll add to @thg, seeing same issue on the latest macOS beta.
    Actually following the steps Dave listed made 1Password as me to re-authenticate with my second factor and go through the new setup process.

• @Gilles9

I'm sorry that you're still seeing an issue. Have you tried the following steps:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click "History" in the macOS menu bar and select "Clear History" to clear all history.
    3. Once that's done, restart Safari by clicking Safari > Quit Safari. Then re-open Safari.

Which version of the macOS beta are you currently running? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

you'll get more comments when the public beta (namely 3) of MacOs will spread to 1Passport users

• thg
    thg
    Community Member
    Options

Antoher quick update. I saw the other thread where a similar behavior was reported (https://1password.community/discussion/143073/1pw-extension-for-safari-fails-to-unlock#latest) and the suggested solution was to delete the last hour of history in Safari.

I went ahead and tried it and can confirm that has resolved the problem. The extension now shows unlocked and when clicking on it it works as designed.

Hopefully, this will provide some input for the developers to fix this issue ...

• Hey @Gilles9,

The issue should have been resolved in macOS 14.2 beta 3 so if you are still running into issues after following the steps above can you send over some more details so we can see what is happening?

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks in advance!

• Hey @thg,

Thank you for the update and for sharing this.

I'm glad things are back on track, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• jhmoser15p
    jhmoser15p
    Community Member
    Options

Did not fix my issue, how do we get this working again.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles

Things are not back on tracks because there is a bypass to make it work
    The problem is with 1Password for Safari and/or 1Password itself

If we need to delete history everyt time an update of MacOs comes, this is a problem that is not resolved

• @jhmoser15p and @Gilles9

I'm sorry that you're both still seeing the issue, can you confirm that you're both running macOS 14.2 beta 3?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave