Face ID failing and unreliable after update

Options

Comments

• colinvz
    colinvz
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing this issue. It is really disappointing that a bug like this is permitted on such a “premium” password manager and, when reported, takes so long to be addressed. Can anyone recommend more reliable alternatives?

• DalikVee
    DalikVee
    Community Member
    Options

Can anyone recommend more reliable alternatives?

I haven’t tried others except iCloud Keychain, which I’m seriously contemplating returning to because of the ongoing bugs with 1P. It works perfectly on iOS, but it’s not an amazing experience if you use a browser other than Safari on Mac or Windows (which I do).

I’ve been a 1P user on and off for years and it’s a product I want to love, but each update seems to introduce new bugs ever since the release of 1Password 8 (although prior versions weren’t perfect either), which are always reported on this forum and whilst 1P8 has improved massively since launch, it’s still not a “premium” feeling product. I honestly wish I could recommend something else.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello everyone! 8.10.22 includes a fix that makes Face ID and Touch ID more reliable but it looks like more work is needed.

I've flagged this internally so that our team can get this fixed as soon as possible. For now, if Face ID or Touch ID fails on a first attempt, you'll be able to unlock 1Password by making a second attempt.

I'm sorry for the frustration and I appreciate everyone's patience as we work to get this fixed.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26726

• BramBE
    BramBE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update.
    I just wanted to add my voice to this issue since I’ve been experiencing the same issue.

Hoping it will be solved soon.

Thanks

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

Noted @BramBE I apologize for the trouble.

• RealmOfLight
    RealmOfLight
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to see I’m not alone. It’s great to know the development team is actively looking into a fix. Best of luck.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@RealmOfLight

Thank you for reporting the issue, I've let the team know that you're affected as well. 🙂

-Dave

• inter4ever
    inter4ever
    Community Member
    Options

It is really unfortunate to see this issue hasn’t been resolved nearly two months later. This affects the very basic functionality of the app. The quality decline has been disappointing to see, and is making me considering moving to something different after all these years with 1Password.

• DalikVee
    DalikVee
    Community Member
    Options

It is pretty disappointing for a premium service from a company who I’ve always regarded as the biggest name in password management. Of course every app has bugs from time to time, but with 1P it’s near constant.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@inter4ever and @DalikVee

I'm sorry for the delay in resolving this issue, the holiday period can sometimes slow things down. Our developers are actively working on this and I hope to have more news to share soon.

For now, if Face ID or Touch ID fails on a first attempt, you can still unlock 1Password using Face ID or Touch ID by making a second attempt as noted earlier in the thread.

-Dave

• Edison517
    Edison517
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to this thread; I've been having the initial FaceID failure for a while now on my iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17.2.1 w/1P v8.10.23 (81023003). Looking forward to a fix soon!

• @Edison517

I'm sorry that you're also affected, I've let our developers know.

-Dave

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having the same issue as everyone else. It also crops up when I sign in with a passkey on a different device through a QR code. You go through the awkward process of scanning QR codes on with your phone for it to fail after a Face ID scan. You then have to start the QR code process over.

• @Fooligan

Nice to see you around. It may be that our paths have just not crossed. I'll get your report added. My apologies for the trouble.

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy thank you!

I have been quiet on here for a while. Just busy with life and work. 1Password has been rock solid for me otherwise.

• I've remembered your name for many years now. I am always grateful to see the folks who helped shape 1Password into what it is today. You may not have had a physical hand in the process, but your love and passion nudged the team on many fronts.

Tries to step around any term like old, etc. 😆 I realize it was over 16 (ish) years ago I found myself stumbling into this community as a user who had just moved to a Mac and also needed a new password manager. Ah, it's been a long and exciting road. I'm grateful to the folks like yourself who have been here along the way. I'm very happy to hear that 1Password has been working for you. Knocks on wood. 🪵

• andygoldstein
    andygoldstein
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also hitting this issue

-Andy

• Taolin
    Taolin
    Community Member
    Options

+1 here 😔

• gcamp
    gcamp
    Community Member
    Options

An other +1

• @andygoldstein, @Taolin, and @gcamp

I'm sorry that you're also affected, I've added your reports to our internal tracker.

-Dave

• Postmaster
    Postmaster
    Community Member
    Options

Since iOS 17 I also have this issue. Now I have iOS 17.3 and iPhone 13 mini.

• @Postmaster

I'm sorry that you're running into the same issue and for the inconvenience. Our developers have finished coding a fix for the issue and we're currently testing it internally. If internal testing goes well then the fix will be introduced to the beta and then the production version as soon as possible.

Please continue to keep 1Password for iOS updated so that you receive the fix as soon as it is available.

-Dave

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

Problem should be fixed in beta released today. I hope it worked and the fix is coming to the stable version in the next days.

• @bm206

If you're part of the beta please let us know how it goes.

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not part of the beta.

• Thanks.

• inter4ever
    inter4ever
    Community Member
    Options

This bug is unfortunately still happening. It even occurred while I was logging in to post this. Funny enough the bug even exists on the Vision Pro with Optic ID. Also FYI, the Safari extension is very glitchy in Safari on the Vision Pro, but that’s a separate issue.