Face ID failing and unreliable after update

Options
DalikVee
DalikVee
Community Member
edited November 2023 in iOS

Apologies if this issue has already been discussed elsewhere but the latest update to 1Password for iOS has introduced a bug where the first Face ID scan will fail when invoking 1P through Password AutoFill

Steps to reproduce:

• Visit website with a stored login
  • click 1P suggestion above keyboard
  • Face ID scan will often fail, prompting for the account password and immediately and produces haptic feedback
  • Press Face ID icon again and the second scan will usually work fine

Minor issue but it is frustrating having this happen at nearly every login

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.1.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @DalikVee! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into an issue with Face ID when filling logins into other apps. Our developers are investigating an issue that matches the behaviour that you've reported. So that I can confirm that you're affected by this known issue, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24740

• DalikVee
    DalikVee
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again!

The support ID number is [#NAD-54518-575]. I made sure to try and reproduce the issue a few times before creating the diagnostic file

Hope this helps
    Thanks

• @DalikVee

Thank you for the Support ID, your email made it to the right team and one of my colleagues will get back to you as soon as they're reviewed your diagnostics report.

-Dave

ref: NAD-54518-575

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem. It happens on iPhone and iPad.

• DalikVee
    DalikVee
    Community Member
    Options

@bm206

I had a conversation with support who instructed me to do various things such as disabling and re-enabling Face ID, but unfortunately nothing helped. They have confirmed it is a bug with the app and that an internal work issue is open. I suppose all we can do is wait until it is hopefully fixed soon.

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

@DalikVee
    Thx for your answer.

• @DalikVee

Thank you for reporting back, I'm sorry that none of the workarounds helped. Hopefully the issue is fixed soon.

@bm206

I'm sorry that you're also affected by the issue, I've added your report to the internal work item open with our development team as well.

-Dave

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

If it helps: This also happens if I use the Passcode option with Face ID enabled.

• @bm206

Thank you, I'll share this with the team internally. 🙂

-Dave

• lsibilla
    lsibilla
    Community Member
    Options

I have got the same issue after upgrading from iOS 16 to 17.1.1.

I switched from FaceId to PinCode in the app settings and retried turning on FaceId, I uninstalled and reinstalled but neither of that resolved the issue.

I also had some other strange issues (Contact not showing in the Phone app) so decided to shutdown (Settings ==> General ==> Turn Off) and start it up again.

After the restart, 1Password was back to normal.

I hope that might help.

• DalikVee
    DalikVee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that

Unfortunately still happening for me after a reboot, worked the first time, then back to the broken behaviour 90% of the time

Regards

• William1P
    William1P
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here, same device/OS details.

• @lsibilla and @William1P

I'm sorry that you're both also affected, our developers are working on a fix which we hope to release soon. For the time being, when Face ID fails, tapping on the Face ID icon and then using Face ID a second time will allow you to unlock 1Password.

I've added both of your reports to the internal work item open for the issue.

-Dave

• Bostafari
    Bostafari
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I'm experiencing the same issue. It looks like you've already released a fix for the beta version (8.10.22-21), but the TestFlight beta is "full". Can you advise if you'll be opening to allow more users to join the beta anytime soon, and when this fix may be released to production?

• @Bostafari

I'm sorry that you're also seeing the same issue, I've passed along your report internally.

Thanks for your interest in helping us test the beta version! Apple's TestFlight only allows for a limited number of seats. However, inactive users do get removed from time to time and I encourage you to try to join the TestFlight beta again in the future.

If testing of the fix goes well in the beta, it will be included in the production version with a future update. I don't have an ETA on when this will be.

-Dave

• parthp
    parthp
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having same issue. Any update on fix?

• jaycray
    jaycray
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list, same issue on 17.1.2.

• @parthp and @jaycray

I'm sorry that you're both also running into the issue. We're currently testing a fix in the beta version. As soon as testing is complete, and we've verified that there are no issues with the fix, it will be included in an update to the stable app.

For now, tapping on the Face ID icon and then using Face ID a second time will allow you to unlock 1Password if Face ID fails the first time.

-Dave

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

Update from yesterday didn't solve the problem for me ;-(

• @bm206 and @janxb

I'm sorry that you're both still seeing the issue. So that we can investigate further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

[#XRE-43521-967]
    Here is my Support id number.

• @bm206

Thank you for posting the Support ID! The team will review your diagnostics report and get back to you as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

• @janxb

Thank you, one of my colleagues will send you a reply as soon as possible.

-Dave

• DalikVee
    DalikVee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Can confirm this has not been fixed with the latest update, despite working as expected initially.

Thanks

• @DalikVee

I'm sorry that you're also affected. Based on the diagnostics reports sent in by other folks, we've opened a new issue for this with our development team and the team is investigating. Hopefully a permanent fix is released in a future update soon.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26726

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

I received a reply.
    „After some further testing, I've been able to replicate this behaviour on my own device. I've filed a new issue with the development team so that they can continue to investigate and work towards a fix.“

• @bm206

Thank you for sharing with the community. Hopefully our development team can resolve this issue soon.

-Dave