Quick Access - Feedback regarding favorites and suggestion order

Options
hazmat
hazmat
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Mac

Looks like Quick Access hasn't changed at all in 1Password 8. I find it way too dumbed down compared to Mini in 1Password 7 and earlier. In fact, this one thing is keeping me on 1Password 7. I use Favorites all the time. Any improvements coming?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @hazmat! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! We tend to play things pretty close to the chest and avoid announcing changes and new features in advance in order to avoid disappointing folks if something doesn't work out or is delayed.

1Password 8 is a completely brand new experience and there might be a new way of doing something that might work for you. Can you tell me more about how you used favourites in 1Password 7 and I'll see if I can find an equivalent workflow for you with 1Password 8 or file feedback for our development team if I can't. 🙂

-Dave

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave. I have a handful of frequently-used items that I access from 1P Mini. Opt-Cmd-\, then Cmd-, then Favorites. I don't considering having to search for everything an improvement. What's the point of Favorites, then? Is there a quick way to get to them from Quick Access?

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password 8 on one test machine just to keep looking to see if Quick Access got smarter. There are two things I've tried that would be fine for me, but neither has worked. I tried searching for favorites in Quick Access, but no results. I tried adding a "fav" tag in one of my favorites and then searched, but nothing. So it doesn't even search for tags.

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, trying to save you some work, I found some of the stuff you can type into Quick Access. In my case the most useful is "=favorites". That's a lot to type each time I want my favorites. I can make a Keyboard Maestro macro to complete that with fewer keystrokes. Is there any better way to accomplish this?

• @hazmat

Thanks for the feedback, I've let the team know that you'd like to see a better way to access favourites from Quick Access.

So that I can pass along more details: Are you accessing favourites in order to open and fill a login into the browser? If you are then have you considered going through 1Password in the browser instead? You can set it to always show favourites when you open it from your browser's toolbar:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Click Appearance & Shortcuts.
    4. Set Set "Open 1Password to" to "Favorites".

1Password in the browser's pop-up will always open to favourites going forward.

If you're not opening a website but are instead looking for information to fill or enter into an app then Quick Access will show you suggestions that are relevant to the app that you have open. For example, if you have Zoom open and then you open Quick Access you'll see any item relevant to Zoom. You can also associate items with specific apps by using Universal Autofill: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: PB-37473938

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the suggestions, but it's not really as easy as that for me. I often need to get various kinds of info copied to paste elsewhere. So it's not only in the browser or even a specific app. I also find sometimes Quick Access seems to forget where it's supposed to be, so it still has items from the previous web site or search you did. I'd prefer to just have a no-fail way to get to my favorites.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thank you for the feedback. I've shared your comments with the team. 🙂

-Dave

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Incidentally, why does Quick Access not show the actual data in the item? It would be very useful to be able to see how long until a one-time password is going to expire before copying it to paste elsewhere, without having to open the item in a new window. Kind of a waste of time and clicks.

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

This was one of the things keeping me from updating from v7 to v8, and in revisiting v8 on a test Mac, I'm seeing no improvement over a year later. In this case it's my work Office 365 account. I went to office.com to log in, and the autofill list has a direct match for the URL four items down. The top item is a super old hotmail login at live.com. Nothing from that item is at the current site I'm at. How does this stuff work?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• mygoodness
    mygoodness
    Community Member
    Options

I echo all of "hazmat"'s concerns. Like to see the return of favorites in the menu bar, 1pwmini, or whatever it's called. No favorites is main reason I'm still on 1PW7. So, there's that...for what it's worth. Thanks.

• @hazmat

Thank you for the suggestion that Quick Access show the one-time password and timer, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

This was one of the things keeping me from updating from v7 to v8, and in revisiting v8 on a test Mac, I'm seeing no improvement over a year later. In this case it's my work Office 365 account. I went to office.com to log in, and the autofill list has a direct match for the URL four items down. The top item is a super old hotmail login at live.com. Nothing from that item is at the current site I'm at. How does this stuff work?

Thanks for the feedback, 1Password is aware of relationships between domains from the same provider. It will suggest logins for hotmail.com on office.com since they're all Microsoft accounts that can be used to login.

I have two suggestions that might help:

1. You can favourite the Microsoft login that you usually use, this will allow it to show up at the top of the list in Quick Access when on a Microsoft website.
    2. You can create a collection that only includes your most often used logins:

That being said, I appreciate the feedback and have shared it with the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-37507975
    ref: dev/core/core#20651

• @mygoodness

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along internally. One of the other ways to access your favourites that I shared earlier might help: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/701884/#Comment_701884

If they don't then can you tell me a little more about how you are using favourites from the menu bar? I can pass along your use case to the team. 🙂

-Dave

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave, but all of these are workarounds for objectively wrong behavior. If there's a direct match for a site you're at, that should absolutely be the first item. In 1Password 7, ⌘-\ simply fills in that login. I understand that 1Password 8 casts a wider net there, but it makes zero sense to have anything but the direct match for that site at the top of the list. I find it hard to believe that anything but that item would be the first choice 100% of the time.

• mygoodness
    mygoodness
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi, Dave. So, my usage of this feature is pretty simple: There are 5 or 6 sites I visit several times daily. These are all starred as favorites. 1. I click on the 1PW-mini icon in the menu bar. 2. A dialogue box opens. All of my starred favorites show immediately…no searching…3. I click on the one I want. 4. Click on “Open and Fill,” and off I go to the website. Done. Simple as that. Sure would be nice to return that easy, user friendly approach.

One other thought: the link you supplied IS helpful, but (There's always a "yeah, but") I select 'Suggestions" in the browser icon because that will always show data for the webpage you're on. This is helpful if I need to copy a OTPW, or, provided other site specific data..for example, the password doesn't fill or I need information I've included in the fields below the login stuff. I Don't need this every time, and, yes, I can reselect suggestions, but it sure is handy to know it's right there under the browser icon with no other falderal required. Thanks again. Hard to please everyone, I know.

• @hazmat

Thank you, I've passed along your feedback regarding Quick Access suggestions, sorting, and favourites to the team.

@mygoodness

So, my usage of this feature is pretty simple: There are 5 or 6 sites I visit several times daily. These are all starred as favorites. 1. I click on the 1PW-mini icon in the menu bar. 2. A dialogue box opens. All of my starred favorites show immediately…no searching…3. I click on the one I want. 4. Click on “Open and Fill,” and off I go to the website. Done. Simple as that. Sure would be nice to return that easy, user friendly approach.

I appreciate the detailed reply. While I can't make any promises, I've let the team know that you'd also like to see favourites be better exposed when using Quick Access.

Thank you both for helping us make 1Password better. 💙

-Dave

ref: PB-37525894
    ref: PB-37525946

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thanks. If this is added, it will probably be a good time for me to update to 1Password 8. Right now, even though I can pull up favorites with "=favorites", the sorting there doesn't respect what the main app does, so my most-used on isn't at the top.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave