Unable to unlock with Apple Watch

Options
TomGed
TomGed
Community Member

I am running 1Password for Mac 8.10.23 on a Mac mini 2023 (M2) and can not unlock with Apple Watch. My Mac is setup to unlock with Apple Watch and 1Password gives me the option to unlock with my Apple Watch or to use my account password, but the Apple Watch is not asking me to approve. My Apple Watch is a Series 6 watch (model a2292) with version 10.2.

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @TomGed! 👋

I'm sorry that Apple Watch unlock isn't working for 1Password. Are you still able to unlock the Mac itself using your Apple Watch? If you can then can you please try these steps:

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Settings > Security > Uncheck "Apple Watch"). (If you don’t see the Apple Watch option in 1Password then skip this step.)
    2. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Uncheck your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    3. Turn off your Mac.
    4. Restart your Apple Watch: Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support
    5. Turn on your Mac.
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Check your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    7. Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Settings > Security > Check "Apple Watch").

Let me know if that doesn't resolve the issue and I can help further.

-Dave

• TomGed
    TomGed
    Community Member
    Options

That fixed it. Thanks!

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy that the steps helped. 🙂

-Dave

• shanekartz
    shanekartz
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I am having a similar issue, however I am no longer seeing the Apple Watch setting at all in the 1Password Security Settings on older Mac Mini, i9 iMac, nor my M1 Macbook Pro.

• @shanekartz

I'm sorry that Apple Watch unlock isn't working on your Macs. So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me the following:

1. Can you still unlock the Macs themselves (not 1Password) using the Apple Watch?
    2. Have you already tried the steps in my previous post?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• shanekartz
    shanekartz
    Community Member
    edited January 22
    Options

Hi Dave,

So since I posted this, here are the latest developments. Restarting all devices had no effect. Ultimately I unpaired and re-paired my apple watch to my iPhone. That got the unlocking the computers working again. On my M1 Macbook Pro. The unlock with fingerprint shows up in 1Password and I guess that also includes the Apple Watch, because it is working again. On my i9 iMac, it is working as usual and the Unlock with Apple Watch is showing up and working in 1Password. On my i5 Mac Mini, the computer unlocks with the Apple Watch, but the option is still missing from 1Password and I have to type in my master password each time.

And yes, I did try all of your previously mentioned steps.

• @shanekartz

Thank for the reply. It sounds like Apple Watch unlock for 1Password is working everywhere but your Mac mini:

On my i5 Mac Mini, the computer unlocks with the Apple Watch, but the option is still missing from 1Password and I have to type in my master password each time.

Has Apple Watch unlock for 1Password worked with your Mac mini before? Unlocking 1Password using your Apple Watch requires macOS Catalina 10.15 or later and a Mac with a Secure Enclave, can you tell me if your Mac mini is 2018 or newer?

-Dave

• RickyRed
    RickyRed
    Community Member
    edited March 9
    Options

Hi I'm having the same issue with an Apple Watch Ultra on my Mac Book Air M2.
    Apple Watch works in unlocking the Mac, but it doesn't show up the request to unlock 1Password.
    I'm running 1Password 8.10.27 and OS Sonoma - 14.2.1.
    I trie the procedure indicated by Dave_1P here above at the beginning of the thread (de-activating reboot and reactivating), but it didn't work.
    Any other idea?
    Thanks

• RickyRed
    RickyRed
    Community Member
    Options

Update: Now Apple Watch Ultra unlocking is back, working normally.
    What I did: in 1Password settings I unflagged the option to unlock with Apple Watch, then I blocked the App (Shift + Cmd + L).
    Then I unblocked the App using the password as required by the App itself, and put again the flag to unlock with Apple Watch.
    I blocked again the App and then I normally clicked on the App icon.
    The App splashscreen appeared and ... bum! the Apple Watch asked to unlock 1Password.
    Hope this help.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@RickyRed

I'm happy that you were able to fix the issue, thanks for sharing the steps that you used. If the issue comes back, or you need help with anything else, then don't hesitate to let me know.

-Dave

• CHeard
    CHeard
    Community Member
    Options

Just as another data point, I have had the same issue as @RickyRed, repeatedly. Apple Watch will unlock my Mac consistently. Intermittently, 1Password will just stop prompting for watch unlocks, and the little watch icon will disappear from the app's unlock window. In settings, the "Touch ID" checkbox will be present, but grayed out. So far, @RickyRed’s procedure has worked for me to restore watch functionality in 1Password. But this happens to me intermittently, not just the one time. M1 MacBook Pro, Apple Watch series 6, Watch OS 10.3.1, 1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)

• Dave_1P
    Options

@CHeard

Welcome to the community! I'm sorry that your Apple Watch is sometimes not working to unlock 1Password on your Mac. The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave