Deleting old backups and where is my archive vault?

Options
susanO2
susanO2
Community Member
edited January 30 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi Team 1Password!
I've been a happy 1Password user since ~2015 and currently I run version 7 on a few Macs for me and my spouse. Version 8 will not be in my future since it won't store locally or in iCloud (if that's changed I'd love to hear it). I'm cleaning up my data storage and realized that the opvault paradigm is no longer. So a few basic questions:

1.) Can I manually delete some of the backup files that I found referenced in 1Password->Setting->Backup?

2.) I know my iCloud primary vault is stored in CloudKit and I trust iCloud - I've relied on it for many years to instantiate new 1Password installs on new Macs - works flawlessly. However I don't know where my "Obsolete" vault is. I named a vault "obsolete" and put lots of old data in it so that my primary vault is much smaller. I originally did this to pare down my use of 1Password in prep for migrating to another password manager in lieu of being forced to use your cloud in ver 8. My issue now is that I can't locate my actual vault file. I used to use opvaults just fine but it looks like you're no using a more advanced database structure and not just a simple file.

I tried creating a new vault and then searching my Mac for that name but nothing.

If it matters I'm on

• iMac Pro running Sonoma 14.2.1 (APFS disk)

_1Password Version: 7.9.11
_Extension Version: Safari says 7.9.11 from 1Password 7
_OS Version: Sonoma 14.2.1
_Browser: Safari 17.2.1

Comments

• @susanO2

I've been using a membership since 2015. It's got a great track record. We'd love to have you join us. If you'd like to give it a try, please let us know.

As far as the backups go, you can remove some of them if you like. They likely take up little space. But in the end, the choice is a personal one. Did you know using a 1Password membership frees you of backups (locally)? They're kept in your account on 1Password.com. You also get versioning of individual items. It might be a good fit for your needs.

👀 💾 View and restore previous versions of items

As to the older vault, I'm afraid we would not have any indication of where you saved it. It could have been local only (which you searched for) or saved in another provider, such as Dropbox. It could be anywhere. 1Password memberships give you access to multiple vaults, and you can keep them all in one location. I am on the larger side because I like segmentation. I currently have 23. The bulk of them are shared between each of my children and me, and others to ensure each has a private vault that is only accessible by the specific members.

We'd love to have you kick the tires and see what you think. I even was hesitant when I initially tried 1Password memberships. Being hesitant is a good thing. Especially when you're working with things like your digital life. It took me less than a week to decide it was for me, and I moved all of my data over. We may even have a promotion we can offer you, though you'd need to talk with my colleagues in email support regarding that.

If you'd like to talk to the team, email us at support+forum@1password.com. It costs nothing to email the team and see what options may be available. No pressure; the choice is entirely yours. We wish you well no matter which choice you make.

• susanO2
    susanO2
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response. The only cloud provider I use and trust is iCloud. My "obsolete" vault originally came from an old opvault file which I have. But over the last few years it appears that my "obsolete" vault is no longer using an opvault so I'm nervous about moving more items into it as I can't locate the storage for it. In 1Password is states clearly that the "Obsolete" vault is stored on my Mac but I can locate it. My primary vault is stored in iCloud and this is what 1Password states as the location.

I'll log a case to see if I can et anywhere with this issue. BTW, I used eWallet for years before jumping to 1Password in ~2015 when I switched to Mac from PC. I recently dug up my old eWallet file from 2014 and downloaded a new version of eWallet on my Mac and it read my old file perfectly. I was very impressed that they've maintained consistency for over 24 years and don't ask for a subscription or any other "lock-in" features as 1Password has (ie. you're own cloud even though there are dozens of established high quality cloud services available and obfuscating the vaults into DB structures). I loved 1Password for many years, sorry to see the company get so out of touch with customers.

• susanO2
    susanO2
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I figured out how to "find" my "Obsolete" vault by just telling 1PW to store the vault locally and then it re-created the vault and seems to be keeping it up to date as an opvault file on disk. I haven't tried it yet but I expect this to work for my primary vault too. Now all I need to do is find/write a translator to get my data out of 1PW vaults and into my next password manager.

• @susanO2

Thanks for the reply! It looks like my colleague responded to your email on Sunday, if you have any questions or still need help then please reply to that email and the team would be happy to help further.

Since we have a communications channel open via email, I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: SXD-57335-645

This discussion has been closed.