Error when using 1Password in the browser: "Your session has expired."

Options
Hoelder
Hoelder
Community Member
edited February 6 in 1Password in the Browser

Since today, there is a strange problem with the 1Password extension in Edge: When I open a website or click on the tab of an open website, the 1Password sign-in webpage (https://my.1password.com/signin/?a=XXXXXXXXXXX) is being opened in another tab. See screenshot.

This happens only when I unlocked the browser extension beforehand.

When I sign in, the tab is closed automatically. Since the extension is unlocked, I can sign in via the extension.

I already tried to manually open the sign-in page, sign-in and logout, but that doesn't help.

What's wrong here? Does someone else have the same problem?

Comments

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

1Password in Edge continously asks me to sign in, even if I unlocked (signed in) the extension.

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    edited February 2
    Options

Slowly, I approaching the root of the problem: The extension seem to log-out from the online access, even if it's still logged in offline.

Is this in connection with the update to 8.10.24?

By the way: The sign-in page doesn't only pop up if I open a new website. It pops up every few minute if I'm on another website as well. That's really annoying!

• @Hoelder

I'm sorry that 1Password is opening a new 1Password.com tab when using the browser extension. So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. What versions of the extension, desktop app, and Microsoft Edge are you using?
    2. Are you using multiple 1Password accounts? If you are then is one a work account that uses Duo or Okta?
    3. Do you have the following setting turned on or off: 1Password in the browser > Settings > General > "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app".

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27421
    ref: dev/core/core#26988

• timestamp
    timestamp
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same thing: nearly persistent popup windows prompting me to login despite being logged into the extension (unlocked). Version 2.20.0 of the browser extension on Windows Vivaldi. The desktop app is not installed. I am using one 1Password account, and have the "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app" disabled. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

1. 1Password browser extension version 2.20.0
    2. No, I don't use multiple accounts.
    3. I have turned on the option "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app". But there is another issue with the integration. See https://1password.community/discussion/143151/edge-integration-does-not-work-properly#latest
  • mmeyer
    mmeyer
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue on Chrome.

• stefd
    stefd
    Community Member
    Options
  • Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

Seems to be a general problem.

By the way: It doesn't change anything if I turn off the option "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app".

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member
    Options

I have noticed the same problem. I'm just using my Browser (Opera in my case) and suddenly the login page pops up for no apparent reason. I'm not even trying to login anywhere. And now it's getting worse:

The extension is logged out as well but reports a new version:

Is there a problem with the new version?

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options
  • Dave_1P
    edited February 6
    Options

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that you're receiving a message in a new tab that states that "Your session has expired." when using 1Password in the browser. We've received multiple reports of this behaviour and our team is investigating. To help our investigation I'd like to request some logs from your end:

Attach both files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27669

• Rgrin
    Rgrin
    Community Member
    Options

Same here on Brave (Chrome extension). Problem started with 2.20.0. I was following the instructions to get a console log, but an odd thing happened - once I turned on Developer Mode in the 1Password Chrome extension, the problem went away.

I have now disabled Developer Mode on the extension. Still good. I'll continue to monitor, and if it comes back, I'll capture Console Log.

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

I sent a console log and a diagnostics report: support ticket ID is LNX-58362-573

As long as the console was open, the problem didn't occur. As soon as I closed the console after saving the report, the issue occurred again.

• @Rgrin

It is interesting that the Developer Tools helps with the issue. We will look out for further reports of Developer tools preventing the issue and note that in our tracking issues.

Let us know if the issue returns and we can troubleshoot further.

@Hoelder

Thank you for posting the Support ID! I've located your diagnostics report and you should have received an auto-reply from our BitBot. One of my colleagues will sent you a reply soon, so let's continue the conversation there.

ref: LNX-58362-573

• Rgrin
    Rgrin
    Community Member
    Options

I tried closing the Console, and indeed the problem did come back. So I submitted ticket USN-47961-729.

• @Rgrin

Thank you, your console log will help us to investigate further and resolve the issue as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

ref: USN-47961-729

• RicherF
    RicherF
    Community Member
    Options

Your support ticket ID is HNV-29353-282.

Same for me about the console, opening it kinda "resolved" the issue BUT, working on another session (work vs personnal) it continued and the console kept on logging.

• @RicherF

Thank you for posting the Support ID, one of my colleagues will send you a reply via email soon.

-Dave

ref: HNV-29353-282

• timestamp
    timestamp
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I'm still experiencing this issue in Vivaldi. Can you please advise on saving the information you need from my browser? The link in the post above doesn't include any instructions for Vivaldi.

Thanks!

• sheath1
    sheath1
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening in Chrome (Version 121.0.6167.161 (Official Build) (32-bit)). It has been occurring many times a day for probably around a week now.

• Hi @timestamp and @sheath1 👋

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue in Vivaldi and Chrome, respectively. Our developers are currently investigating a few issues that may be related to what you're experiencing. To help us determine what's occurring in your cases, could you both confirm the following?

• Does your 1Password account have two-factor authentication enabled? If so, are you using Duo or Okta?
    • Do you have the desktop app installed? ( @timestamp I see you've answered that you're not using the app previously, so you can skip this one)
    • In the "Security" section of the extension's settings, do you have "Automatically lock 1Password" toggled off?

Once I learn more about the situation on your respective devices, I’ll be able to advise further on whether I’ll need a console log to dig deeper. Looking forward to your replies.

-Trevor

• timestamp
    timestamp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Trevor_1P,

I use Authy for 2FA, and have "Automatically lock 1Password" toggled off.

Thanks so much!

• sheath1
    sheath1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Trevor_1P

• Yes, I've got two-factor enabled using Google Authenticator.
    • No I don't have the desktop app installed, I doubt I can on this box as it is enterprise managed.
    • "Automatically lock 1Password" is toggled off.

Thanks for the assistance.
    Shaun

• @timestamp and @sheath1

Thank you both for the replies. It does sound like you're running into a known issue that our developers are investigating. There are two ways to workaround the issue until a permanent fix is released:

1. Turn "Automatically lock 1Password" on when using 1Password in the browser.
    2. Install the desktop app. You can set your auto-lock preferences there using this guide: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Our investigation has narrowed the issue down to a bug with how the auto-lock feature in the 1Password browser extension works, if the extension is set to never lock then authentication fails and a new tab with a sign in page is opened (as you've noted).

If you turn on auto-lock for the browser extension then the issue shouldn't occur. Alternatively, when the desktop app is installed authentication is handled by the desktop app and not the browser extension which avoids the issue as well.

Let me know if both workarounds don't work for you. We're hoping to release a permanent fix as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27669

• sheath1
    sheath1
    Community Member
    Options

OK @Dave_1P , I've set the auto-lock feature on in the browser extension since I cannot install the desktop app on my corporate box. I'll let you know how that goes.

• kipling
    kipling
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add another data point, I'm having this same issue. 2FA with Authy, Chrome extension auto-lock set to off, and no desktop app installed. The problem with the request to provide the extension console log is that the instructions say to enable it and then reproduce the issue, but the problem appears periodically on its own, and I don't know what steps to take to actively reproduce it.

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member
    Options

Well at least we have a workaround. Tying the password every 8 hours is better then typing it all the time.

• @sheath1 and @krischik

Thank you, let me know if you still see the issue even with the workaround. We hope to release a permanent fix soon.

-Dave

• @kipling

I understand that it can be difficult to send in a console log and I'm sorry that you're also seeing the issue. So that I can determine if you're affected by the known issue that I mentioned earlier, can you tell me the following:

1. Is two-factor authentication enabled for your 1Password account? If it it then are you using Duo or Okta or just another authenticator app?
    2. Do you have the desktop app installed?
    3. In the "Security" section of the extension's settings, do you have "Automatically lock 1Password" toggled off?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• timestamp
    timestamp
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P the workaround of enabling "Automatically lock 1Password" with an 8-hour timeout seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestion, and I look forward to a proper fix!