Touch ID failed too many times with Magic Keyboard

Options
Fortran
Fortran
Community Member

I have two Macs with the same version of 1Password on each. On my MacBook Pro, 1Password happily uses Touch ID to let me log into 1Password. However, on my Mac Studio using a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID I always get this:

and have to enter in my password. Note, the screenshot above was after I'd quit the 1Password app and all my browsers and then just opened the app. I didn't even touch the Touch ID sensor. It just opened saying "failed too many times".

Is there a fix for this? The Touch ID ability of 1Password is really nice, though I suppose if nothing else, this "bug" (?) will make sure I don't forget my password...

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: macOS 13.6.3
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hi there @Fortran

Sometimes you'll need to connect your Magic Keyboard to your Mac with its included USB cable for at least ten minutes to allow it to exchange keys with macOS.

If that doesn't seem to help, update 1Password (8.10.26 is the current version), update macOS Ventura to 13.6.4 (if your Mac has downloaded it but not installed it yet, then things like Touch ID can be inhibited until you do), and restart your Mac in the process.

Failing that, if you're still having trouble, send us a diagnostics report at support+forum@1password.com and you'll receive an auto-reply from 🤖 BitBot. It will contain a conversation number, which looks like [#ABC-12345-123] – post that here and I'll be able to make sure your message goes to the right team. I look forward to hearing from you. :)

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

The updates will hopefully help, but if not, let me know when you've sent in a diagnostics report and the team will be able to help you by email. :)

— Grey

• Fortran
    Fortran
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P Okay I've updated 1Password to 8.10.26 and to macOS 14.3.1 (it was time). And now I get:

So that's...something. I'll plug in the Magic Keyboard and try later and see what happens!

• @Fortran

Thanks for the reply. When you receive that error message, are you still able to use Touch ID (the built-in version) to unlock the Macbook Pro itself? If you can then can you try these steps:

1. Completely turn off your Mac and then turn it on to restart it. (Don't skip this step.)
    2. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    3. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Touch ID & Password.
    4. Turn off all of the features, then turn all of them back on again.
    5. Go back to 1Password and choose 1Password > Settings from the menu bar.
    6. Click the Security icon, then turn on "Touch ID".
    7. Lock 1Password by choosing 1Password > Lock from the menu bar.
    8. Now try unlocking 1Password using Touch ID.

Does that improve the situation? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Fortran
    Fortran
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P @GreyM1P Good news! I left my keyboard plugged in for...let's say 180 minutes (yay work!), and now I can use my Touch ID. Since I changed like 4 things at a time, not sure what did it, but thanks!

• @Fortran

That's great news! If the issue does return, or if you need help with anything else, then don't hesitate to reach out. 🙂

-Dave