There are two or more 1Password Apps on my computer.

Options
Jusacruiser
Jusacruiser
Community Member
edited May 30 in Mac

There are two or more 1Password Apps on my computer. I have two1Password icons on the menu bar. How can I clean that up without losing any of my data?

1Password Version: 2.23.3
Extension Version: 2.23.3
OS Version: Sonoma 14.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @Jusacruiser, thanks for writing in.

I recommend signing into https://my.1password.com and making sure all your logins are there. May I ask which 1Password apps are in the Finder > Applications folder?

-Evon

• DangerDave
    DangerDave
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar issue. When I try to open 1Password in Safari I get two sign in boxes, one that has text reading "open 1Password" and another that reads "1Password is trying to unlock. Touch ID or enter your password to allow this". Touch ID generally does not open the app. I have a MacBook Air M1 running Sonoma 14.5. There are 4 1Password items in my application folder: 1Password, 1Password7, 1 Password for Safari, and 1Password.app.zip.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@DangerDave

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you have multiple versions of 1Password installed on your Mac which can cause issues. If you double-click on the "1Password" icon in your Applications folder then does that open 1Password 8? You can check for the version by using this guide: Find the version numbers for 1Password and your operating system

If "1Password" does open 1Password 8 and you can see all of your items in that version of the 1Password app then I recommend that you follow these steps to remove 1Password 7:

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Right click on any 1Password icons that you see in your menu bar and click Quit for 1Password 8 and Quit 1Password Completely for 1Password 7. See below for what the icons look like.
    3. Open the Applications folder on your Mac.
    4. Drag "1Password 7" to the trash. (Leave "1Password" and "1Password for Safari" and "1Password.app.zip" where they are.)
    5. Restart your Mac.

Then, let me know if you're able to unlock 1Password using Touch ID. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Jusacruiser
    Jusacruiser
    Community Member
    Options

Evon,

I looked at the two 1Password apps in the app folder. One of them looks like a "normal" 1Password app. And the other looks like a Safari "Puzzle Piece" 1 Password app. With these two apps I am constantly signing in.....and very often have to sign in twice. I am including a screen shot that may be helpful. Please advise. Thank you!! Jon

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Jusacruiser

Thank you for posting that screenshot. It's normal to have both "1Password" and "1Password for Safari" in your Applications folder. "1Password" is the 1Password 8 desktop app, and "1Password for Safari" is the browser extension that allows you to save and fill logins in Safari.

With these two apps I am constantly signing in.....and very often have to sign in twice.

You can change how often you're required to unlock 1Password by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac desktop app.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Security.
    5. Change the auto-lock settings.

You can read more about auto-lock here: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Let me know if that doesn't work. 🙂

-Dave

• Jusacruiser
    Jusacruiser
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave!! I have adjusted all my auto lock settings. Now I am just going to "live with it" for a week or so and see how my computer behaves.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Sounds good. We'll be here. Enjoy!