Extension, forum login, Hotmail, and more

fool4
fool4
Community Member
edited September 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am a new user of 1Password. I went ahead with buying a family licence, and thus far my testing has left me feeling ambivalent about my purchase. I am persisting with my testing to give this product a full evaluation, but thus far simple things seem to be wrong or not intuitive.

I will start a separate thread for each, but here, I'd like to just say that there is a serious need for a video tutorial on how best to use the extension for the simple and basic tasks that a new user typically goes through - viz. create new logins, change passwords on existing sites.

Comments

• fool4
    fool4
    Community Member
    edited September 2013

Also, for a firm involved in security, a couple of simple things that would add to a new user feeling comfortable/confident:

1. The registration page for these forums is in plain HTTP rather than HTTPS. People typically reuse usernames, and passwords, and I see no reason why you wouldn't make the registration page be over https.
    2. Upon registering and getting the email confirmation message to my hotmail email account, I got this message from Outook/Hotmail on the email:
      "Be careful! This sender failed our fraud detection checks.". I understand that this is Outlook/Hotmail applying its rules, but why would you not do everything that you could, to make sure that your email passes fraud checks at one of the most used email services? Yes, I do know that I can add the address to safe senders list (that is not the point).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013

Hi @fool4,

Thanks for using 1Password, and thanks for taking the time to contact us.

… tutorial on how best to use the extension for the simple and basic tasks that a new user typically goes through - viz. create new logins, change passwords on existing sites.

The Welcome Guide is loaded when you first install the extension, but here it is again for your reference:

Welcome to the 1Password extension!

It covers all of that and more. If you have a specific question that isn't covered there, I would be happy to address it. :)

The registration page for these forums is in plain HTTP rather than HTTPS. People typically reuse usernames, and passwords, and I see no reason why you wouldn't make the registration page be over https.

That is a limitation of the forum hosting that we are using. Thankfully you have a wonderful tool that allows you to use unique passwords everywhere, so you don't have to worry about reusing them. You can (and hopefully did) generate a new one for this forum. Consider it "disposable" since you can generate a new one any time you want.

Upon registering and getting the email confirmation message to my hotmail email account, I got this message from Outook/Hotmail on the email: "Be careful! This sender failed our fraud detection checks.". I understand that this is Outlook/Hotmail applying its rules, but why would you not do everything that you could, to make sure that your email passes fraud checks at one of the most used email services? Yes, I do know that I can add the address to safe senders list (that is not the point).

We don't have any control over Microsoft's servers. I'd suggest getting a better email provider, though.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@fool4, honestly? There have been a lot of problems in Mozilla's latest versions of Firefox. I think you would have a much better experience in Chrome. We aren't fighting against as many bugs in the browser in Chrome as we are in Firefox. Of course, the choice is yours. I just want to mention that most/all of the extension issues you see may be related to Firefox not 1Password. FWIW

This discussion has been closed.