Dropbox sync wants to create a "brand new vault file" but I already have one

Options
owenb
owenb
Community Member

Hi, sorry if the following is old! Did a search and didn't see this particular issue.

I use 1Password on iOS and had 1Password 3 on my MBP and iMac. I just updated both. I loaded 1P4 on my MBP and it automatically pulled a sync from iCloud. I actually stopped using iCloud to sync 1P months ago but evidently there's a sync file still there from then. I actually use Dropbox for syncing, and my keychain lives in Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.

However when I went to switch the syncing from iCloud to Dropbox it seemed to be asking me to setup a new keychain. It asked "where's your Dropbox?" so I told it, then it showed me that it was going to use the above path so I figured, Okay, clicked Continue and it said

"Ready to sync? Brand new vault file will be created in Dropbox and 1Password will keep it in sync."

But I already have a vault there. I don't want it to overwrite it with a new one and there's no indication it could just use the existing keychain.

So I tried switching my iPhone to iCloud sync, forcing a sync from there, switching my MBP back to iCloud sync and trying that but it's been half an hour and I've tried creating new items on my MBP, quit and restart several times, deleted and reinstalled the app, and it just shows me the contents of the out-of-date iCloud sync from months ago, not the new one.

What should I do?

Cheers,
Owen

Comments

• owenb
    owenb
    Community Member
    Options

Update: have restarted the MBP for a system update and now 1P has synced with iCloud :)

But how do I get it to just use the existing Dropbox, or am I just going to have to wipe out the existing DB keychain and replace it with the one from my MBP? What happens when I open 1P4 on my iMac for the first time, do I need to switch to iCloud etc again?

• Hi @owenb,

A few questions:

1. Is your 1Password data file in the Dropbox folder named 1Password.agilekeychain or does it have _folders at the end? If it does, remove the _folder part and that should get 1Password to pick it up.
    2. Can you tell me the direct path of the data file in your Dropbox folder and also where is your Dropbox folder located?
    3. Did you buy 1Password from the Mac App Store or from our web store?

iCloud data at the moment have to be deleted manually via the iCloud data management on either iOS or OS X, which is why 1Password still finds it even though you stopped using it several months ago. I'll explain how once you can tell me the answers to my questions above.

This discussion has been closed.