Editing login fields in browser extensions

Options
spencmenace
spencmenace
Community Member

Hi,
When say I need to put in a password into my phone and my browser is already open. I will try to find the password needed from the browser extension instead of opening the main app however, when I try to click edit it will automatically open the main application. Is this a known bug with a fix coming? It replicates what happens when you click edit in the mini app from the menu bar. It is happening in both Firefox and Google Chrome.
Sorry if you already know about this but I couldn't find anyone talking about it.

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi @spencmenace,

Thanks for the question! In 1Password 4, we decided to make all editing of items happen in the main application - the edit button in the extension or 1Password mini is a quick access button to edit the item in the main application. That said, we do appreciate the feedback!

• greggsmith21
    greggsmith21
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue and really liked the ability to edit without having to load the application. This is a real pain in the butt. Also when the main app opens, it does not take you to the item you wanted to edit. Example if I'm on Southwest airlines website and I want to edit the login info, I click the edit button and it opens 1Password main app and it doesn't take me to Southwest Airlines, it just takes me to the Logins and sits on the 1st entry in my list which happens to be American Airlines. The other challenge I have now with version 4 is that if I'm on a website and I update my password, I'm not getting an option to update a entry. In version 3 I could choose to update an existing entry. Version 4 has quite a few setbacks from Version 3. Another challenge is that when filling out a form, it would be nice to have the option to capture that form as a recorded form entry so that I can save those inputs for the next time I have to enter my info for the same kind of form. I don't see any way of doing that other than creating a new form from the main app that doesn't translate directly to the what I'm trying to fill in.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greggsmith21,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with the new workflow in 1Password 4. We have heard this feedback from several users and are considering options to make this more user-friendly in the future.

Also when the main app opens, it does not take you to the item you wanted to edit.

This is a known issue. Our developers have been doing a great job squashing bugs lately though, so please make sure that you have the latest and greatest version of 1Password: 4.0.8 for purchasers from the Mac App Store, and 4.0.9 for users who purchased directly from our website. You should see improved behaviour here.

The other challenge I have now with version 4 is that if I'm on a website and I update my password, I'm not getting an option to update a entry.

This is a feature that we know could use a bit of improvement. I do apologize for the inconvenience here. For the time being though, by default 1Password will copy your newly generated password to the clipboard when you hit 'Fill' so if 1Password doesn't behave properly and ask you to update your Login, it's a fairly simple process to head over to the Main App and update your Login. :)

Another challenge is that when filling out a form, it would be nice to have the option to capture that form as a recorded form entry so that I can save those inputs for the next time I have to enter my info for the same kind of form. I don't see any way of doing that other than creating a new form from the main app that doesn't translate directly to the what I'm trying to fill in.

Thanks for the feedback here. I'm wondering if Identities might provide a solution to you. This is another automatic fill type of entry. You can add information such as name and address here and fill in most basic forms. If you're looking for something a bit different, please let me know!

• dma550
    dma550
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, just an FYI, I have the latest 4.0.9 and see the edit wrong item bug still there. Just last night I went to edit "USAA" and was brought in 1password main app to the first item. I grumbled, did a find, but when I did, I got a prompt about overwriting. It had focused USAA, but not scrolled it into view or shown me that I was editing. My find suddenly started editing the title of the entry. This has been around for all of 4.x for me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greggsmith21 and @dma550,

I do apologize for this - I did a bit of further research and it appears that this bug was re-opened. I know this bug is a doozy, and our developers are working hard to squash this properly.

In the meantime, it appears that this bug is restricted to times when the main 1Password app is closed. If you can confirm that 'Edit' behaves correctly when the main app is open, it might be an idea to leave the main app open for the time being.

Thank you for keeping me on my toes here, @dma550!

This discussion has been closed.