Dropbox Sync to iOS not working

Options
lenzb
lenzb
Community Member

Hi,

I saw this post which is similar to my issue, but doesn't seem to be the same:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16959/mac-app-store-version-with-dropbox-does-not-sync-instantly

That issue seems to mention items syncing into the Mac App Store version of 1Password.

I'm using 1Password 4.0.5 (MAS version) with Dropbox sync enabled. Dropbox is reporting that everything is up-to-date.

On my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0.3), I'm using 1Password 4.3.1 also with Dropbox Sync.

I can't seem to even force a sync to my iOS device. The are 4 items in 1Password for Mac that are not showing in 1Password for iOS. I've tried:

• Locking/unlocking 1P for Mac
  • Restarting 1P for Mac
  • Locking/unlocking 1P for iOS
  • Force sync of 1P for iOS
  • Kill 1P for iOS process and start over

I've done all of those steps multiple times. It doesn't seem to matter what I do; I can't get the 4 items to sync over from 1P for Mac to 1P for iOS.

Is this the same issue as the one mentioned above? Any idea when this might be fixed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brian

Comments

• lenzb
    lenzb
    Community Member
    Options

I see this other related post here:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/92139

I've read through it. I'm on v4.0.5, which was supposed to be the version that fixed this issue (but clearly has not).

I'm using the default 1P file location:

~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain

Running latest version of Dropbox (2.4.6) and everything else is syncing without issue.

This is the second time I've had this issue in the past 3 days. Last time it happened, I disconnected and reconnected Dropbox syncing in 1P for Mac, and then I was somehow able to force a sync. But, the issue has happened again and the last 4 items I've added over the past couple of days aren't syncing to Dropbox.

If I look in the data directory:

~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default

The newest file is from Nov. 2 even though I have 4 new items in 1Password since then. Thus, it appears the issue is that the new items in 1Password for Mac aren't getting written out to disk properly?

• NLEdit
    NLEdit
    Community Member
    Options

NOTES A PROBLEM

I'm going to tag on here rather than start a new thread.
    I'm having somewhat of the same problem. I spent the last 6 hours trying to get any syncing at all to work between the MAS version and the iOS versions. This on top of the issues when v4 for Mac was released. I now have a partial sync.
    I kept running into speed throttling errors on dropbox on the iOS versions. I'd constantly get the red exclamation mark. And then the progress bar would slow to a crawl, and if it ever finished it would repeat countless times. I tried wifi sync and the data did not match. I tried iCloud sync, which took forever to "complete," and again no data match. Plus the app crashed numerous times, and would also crash the phone and iPad. Plus the iOS device would auto lock and then sit with the unlock code in the window and not open. I went through countless cycles of deleting and rebuilding the file on dropbox, and trying to sync again and again.
    I did the same with restored versions of keychain backup files. All with the same result.
    At this point after countless resyncs I've stopped getting the speed error from Dropbox. I can now get some new items to sync — when I make some test entries. HOWEVER, almost all my secure notes are now empty. Out of 54 secure notes, all of which contain lines of data on the Mac version, only about 5 of these same notes have any data at all on the iOS versions. That's where I seem to be, now. For whatever reason the Secure notes are not doing a complete sync. I created a new test note, and that did sync. This has been the same for old and new copies of the keychain.
    Ideas? Help?
    Thanks everyone

• lenzb
    lenzb
    Community Member
    Options

I went ahead and disabled Dropbox sync and re-enabled it. That's the only way I could get the data to actually sync (write new files to the ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default directory). Sync appears to be working now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it stops working again (just as it did previously). There's definitely a bug here that needs to be fixed, so it would be nice to get some acknowledgment of the issue from AgileBits.

Thanks!

• NLEdit
    NLEdit
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is still not syncing properly to the iOS devices. One has some items correct, the other has mostly empty items. The two mac pros running 1P 3 are completely hosed, now.

• noisepatterns
    noisepatterns
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I saw in this thread: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/87514/#Comment_87514 that you have to move the location of your sync file. The problem is I don't see my files in the Finder and don't want to screw it up by doing the move manually through the Dropbox web app. Hopefully someone will post a simple walkthrough for how to resolve or Dropbox will provide an update to fix. My solution was to disable Dropbox sync and switch to wifi sync until there is a software update.

The post from @roustem

There are no special permissions and moving the .agilekeychain there with Finder would work. Make sure you wait for the Dropbox to finish syncing and also check the 1Password > Preferences > Sync points to the right location.

It is probably better to disable the sync in 1Password > Preferences > Sync, then move the file, and then enable the sync again.

Please wait for the Dropbox to finish syncing the changes before you use iOS or Android app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @lenzb,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get Dropbox sync working by disabling and re-enabling. Clearly this is not an ideal workflow. If sync does stall again (although I hope it doesn't), please let me know and we'll get a Diagnostic Report from your system to get a better idea about where this issue could be coming in.

Hi @noisepatterns,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty getting 1Password to sync via Dropbox.

The problem is I don't see my files in the Finder and don't want to screw it up by doing the move manually through the Dropbox web app.

I don't blame you for not wanting to move files around without being sure you're doing the right thing. Is your 1Password.agilekeychain file in a non-standard location? (The default location is Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). You should be able to locate your 1Password.agilekeychain file in the Dropbox folder in Finder. If it is not where you expect it and you would like some help tracking it down, please let me know!

My solution was to disable Dropbox sync and switch to wifi sync until there is a software update.

I'm glad that you've found a temporary solution, and we really appreciate your patience as we work to get this properly sorted out. If you have any further questions, we're here to help! :)

• lenzb
    lenzb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

@roustem has already acknowledged that they've identified the cause of the issue I described here:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/92893/#Comment_92893

At this point, it sounds like we're just waiting for a release of MAS v4.0.8 to get the issue hopefully resolved once and for all.

Brian

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Brian ( @lenzb ),

Apologies for duplicating things here - I'm working through the forum starting with the oldest posts. But I'm glad Roustem has been taking care of you. Here's to hoping 4.0.8 is released into the wilds of the Mac App Store soon! :)

• lenzb
    lenzb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

Just wanted to give you the heads-up that v4.0.8 definitely did not address the syncing issues :(

More information on the issue (having the exact same problem as previously) here:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/94570/#Comment_94570

Brian

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Brian (@lenzb),

Since you've posted more information in that other topic I'll follow up with you there.

• scidoc
    scidoc
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem ever since upgrade to 1PW4. Now at 4.08. My sync file is in a non-standard location. I turn off sync and turn it back on, but all that happens is that the data on the iPhone gets uploaded to a new file in Dropbox. How do I tell the iOS 1PW to find the correct file in Dropbox?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi, @scidoc.

For followup about this issue please refer to my reply to you: here. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.