How to retrieve an attached file from a secure note

Options
corsa
corsa
Community Member

I can't figure out how to retrieve a file attached to a secure note to use it. I have tried the following:

1. Drag the file in the secure note to the Finder. 1Password freezes, giving me the spinning pinwheel of death for a couple minutes (eventually comes out of it.)
  2. Double-click on the file. This causes the file to open up in an application, but unfortunately the default app isn't the right app (the file extension is a generic one used by several applications) plus I do NOT want this file to open up in an application.
  3. Right-click on the file, hoping for some sort of contextual menu to appear. Nothing happens, must not be supported.

Is something broken in 1PW4 or am I missing something really obvious? I am using the MAS version 4.0.5.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @corsa,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

The current workflow to edit attachments is click and drag the attachment into either Finder or your desktop, then modify it as necessary and drag it back in. If you only want to view it, 1Password does support QuickLook, so you can click on the attachment and press spacebar to get a closer look.

You're right, the workflow might now be entirely intuitive, and I will pass your feedback along to our developers. A right-click menu doesn't sound like an awful idea to me. :)

I was able to successfully drag-and-drop a file from 1Password both onto my desktop and into Finder - was the file you were attempting to move particularly large? If this is a consistent issue, we'd love to look into it in some more detail, because it should be working for you.

• corsa
    corsa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan, thanks for the reply. The file in question is only 688 kb, so very very small. And dragging the attachment from 1PW to the Desktop is exactly the behavior I would expect, so it is not unintuitive. It just wasn't working for some reason.

However, great news: with the new 4.0.8 update that just showed up in the App Store, dragging the attachments out work just fine. So I don't know if it was just a temporary issue I was having, or if version 4.0.5 was the problem.

Anyway, all good now. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @corsa,

Thanks for letting me know that you're all sorted out - I'm so glad 4.0.8 fixed things for you :)

If you have any further questions, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.