Strange Conflict - Keychain File Missing, but Still Showing Up in Old Plugin

Options
jfm429
jfm429
Community Member

My parents' computer has gotten a weird upgrade path to 1Password 4, particularly since they rarely open the full app and never upgrade browser plugins. Recently, I found the app has at some point been upgraded to version 4 (Mac App Store version) but the plugin is still on version 3.9.19.

The Safari plugin still works. All of their logins are there, and there are quite a few that have been created from the plugin. It shows an error that says the 1Password helper is experiencing problems, but otherwise works fine.

The problem is that the 1Password keychain file... is apparently nowhere.

I had previously set up 1P 3 to sync via Dropbox. I know at some point in the past this has worked, because the 1P Keychain file is in their Dropbox folder. But if I open the 1P 4 app (1P 3 has long since been replaced) it gives an empty window. There's no password content. It doesn't show any backups, even though 1P 3 was set to create them.

I've looked for the 1P keychain file in the following locations:

~/Library/Application Support/ (no 1Password folder)
~/Library/Containers/#######.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/
~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx/
~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/
~/Library/Mobile Documents/#######~#######~com~agilebits~onepassword~osx~helper/
~/Library/Mobile Documents/#######~com~agilebits~onepassword~osx~helper/

None of those locations contain the keychain file. The only possible location I've found for the data that the Safari plugin is grabbing is in ~/Library/Containers/#######.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data where there's a SQLite database.

There is a keychain file in Dropbox, but the file looks to be corrupted and hasn't been modified for weeks. Trying to use the 1Password Anywhere file results in the "Problem loading 1Password data file" error [help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere_troubleshooting.html](article here). When I check the data file it's complaining about, it's "1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionkeys.js" which appears to have data in JSON format, including "SL3", "SL5", and others.

What's going on? Where is the 3.1.19 Safari extension storing its keychain? And why is the 1Password keychain not working?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfm429,

Thanks for providing such a detailed description of the situation. To get this sorted out though, I think we'll need to take a closer look inside the computer. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• jfm429
    jfm429
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent the email.

This discussion has been closed.