Master Password

Options
paddypdx
paddypdx
Community Member

How complex/secure does the Master Vault Password need to be for a home computer and/or an iOS device? I thought I read somewhere that the iOS device does not need as complex a master password as does a home mac/pc? Where is the weak link for someone to hack the password?
Does the master password need to be the same across all computers/devices?

If setting up a different vault for a spouse using the same license, can the second vault have a different password to the main vault?

Lastly, if using dropbox to sync the file, does the dropbox account password need to be complex and long to protect the vault further?

Thank you!

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

@paddypdx

How complex/secure does the Master Vault Password need to be for a home computer and/or an iOS device?

As complex as you wish. * See link at the bottom

I thought I read somewhere that the iOS device does not need as complex a master password as does a home mac/pc?

That was the older iOS version 3 which allowed a separate Master Password for iOS. The current IOS version uses the same password as the Mac or PC. It does however have a quick access pin code (4 digit) that allows well quick access. If you enter it incorrectly once it requires you to enter the Master Password as a safety precaution.

If setting up a different vault for a spouse using the same license, can the second vault have a different password to the main vault?

Yes it can, but the primary vault knows the passwords to the others. So unlocking the primary will unlock the secondary. If they need to open just a secondary they would need to use the switch to vault ... option from the 1Password menu. Then they could enter in the Master Password for just that secondary vault and they would only have access to that specific vault.

does the dropbox account password need to be complex and long to protect the vault further?

Thats a personal decision. I think the current recommendation is 15 characters. I could be wrong on this. I am basing the length on the amount of time it would take a computer trying to crack it etc. Having said that even if they gained access to Dropbox they would need to still gain access to the vault. Which should be stored using a great password.

Here is a blog post about password design http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords/

These are just some quick answers, please feel free to ask away if you have others. Even more in-depth questions etc,

This discussion has been closed.