What's happened with the Mac App Store approval process?

Options
billj
billj
Community Member

It's been nearly a month since 1Password Mac 4.0.9 was posted on agilebits.com. And I would assume it was submitted to the Mac App Store at the same time. But 4.0.9 still hasn't appeared on the MAS. And my understanding is that the MAS approval process goes into hibernation around the holidays. So maybe not until next year?

A week or two used to be the typical time for an app to be approved for the MAS. But a month? Was there something they made you change in 4.0.9? Did your submission slip between the cracks? Or is the MAS approval process broken?

Sheesh.

Comments

• Hey @billj, the current version of 1Password for Mac App Store customers is 4.0.8. Version 4.0.9 is only for AgileBits web store customers. But don't worry, they're essentially the same - just differentiates the two distribution channels. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Woukd it make more sense to give the two versions the same number, but with the AgileBits version having a suffix duch as AB? It might reduce the number of questions such as the above.

• carbonprop
    carbonprop
    Community Member
    Options

My App Store wants to upgrade 1Password from version 4.0.5 but every time I try an error occurs. It tells me to try from the Purchases page but no joy. Is there anything I can do about this?

• RKnudsen
    RKnudsen
    Community Member
    Options

Agile Bits announced the 1Password4 update days ago but there is no update available via the Apple AppStore. Any idea when we can expect an update?

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

If it's been submitted, then the timescale is dependent upon Apple who presumably go through an approval process before the update is released.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member
    Options

Hey everyone,

4.1 has been submitted to Apple; hopefully it will show up in the Mac App Store sometime this week*. It has been discussed elsewhere, but yes, the versions are basically identical. :)

@carbonprop you might want to try uninstalling 1Password entirely, then reinstalling it from the MAS. Here's the steps from Apple:

Uninstall Apps on Mountain Lion

But it should be the same on Mavericks if you have that installed. I'd suggest uninstall, restart, then install from Purchases. It won't affect your data file or preferences, so you should be able to pick up right where you left off.

• It's totally up to Apple, I'd give you a definite release date if I had one.
  • Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

It's been a WEEK since 4.1 was released. Something's got to be wrong here. It's not supposed to take this long. I just wish we could ask Apple about this (I realize it's not AgileBits' fault), but there's no way a one-week delay is normal. Something's holding it up. I just wish we knew WHAT!

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

^ ... Never mind. It's there. About bloody time!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

It was also a week between the direct AgileBits and the Apple release of the last update. Perhaps this is the expected, if exasperating, norm.

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

I notice that the MAS version is only 4.1. What about 4.1.1? Do we have to go through this whole thing again? Or is 4.1.1 just a website version?

• Mr. Laser Beam:

4.1.1 is AgileBits website version, 4.1 is MAS version. Pretty much the same, just differentiates between the two distribution channels.

I think a week is pretty standard for App Store approval. That's just how long Apple takes, there's nothing AgileBits can do about it. If you really think that the process is too long, tell Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

This discussion has been closed.