1Password 4 freezes after Mavericks Time Machine restore

Options
aphoticd
aphoticd
Community Member

I restored my Mavericks installation using Time Machine and now 1Password 4 freezes when I try to unlock my data file.

I've tried the following in order, each still causing it to hang:
1. Recovered an older data file from a Time Machine Backup
2. Used the Start Over instructions to reset 1P4 and removed the web extensions
3. Deleted and reinstalled 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store
4. Used AppCleaner to remove 1Password 4 and reinstalled from Mac App Store
5. Removed Dropbox from the equation and loaded a local copy of the data file
6. Restored Mavericks a second time from my Time Machine backups from the day before (knowing that 1P4 was working on that day)
7. Recovered an older data file from my 1Password 3 backups
8. Reinstalled 1Password 3 and tested that the data files are ok. (1P3 runs as expected)
9. Removed all traces of 1Password 4, reinstalled 1Password 3, confirmed 1P3 runs fine, then tried installing 1P4 from the Mac App Store to upgrade like I did when Mavericks was released.

Still no good. 1Password 4 freezes even when I try to unlock a new data file it has created. It looks like I'm stuck with 1Password 3 for the time being with no Safari 7 support.

Any advice?

Comments

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Options

Wow...that must really be frustrating...

Here's the only suggestion that comes to mind given all the detail you provided. Have you gone into your ~\library\container folder and deleted everything that has to do with 1P?

If you do this...be sure you have your data files backed up somewhere else because they are stored in the container as well...or at least I think they are. Containers use alias a fair bit so you can never be completely sure where things are. However, I do believe backups for MAS 1P are stored there, so be wary.

Hope this helps

• aphoticd
    aphoticd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, yes, I've tried deleting the Agile folder in ~/Library/Containers to reset 1Password 4, still no luck. It seems that my Mac is no longer compatible with 1P4! I tried Repairing Permissions with Disk Utility too, but it doesn't appear to make any difference. I've got the latest update 1Password 4.1 and it freezes with the spinning beachball every time I try to unlock the data file (from within the app, or using the 1Password Mini from the menu bar or Safari). It doesn't appear to be my data file because it locks up in the same way even when I create a new data file.

• aphoticd
    aphoticd
    Community Member
    Options

Still no luck... I downloaded and ran all the tools in the Troubleshooting app and deleted the Agile folders again in ~/Library/Containers/ and found that I then had the option to create a new vault from the 1Password menu, so I tried creating a Demo Vault. Again, 1P4 becomes unresponsive when I try to unlock it - even with this Demo Vault.

I wonder what could the Time Machine restore possibly have done to break the app? Is there some kind of hardware encryption key that would no longer be valid because the files have been moved off and back onto the HDD?

I have been a happy customer of 1Password since v 3.1.3 - but this has me stumped!

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

We're now in "shot in the dark" territory as this makes little sense. Here's what I would/have done when very strange things like this have happened...very rare in OS X...but no less frustrating when it happens to you.

I've bought a little app called "Find any file" from the MAS. I then look for any instance anywhere of the App or Originating company. Here's a link if you are so inclined: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-any-file/id402569179?mt=12

In your case, I'd remove 1P and delete the container folders and any plists from preferences along with anything in app support.

Then run Find any file looking for anything with agile in the name or 1password in the name. Nuke anything you find give it a fresh reboot and then try loading 1P again from MAS

Hope this helps and let us know...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @aphoticd.

I'm sorry 1Password 4 is refusing to cooperate after restoring Mavericks with Time Machine. Please accept my apology for not getting here sooner to help you. Thanks for pitching in with some ideas, The Doctor.

To make this quicker to resolve please email a Diagnostics Report from your Mac that's having the problem; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic and your forum username in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.