My iMac has the 'Beta Build Expired' bug [resolving through email]

Options
Marina
Marina
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

I have the 4.0.2 version of 1Password and it has that 'Beta Build Expired' bug. I've tried to follow the FAQ instructions to fix it, but am stuck at the point of turning off the 1Password mini in my browser. When I click on the Settings gear, the option to quit does not appear in the drop down menu choice.

Question: does 1Password mini have to be turned off before downloading the app again?

As it stands, I'm totally unable to use the Mac app of 1Password, and I'm lost without it. HELP !!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The latest version is 4.1.1 if you got it fripom AgileBit or 4.1 if from the Mac App Store. The update is free. My first shot at fixing you issue would be to install the latest version.

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt reply; are you on 1Password staff? Have you read that FAQ about that particular bug?

Do you mean it's OK to to ignore or bypass the instructions in the FAQ?

Also I'm not certain I want the latest version, as I'm still running ML on the iMac.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

I am not on the AgileBits staff. One is likely to show up and perhaps be more helpful.

I can't think of any reason a Mountain Lion user wouldn't want to update, but perhaps there is one.

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there? I'm still hoping for an Agile tech / staff person to speak to this issue. . .

I'm unable to follow the exact directions of the FAQ on how to do a fix, as describe in my first post. If someone can answer my specific question from the initial post, I'd be so relieved.

• Jasper
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hey @Marina,

AgileBits has been extra busy since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac, so they're a bit slower answering support requests than usual.

I don't think anything really devastating will happen if you don't quit 1P mini first, but it would be a good idea.

What do you see when go to the preferences in mini? You don't see the Quit 1Password mini option?

Another way to quit 1Password mini is to open the main 1Password app and press keyboard shortcut Control - Command - Q. That will quit 1Password and 1Password mini, so you can then manually install the update.

If you're still unable to quit 1P mini that way, run these two Terminal commands:

launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper

Just open Terminal.app, paste in the above text and press enter. That will kill mini.

Hope that works for you! :)

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member
    Options

@Jasper ~ Thanks for responding...

What do you see when go to the preferences in mini? You don't see the Quit 1Password mini option?

Correct, the "Quit 1Password mini" option is not present. And the main app is so broken I can't even Open it.

Thanks for giving me the Terminal commands. Would I copy & paste both of the commands before pressing enter?
    Sorry, I have linear thinking and am not intuitive. And I may be too much of a coward to try it

:sighs:

• @Marina It shouldn't matter for the Terminal command. Paste both together and press enter is fine.

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member
    Options

@Jasper Thank you so much for your help; I'll try it later today.

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sorry, but I'm bumping this thread to get more input. :-)

I still haven't done the Terminal command because I'm a coward and my real-life Tech-Guru guy is on vacation.

My new question is this: Couldn't I achieve the same thing (stopping the 1Password Mini ) by using the Activity Monitor? That seems less scary to me for some reason. (Believe me, if there's a way to mess up things, I will inadvertently find it. . .)

I need to get this done, because the bug in my Mac's 1Password is beginning to interfere with other things. I.e., I now can't manually even enter a password; I continually get warning dialogue boxes about incorrect passwords for the site, and I know this is not true.

Can I please have some help here?

• @Marina I'll tag @sjk and @Megan from AgileBits and hopefully one of them will be able to help you further.

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jasper. I appreciate your help. It's frustrating that I haven't been able yet to get this resolved.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Marina.

I apologize for not getting here sooner to help you. If you send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac that 1P4 doesn't open on we'll help you fix that and any other issues through email; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• Marina
    Marina
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk. Thank you so much! I've sent the email and report as you've asked. I very much appreciate that you've made this reporting process easy to understand and accomplish.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @Marina.

I've received your report and have emailed instructions for downloading and licensing 1Password 4 to replace the expired beta.

Merry Christmas! :)

This discussion has been closed.