feature request list :)

Options
muzh
muzh
Community Member

Here are some things on the top of my 1P wish list:

• make items archiveable. Or, have option for items moved to a vault to be pulled from original vault.
  • make tags editable. Right now I can only delete and create new which can mean a lot of tedium.

Also cool:

• this is minor but it would be nice to be able to reverse the sort parameters: recent on top not bottom, etc.
  • expiration alerts: alert, say 1 month before a credit card or membership card expires.
  • custom templates: give users the ability to create their own categories. They could work with existing and custom field types.
  • Make custom and existing field types re-usable in all categories to keep organization consistent.

(1Password 4 for Mac, Jan 2014)

Comments

• Smitty
    Smitty
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on making an archive items can be sent

Also, it would be nice have the ability to drag items into different categories. Copy/Pasting information to move items to a new category is a real drag.

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on Also, it would be nice have the ability to drag items into different categories. Copy/Pasting information to move items to a new category is a real drag.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Drag and drop among categories would be nice, but I would be surprised if it would be reasonable to expect it. Think about how different categories have different kinds of fields. How would those be handled? Which fields would move to usernames and passwords, for example, if that information was contained in, say, a Secure Note or Membership record?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi @muzh ( and @Smitty and @Davert ),

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here! We're always looking for ways to make 1Password as user-friendly and efficient as possible, and your feedback is always so much appreciated. Now, let's talk some details:

make items archiveable. Or, have option for items moved to a vault to be pulled from original vault.

You're certainly not the first person to suggest an archive feature, and I'm happy to add your vote to the existing feature request in our issue tracker. In the meantime, I've created an archive vault and I store all my old Logins in there so that they don't clutter up my main vault. As far as moving/copying items goes, this is another area our developers are looking to improve in the future. :)

make tags editable. Right now I can only delete and create new which can mean a lot of tedium.

This is another existing issue in our tracker - I agree that editing tags could make life a lot less tedious.

this is minor but it would be nice to be able to reverse the sort parameters: recent on top not bottom, etc.

Have not heard this feature request before - I'll let our developers know!

expiration alerts: alert, say 1 month before a credit card or membership card expires.

I think this is a great idea! This suggestion has also been made for passwords that have to be periodically changed.

custom templates: give users the ability to create their own categories. They could work with existing and custom field types.

This is another popular feature request. Your vote has been added!

Make custom and existing field types re-usable in all categories to keep organization consistent.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you want a custom field to exist in all categories when you create it in one entry?

Also, it would be nice have the ability to drag items into different categories. Copy/Pasting information to move items to a new category is a real drag.

@hawkmoth raises a good point here. All categories have specially designed default fields, some of which must be able to fill in on websites. Because of this, moving items back and forth between categories is not quite a simple feat. That being said, we've heard this request from several users, and we are certainly open to exploring ways to make category changing simpler in the future.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Make custom and existing field types re-usable in all categories to keep organization consistent.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you want a custom field to exist in all categories when you create it in one entry?

It wouldn't seem useful to me to have custom fields propagate to all categories, but it might be good to have them propagate to all records, existing and future, within a category. Like the built-in fields, they would only show when inspecting a record if there were data present, but the new custom field would automatically be available in all future records and in existing records when they are in edit view. (I hope that is clear. I'm not sure.)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @hawkmoth.

If you mean custom fields essentially behaving like built-in fields within a category then it's clear to me. :)

Sharing certain custom fields between some, but not all, categories could be useful (like you said).

This may overlap with custom category/template requests. And

how about a more freeform "Generic" category for items that only require a title, with optional notes and other custom fields? That might be most effective until custom categories are supported

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk

If you mean custom fields essentially behaving like built-in fields within a category then it's clear to me.

Yep, that's what I mean.

And about the generic category proposal, if you added the option for custom fields to Secure Notes, you'd have it, I think.

• muzh
    muzh
    Community Member
    Options

hi @megan,

thank you for your detailed answer on all my suggestions! And thank you for adding my +1 to all the existing ones... :)

Re: my most confusing request about fields and categories:
    @sjk yes, @hawkmoth answered one part of the confusing suggestion: built-in custom fields within a (custom) category.

my suggestion gets a little more complicate though; it would be nice (though maybe quite messy in implementation) if all fields that are built-in to the system (and this would preferably include custom ones that the user has elected to "save", but exclude "one-off" custom fields) were available for use when working in ANY category item. What i'm saying is say there is a date field i want to add to an item in a pre-existing category; of course i can just label a new field and fill the corresponding data, but it would just make it a lot more streamlined (and potentially better integrated in the architecture of the software) if i could choose the "date" field/parameters that are already part of 1p. Maybe there could be a pop-up or shortcut for picking an existing field type. It would also help with smart folders, for example, where a field type suddenly matters much more.

i hope this makes a bit more sense.

• FEDMEF
    FEDMEF
    Community Member
    Options

A suggestion for the future: My credit card has just expired/renewed, and I am engaged in the extremely tedious and prolonged process of going to each and every vendor website that charges this credit card and putting in the new expiration date. 1Password helps make this faster, but still not fast enough. Is there any way of including a feature in the next version of 1Password that will automatically update expiration dates in these websites?

[This would also be valuable if the credit card information needs to be changed due to theft/fraud.]

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @muzh,

Thanks so much for clarifying what you meant! Currently you can choose between text and password for the field type, but we are considering the possibility of expanding this to include other field types such as date. (I've already added a vote in the issue tracker for you here as well.) :)

Hi @FEDMEF,

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here! This is certainly a future consideration, as it will require a fair bit to implement, but I'm happy to pass this request along to our developers. We want 1Password to be as user-friendly and efficient as possibly, and this sounds like it would certainly make users' lives simpler. :)

• shawnlemon
    shawnlemon
    Community Member
    Options

I would really like the ability to easily update the webpage that is used for logins. You know how when you sign up for a site and 1Password saves the signup page instead of signin? That's what irks me. Am I missing something?
    I think I'm envisioning a refresh icon or something just to the left of the website field when you hover over the login item in the browser extension. Does that make sense?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shawnlemon,

Thanks for the feedback! Because of the infinite variety of websites, it could be difficult for 1Password to figure out just where the sign-in page for a website is without some help from you. However, there is a way for you to easily update an existing Login already. Try this:

• Fill in your username and password on the sign-in page (without submitting the data)
    • Use ⌘⌥\ to open 1Password Mini
    • Click the gear icon (the vault icon if you have multiple vaults enabled)
    • Select 'Save new Login'
    • When the dialog box pops up, Click on 'Save new Login' and change to 'Update existing Login'

I hope this makes things less irksome. :)

This discussion has been closed.