FEEDBACK - Why are Windows and Mac Categories Different?

I am a new 1Password user (Splash ID refugee).

The Macintosh client is great. I am able to thoroughly categorize my passwords. Last night I moved the database over to the Windows client on my work PC. Wow, what a disappointment. I have read through the threads referencing the balance in preserving the look and feel of Windows vs making the different platforms have a similar/same user surface.

I get that. What I don't get is why the categories on the Mac side and not 100% the same as that on the Windows side. Really? It can't have been an oversight. What was the developer's rationale? To make maters worse, the windows client is moving data into the wrong fields. If I am able to change the label of a data entry field on the Mac platform, why isn't this very same label showing on the PC side? I haven't spent time in detailing the issues, but I am not able to recommend this as a robust cross-platform solution for storing passwords.

Less functionality on one platform vs the other is a 100% non-starter. Renaming and eliminating categories is the exact behavior you don't want in a cross platform database application.

I also noticed that all the icon pics I updated on the Mac did not transfer. Again, why would such information be "deleted" when moving from Mac to Windows?

What am I missing?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for you feedback, @Feashman!

I believe the only thing you're missing is that 1Password for Mac is at version 4, whereas 1Password for Windows is still at version 1.

Don't despair, though! You can sign up to work with 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

Many (though not yet all, by any means) of the differences you mention are being addressed in the beta builds of 1Password 4 for Windows, and we continue striving to achieve feature parity. We hope you'll like it!

• Feashman
    Feashman
    Community Member

Thanks for the fast response DBrown. If I use a beta version of the software, are there any security robustness risks?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

None. Security of your data is our #1 priority, as always.

• SolarFlare
    SolarFlare
    Community Member

I have 1Pasword 4 Mac and have downloaded Password for PC. Is the PC download the version "1" or the beta "4"? If it is not the beta "4" how do I sign up? Last question -- I presume since I just purchased 1Password 4 Mac on the App Store that I must purchase a new PC version separately--pls advise. Thanx

• SolarFlare
    SolarFlare
    Community Member

I just answered my own questions by checking other support info.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up, @SolarFlare‌. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

This discussion has been closed.