Generated password not saved?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Password generator passwords not being saved.

Comments

• larsentim
    larsentim
    Community Member
    Options

I generated a password, and forgot to copy it down. Nothing shows in my generated password history (in chrome extension), nor is it in my main program. It's my root password to my linux server that I created a new pwd for, and since it wasn't copied anywhere, I can't login now. Is there any cache or any history that I can possibly retrieve the last few generated passwords?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @larsentim,

I'm sorry that 1Password has misplaced the password you generated for your linux server root user. Which version of 1Password are you running?

Please open the main application, select the Passwords category in the sidebar, and look for a Password item there with your missing password. That's where it should be if you used Copy or Fill in Password Generator after generating the password and didn't save/update a Login item for it. If you only generated the password then 1Password may not have ever saved it anywhere.

Another thing to try is selecting All Items in the sidebar, sort the item list by Date Modified, and look for a recently updated item that has the password.

I hope that helps you to recover this password!

• larsentim
    larsentim
    Community Member
    Options

I looked there.. Its not there, but I also didn't click anything (copy or fill). I just highlighted it to copy it. I believe older versions used to just save any recent generated passwords? I thought I've recovered it that way before when I ran into similar issues.

I don't have a copy button so I have to highlight it and cmd-copy to put it in clipboard.

Is there supposed to be a copy button? I'm using 3.9.21.90 with Google Chrome (Mac OSX).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @larsentim,

Thanks for the followup. I've moved this discussion to the 1Password 3 Extensions forum since it fits better here. :)

I've tested the Strong Password Generator with the 3.9.21.90 extension in Chrome and nothing is added under View Password History (with corresponding items in the main app Generated Passwords category) until pressing FILL. You're correct; there is no COPY button in this version.

I don't know if this behaved differently with previous versions. With this version, it's understandable not creating Generated Passwords items every time a password is only generated. Unwanted items can pile up quickly simply by repeatedly clicking the "combo lock" icon until a desired password appears.

It does look like the password you previously generated for your root user was never saved anywhere by 1Password. I'm truly sorry to be the bearer of that news and am feeling sad about it. If we can help you with anything else please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.