Save new login dialog is not given proper focus

Options
markuswarren
markuswarren
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I'm using the latest version (Version 4.2.2 (422001)) and have seen a problem on various sites in Safari (Version 7.0.2 (9537.74.9)) on OS X 10.9.2 where I want to save a new login, either manually selecting the item from the 1Password mini menu, or by the dialog automatically popping up.

The issue is that the dialog does not get focus, ie; it's not the frontmost item. Attempting to click on the dialog to bring focus to it does not always seem to work. If I click on the gearwheel icon in the dialog that does seem to give it focus, but I'm unable to click into the text entry field to change / edit the name of the item.

As for an example site - well, trying to save a new login for this forum exhibited the problem. You can test it by signing out, then tap the sign in option, wait for the sign in popover, then go to the 1password mini menu, select Save New Login, and then you'll see the issue.

Is this a known issue?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @markuswarren,

Thanks for reporting this. It's not a generally known issue and I haven't been able to reproduce it here. Which version of the 1Password extension for Safari are you using?

When this problem happens, does the 1Password AutoSave window remain in the foreground (but unfocused) above other windows even if you try covering it (e.g. with a browser window)? And does it appear normally in Mission Control?

Do you have any third party software that might be interfering with normal AutoSave window behavior?

Once we can isolate what's causing this I'm sure we'll have a solution for it. Thanks for your help with troubleshooting!

• markuswarren
    markuswarren
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about the delay in replying.
    Browser extension version is 4.1.0 (I just uninstalled and reinstalled, so likely have the latest version)

Yes, it remains in the foreground, but unfocussed when I open / switch to other browser windows.

I don't typically use mission control, but just entered it, and the dialog is displayed there, and if I select it from mission control, it does not focus the dialog.

I do not believe I have any third party software installed that would be conflicting with this. I have seen this issue on my work iMac and also my home iMac, so it's not just one machine.

If there is anything else you need (if you want me to try a beta version of the extension for example) let me know and I'll give it a shot. If there are debug logs I can provide, again, let me know.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @markuswarren.

It turns out there are known cases when the AutoSave window will open without having focus. We're still isolating the cause(s) so we're able to fix it. Is it happening with any consistency on either of your systems? For instance, can you reproduce it multiple times in a row? And have you found a workaround that temporarily prevents it, e.g. restarting 1Password mini and/or Safari?

If you'd like to give the beta extension a try, open the 1Password Extension page for 1Password 4 in Safari, then select Enable betas before clicking the big green Install button. Although it's a beta and may still have minor rough edges it's getting close to an official release.

Your help with resolving this problem is appreciated. Thanks!

• markuswarren
    markuswarren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, It is pretty consistent on both of my systems. I'll try and run a couple more tests to absolutely confirm this, plus I'll also try the beta and see if that helps at all.
    I'm also trying to think of when this started happening, as it never used to happen, it's only been within the past two months (trying to recall what versions of 1Password I've updated to during that timeframe, it could be something related to a fairly recent release)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again for your feedback, @markuswarren.

For the moment I hope it's helpful to know this issue, while infrequent and elusive, isn't isolated just to you. :)

• markuswarren
    markuswarren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I see 4.3 has just been released, so I'm going to remove the browser extension, upgrade to 4.3, reinstall the new extension and then see if the problem still exists. I'll post when I have the results.

• stanward
    stanward
    Community Member
    Options

I have recently started to see what sounds like a similar issue. I am seeing it on Mac OSX 10.9.3 with 1Password Version 4.4.1 (441006) Mac App Store. I have duplicated this issue in Firefox 30.0 and Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153. It is a real pain trying to save new website logins with this issue happening. Would love to hear that there is a fix. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stanward,

I'm sorry to hear that this issue has been bothering you! Unfortunately, I don't have much of an update for you at this time. But I'll mention to our developers that you are keen to see a fix for this soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.