1Password 4.5: Dropbox Sync requires set-up

Options

Comments

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone who's seeing Conflict sections in their Logins should see this thread.****

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lyingidle‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. You're right, there is a bug in 1Password where older entries can take precedence over new ones. The good news is that our developers have already fixed this, and you should see an update soon that has things behaving properly. Unfortunately, this issue only appeared after release, or we certainly would have taken steps to prevent this!

I am very sorry for the frustration it caused you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SherylC‌

Oops, you got me there. Our sync pane has changed slightly in the new update, and I neglected to update my instructions. To disable sync on your iOS device: open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync'. (I've amended my earlier instructions to be more clear.)

When I go to settings on my iPhone and then to Sync>Start Syncing I get 4 choices: Sync with iCloud, Sync with Dropbox, Sync using wifi, Import from iTunes. When I chose Sync with Dropbox it shows my name and says using 1.79GB of 4.43 GB.

It sounds to me like you don't quite have Dropbox fully set up yet. From this screen you want to tap on your Dropbox account name and then select the appropriate vault. Then syncing should begin.

On both my iOS devices (iPhone & iPad) there is an additional file called .ws.agile.1Password.settings that doesn't appear on my computer Dropbox folder

This file is generally hidden in your computer. It's simply a file that helps 1Password find your keychain within Dropbox. Now that multiple vaults are available on iOS, it is no longer needed for Mac or iOS, but if you use Windows or Android with 1Password as well, you don't want to delete it just yet.

There were two 1Password.agilekeychain's on my Dropbox. One had very little in it and the other had a lot. I removed the one that had a little from Dropbox on my computer. When I look at the Dropbox folder on my iPad the wrong one is there. How do I make them sync so that the one that is on the computer matches the one on the iOS device?

Resetting sync as in my instructions above should ensure that your iOS devices get the data from your Mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @janericster and @aitsu,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. Please understand that 1Password 4.5 did undergo extensive beta testing. This issue managed to sneak by because it occurs during the migration process between 1Password 4.3.2 and 1Password 4.5, something that is not easily testable in the normal beta process. Of course this doesn't make it any easier for you right now, so let's see what we can do to get this sorted out!

In most cases, resetting sync has gotten things working smoothly, so we'll need to search for alternative solutions here:

• Do you have multiple Dropbox accounts?
    • Do you have multiple vaults enabled?

The more information you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to track this down!

• dltom
    dltom
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, can you please direct me to the list of what I need to do to sync my iPhone to my Mac using Dropbox. My attempts do so so far have failed. I have 1Password 4.3 on the Mac and I think 3.5 on the iPhone. I have Dropbox on both, running. I know its easy, but I can't see how to do it!

• dltom
    dltom
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I have had another try. On my iPhone, I open 1Password go to Settings, press Sync, press Start Syncing, Press sync with Dropbox, press David Tompkins, press /1Password.agilekeychain, I get message - "Error 1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile." So my attempt to Sync fails. What am I doing wrongly?

• arminmayrhofer
    arminmayrhofer
    Community Member
    Options

I also get the issue with not being able to sync the 4.5 version from ipad and iphone to dropbox.
    The app recognized dropbox, I press 'allow' and then I receive the error message that no vault is detected. After which the app crashed (both on ipad and ios), this is starting to be a very worrysome issues and it's fully blocking me to do anything with password updates in the wake of heartbleed on ios, other than manually copying over complex passwords. Would be grateful for a fast fix/advice.
    ios version: 4.5
    dropbox version: 3.1.2
    Windows version: 4 Beta 473 (note that dropbox synch worked fine for weeks through dropbox and while using windows beta)

• arminmayrhofer
    arminmayrhofer
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update to my earlier comment.
    I was able to resolve this after reading the instructions earlier and resetting my vault to the default. Now works again for ios. I'm very much looking forward to having proper multi-vault enabled, so that I can use 1password for both me and my wife across mac, windows and ios.

• choralsinger
    choralsinger
    Community Member
    Options

I've read these threads, but the suggestions haven't worked for me. I've tried restarting dropbox sync, but either it seems to work, but passwords haven't updated, or I get an error message "Failed to upload file to dropbox". I recently upgraded my iMac to version 4 and am running the current version of ioS. How do I get the ioS version to sync with the desktop?

• rjllane
    rjllane
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there.

I am suddenly not seeing any sync between Win7 PC, iPad and iPhone recently after years without trouble. I'm using Dropbox. All devices have clear access to Dropbox. I've tried disconnecting Dropbox and then reconnecting. If I read correctly in this thread ... v4.5 is not recognizing non-default vault names (e.g., my real vault starts with 20110310...). Is this correct? If so, when can I expect a new version to be posted on the App Store that fixes this?

Many thanks ... rjllane

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dltom,

I am so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting sync set up here. Let's reset sync to start fresh:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @arminmayrhofer,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things synced up! I do apologize for the trouble here, our developers are looking to make vault-name a less rigid requirement in the future.

Hi @choralsinger‌

Sometimes Dropbox can have problems with the initial sync if you have a larger database. Please use the 'try again' option and see if sync behaves better this time!

Hi @rjllane,

You are correct, the iOS app is going to be looking for a "1Password.agilekeychain" for the primary vault. It will not find any other keychains. I do apologize for the trouble here, our developers are working on ways to change this in the future, but for now renaming your vault to the default 1Password.agilekeychain will help you get all synced up.

• dltom
    dltom
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Megan, but I can't get beyond step 1. I opened 1Password on my iPhone, went to Settings, tapped Sync. What opened was headed Sync. Below was Primary Vault in grey. Below was Start Syncing. Below was Items 2,147,483,647. If I tap Start Syncing, I get Choose a Sync Method, below which are four choices including Sync with Dropbox. If I tap Items on the previous page, nothing happens. Nowhere can I find Sync Services or Disable Sync.

I assume I have the latest version of 1Password on my iPhone as I bought it only a few weeks ago. But I can't see how to check for updates.

Thanks for your help.

• janericster
    janericster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, Megan. Here are my answers to your questions:

1) I only have one Dropbox account
    2) I only have one Vault enabled (Primary)

And as I mentioned earlier, I never rename the keychain file in Dropbox...always use the default name.

The sync worked the other day when I completed uninstalled everything and started over. But it appears it only synced from the dropbox once. Then, when I made new additions/changes to my accounts from my Mac, those don't get synced to my iPhone via Dropbox. It acts as if it is syncing and I don't get any message or error. But when I check my accounts, no changes/additions are showing up on the iPhone.

I am using an iPhone 5 with the latest firmware 7.1.1. Both my Mac and iPhone are using the latest versions of 1Password. The Mac's version was purchased and installed via the Mac App Store.

Hope this provides the info you need.

Thanks.

• rjllane
    rjllane
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @Megan.

Thank-you for the confirmation of my reading of the situation with respect to v4.5 (iOS). It is at least comforting to know what the problem is, and the clunky work around to get back up and running (for now) with just 1 vault. You are doing a stellar job keeping up with all this traffic - with this iOS bug, not to mention all the other things that must be happening to do with HeartBleed.

Have a terrific day ... and keep up that smile we can see in your profile / avatar picture ... rjllane

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dltom,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble here. If you are seeing the 'Start Syncing' message on the screen, then this means that sync has not been fully set up. Let's try this. Follow the directions here to fully set up Dropbox sync on your iOS device. (Essentially, you'll tap 'Start Syncing' and select Dropbox, but the article above has lots of pictures to help you through the process!)

Hi @janericster‌

Thanks for getting back to me with that extra information! I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues. I'd like to take a closer look at your system to see if we can better track this issue down. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Hi @rjllane‌

Thanks again for the kind words! I'm sorry that the workaround is rather 'clunky', we'll do what we can to make things better soon!

• Amitava
    Amitava
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌ thanks for your earlier (days earlier actually) response to my comment on Dropbox sync. Really appreciate the effort you've put in to responding to this discussion!

I am still trying to wrap my head around sync. Is there some official documentation on resolving sync conflicts on iOS?

Also, currently I have two versions of a login on iOS and Mac, even after sync, disabling and re-enabling sync, etc. How do I resolve this?

Thanks again for your help!

• dltom
    dltom
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Megan. I was unable to follow the instructions on the page to which you referred. But when I went through the usual routine on my iPhone, this time it synced. So I hope it will continue to do so.

Many thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Amitava,

Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm sorry that sync is still bothering you, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Unfortunately, our document team is currently working to refresh our documents, so I don't have a fancy linked article to provide for you here, but I'll do my best to explain things.

The problem here is that the iOS app was incorrectly assuming its information was the newest and most up-to-date information. So when a user made a changes to their database on their Mac (as so many people are currently doing because of Heartbleed) the iOS wouldn't recognize that the information being synced from the Mac were newer. This resulted in old information showing up in the standard fields, with the newer information from the Mac being saved in a 'Conflict' section instead of where it should be. Unfortunately, there is no automatic way to resolve the conflicts. You can create a Smart Search in 1Password 4 for Mac that will show you the items that do have conflicts (File > New Smart Folder > Conflict fields are present), but you will need to resolve these conflicts manually.

The same goes for duplicate Logins. If you are seeing more than one Login for a particular site, you can compare and then remove the duplicate. Our Security Audit feature in the sidebar can help show you where duplicate passwords exist to make this process easier.

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any further questions!

Hi @dltom,

I'm sorry that my steps weren't helpful for you, but I'm so glad to hear that you're all synced up! Things should work smoothly for you from here on out, but we're here if you hit any further snags! :)

• Jono
    Jono
    Community Member
    Options

I'm another one who's having a problem with 1Password crashing while trying to set it up on my wife's iPhone.

I go through the setup process of syncing with Dropbox, tell Dropbox to allow 1Password. It doesn't find the 1Password keychain, I guess because it's been renamed (as it lives in a Dropbox folder and I have my own keychain in another Dropbox folder I renamed my wife's keychain), and crashes at the screen where it says 'Not found. No 1Password.agilekeycjain…'.

I don't want to rename the keychain, so I'll wait for a fix :)

• Jason Gaines
    Jason Gaines
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Nothing makes me more sad to say this, but 1Password has likely reached the end of the road for me, and for my clients. I have renamed keychains like most of the other people here. All of my clients do, as well! This didn't come out in QA? Really? Multiple vaults was a hallmark feature! I don't buy it. This is a huge misstep.

Dropbox sync continuously fails without a verbose log? No, thanks. How am I supposed to have a shared Dropbox folder with two keychains with the same name? Doesn't work.

I have been with 1PW since the beginning. Unfortunately, I feel AgileBits is feeling the "iterate or perish" problem many companies face. The same happens in academia with "publish or perish." Please just keep it simple. It used to work...fantastically! New features are great, but not at the cost of stability. I look at Nero burning ROM and feel the same way. They were bullet proof and then became highly buggy and not worth the trouble. Well, we don't burn discs anymore so I guess it's moot.

I am now asked to use workarounds to achieve previous functionality. I do not trust workarounds at any level with cryptography. This feels like when I loved PGP, until they were horrible (bloated and buggy, poor release cycles [not a problem with 1PW]), and then were bought by Symantec to become more horrible. I am using the local iOS dummy vault workaround for now, but actively looking for other solutions. Breaks my heart, but likely moving on.

Please give me a reason to stay.

• Jason Gaines
    Jason Gaines
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Can I download the previous version? I could care less about the flat design. It'd be nice to have multiple vault support, but I'd rather go back what worked.

• MrRooni
    Options

@Jason‌, I'm sorry for the trouble that you're seeing as a result of the changes we made for multiple vault support. Rest assured that the door is not closed on this issue and we will be revisiting it when we can do so in a manner that doesn't people's personal data at risk.

In terms of downloading the previous version, I don't believe that's possible from the App Store. However, check your iTunes library, you may have an older version there that you can install.

• atabor
    atabor
    Community Member
    Options

I also had problems syncing my iphone with Dropbox after upgrading to version 4.5.1. The posts are a little confusing. Both my key chain file and folder had custom names, which i presumably specified at some stage in the past. I renamed the key chain file to 1Password.agilekeychain as per the posts but this made no difference. I then renamed the folder in Dropbox to: 1Password.agilekeychain and then the iphone app could find the keychain and sync ok.

• agileevacus
    agileevacus
    Community Member
    Options

Hello - I purchased V4.5 as an upgrade today. The sync worked fine on my iPhone but not on my iPad mini. The screen shows "Authenticating..." and locks up every time. What is the work-around for this?

Thanks...Jerry

• karenjm
    karenjm
    Community Member
    Options

I really don't want to have to re-name my agilekeychain file and recreate it on my computer and my iPad and iPhone to get everything syncing again! Everything worked so beautifully and easily before. Please hurry to get the app able to search for a filename other than 1Password.agilekeychain. Very sad I downloaded the updated app before I knew about this problem.

• MrRooni
    Options

@agileevacus I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting 1Password 4.5 up and running on your iPad mini. Are you starting with a fresh install or did you already have a version of 1Password 4 installed there?

• MrRooni
    Options

@karenjm Thank you for your input, we will make sure to take it into account.

• agileevacus
    agileevacus
    Community Member
    Options

Rooni - Already had a version installed. After 6-8 attempts, it finally took. Working now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @agileevacus‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm sorry it took you a few tries though, that's less than ideal. If you run into any further snags, do let us know right away - we'd be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.