1Password 4.5: Dropbox Sync requires set-up

Options

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, can you expand on exactly why you're recommending that we reboot our computers and iOS devices (step #5 in this thread)?

Many of us have no desire to reboot one or more Macs when a more soft-handed approach (even if it is a more technically involved one) is actually what is needed to accomplish the goal. Surely, turning off 1Password's folder syncing and waiting for Dropbox to accomplish its file deletions cannot be tripping up something at the OS X system level, or on the iOS side.

• guiambros
    guiambros
    Community Member
    Options

Oh boy, what a mess! +1 here with problems on non-default agilekeychain folder name.

I fixed by creating a sub-sub-folder named 1password.agilekeychain. Inelegant, but at least I can keep my folder structure intact. I also had trouble sync'ing with iOS. It would stop halfway, complaining about "Failed to list remote data folder in Dropbox". Had to kill the app a couple of times and force a re-sync, until it finished.

What amazes me is that 1P already keeps a silly .ws.agile.1Password.settings in the Dropbox root folder. Why can't it simply read the file and detect where the keychain is stored? Or, better yet, just ask the user to select the folder location? No need for random files in the filesystem or anything.

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm lost. Read the discussion. I succesfully synced my iPhone and my iPad air. On my iPad2 I see no progress. I have 4.5.1. I see as vault my Primary (and only) vault. If I select it or sync, and the "start syncing" it asks to chose a Sync method. I chose Dropbox, my name and account come up but I see no progress and nothing seems to happen. I tried rebooting the iPad. Don't think I should turn everything else off, should I?
    Please help

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

Went to the thread where you recommend turning off sync and rebooting. On my iPad2, the one I can't sync, there is no "disable sync".
    I opened dropbox on my Mac and found there are numerous 1password.agilekeychain from 2013. I opened the most recent one and it had recently upgraded passwords.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MartyS‌

Thanks for the question! OS X Mavericks and iOS have a tendency to cache a lot of things. Restarting your system will clear them out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @guiambros‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting synced up since the update, and I will be happy to add your vote to the feature request for custom-named keychains.

1P already keeps a silly .ws.agile.1Password.settings in the Dropbox root folder.

This file was used to help 1Password 4 for iOS find the keychain if the user had moved it from the default file location. Now that 1Password 4 for iOS supports multiple vaults it is no longer necessary on Mac and iOS (although the Windows and Android apps do still make use of this file.)

I hope that sync works reliably from now on, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tommy,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. It sounds to me like sync on your iPad hasn't been fully set up. Please follow the instructions here to set up Dropbox sync on your iOS device.

If you're still unable to get sync working, please let me know and we'll investigate further!

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Megan.
    Looks like I had to wait. Now it worked. The strange thing was that when I selected sync dropbox it would show my account, my name and an incorrect number of Megabytes and a correct number of GB available. Previously when I selected my primary vault, I hit upon the same snag. Now I selected sync with dropbox and that didn't work. I selected my primary vault, sync with dropbox and away it went and synced properly.
    Maybe it was because I had opened the dropbox agilebits.password inside my dropbox on my iPad2.
    Now my concern is that I have 12 1password files inside my 1password folder in dropbox. The last one modified 9 months ago, the others older, however they seem to have current information when I open dropbox everywhere on the newest one..

• MrRooni
    Options

Hello @tommy. If your Mac has the most up to date information out of all your devices it might be prudent to disable syncing everywhere, delete all the .agilekeychain files from Dropbox and then setup syncing again from your Mac so that it pushes a fresh file to Dropbox. Let me know if you'd like some steps to accomplish this.

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

Just to be safe, please let me have some steps. I see how to disable sync on my ios devices, but not on the Mac. In addition, do I delete the agile folder from dropbox, or just the multiple .agilekeychains?
    Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tommy,

Here's how to reset sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

If you have any questions about these steps, please let me know! :)

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. Did everything you said. Disabled sync, removed data from Dropbox. Restarted all devices. There was nothing in the Dropbox Folder inside the 1Password folder.
    It synced very quickly - light right away.
    I waited a bit but now none of my iOs devices sync. Before disabling sync, I had disabled sync on my iPhone and the tried to reenable it but was unable to do so.
    Now, when I try to sync I seem to go to my dropbox folder, it shows my name, my account, an incorrect reading of what I am using in dropbox and a correct reading of what I have available. I had this situation with my iPad2 and it went away by magic. Now I have it on all my iOs devices.

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

Finally got it to work on two of my iOs devices (haven't tried the third) but get a message in red saying "could not download files from dropbox".
    Messed around - opened Dropbox on the iOs device and now it works. Also it seems that when I select sync with dropbox there is a blue i in a circle that brings up the wrong box. You have to tap the arrow next to it it get it to ask you to chose the vault and then it syncs.
    So, it is quircky, but seems to be working fine now on all my devices.
    Thanks for all your help.

Tommy

• sfross
    sfross
    Community Member
    Options

I'm late to this thread as I didn't realize I had a problem syncing my iOS devices until yesterday. I haven't been getting error messages and it appeared everything was syncing. However, over the last couple days I've changed my email address and passwords on many of my 1Password settings. I decided to double check my iOS devices to be certain they were up-to-date and noticed that even though they appear to be syncing they aren't.

On my Mac (OS x 10.9.2), I'm running 1Password 4.4; I bought 1Password for Mac directly from Agilebits before the App Store existed. As near as I can tell, 4.4 is the most up-to-date version. That version is working fine.

But, my iPad, iPad mini, and iPhone, all of which are running 1Password 4.5.1 for iOS (7.1.1), are not syncing. They are all linked to the correct Dropbox account and have the correct password & email info. I only have 1 vault, which is in my Dropbox folder; it has its original name: 1Password.agilekeychain, I've never changed the name. Dropbox is installed on all iOS devices.

Everything has been syncing as it should for at least a couple years, it just now went haywire and I haven't changed any settings. I've tried to reset the Dropbox sync on all iOS devices following all the various steps mentioned in previous posts in this thread, but that hasn't helped. Still shows that it is syncing, but it isn't really.

How do I get my devices to sync with my Mac/Dropbox again?

Would changing the syncing from Dropbox to iCloud be a possible solution? If so, how do I safely "break" the current Dropbox sync and change to iCloud sync without making things worse and/or mucking up 1Password on my Mac?

Thank you.

srlanza

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tommy,

I'm so glad to hear that you eventually got everything to sync up! Just to explain a little bit about what was happening here:

Now, when I try to sync I seem to go to my dropbox folder, it shows my name, my account, an incorrect reading of what I am using in dropbox and a correct reading of what I have available.

This setting was added due to a new Dropbox feature (Dropbox for Business) which allows you to be logged in to multiple Dropbox accounts at a time. For users who use Dropbox for business, we need to ensure there is a way for them to select the correct Dropbox account for their vaults.

Finally got it to work on two of my iOs devices (haven't tried the third) but get a message in red saying "could not download files from dropbox".

Occasionally, Dropbox will have a bit of trouble with the initial sync, as it is downloading your entire database. Future syncs should work a lot more smoothly.

If you do notice any other problems though, we're here to help! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @srlanza,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble keeping 1Password synced up lately. Now, a complete reset of sync, as has been suggested previously in this thread, usually is successful in getting things back to normal. Since you've already tried the fixes suggested earlier (please go through those steps in full if you have not already done so), we'll have to take a closer look at your system to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• sfross
    sfross
    Community Member
    Options

Megan:

Just emailed the Diagnostics Report from my iPad.

srlanza

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @srlanza‌

We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details.

• Scott Whittaker
    Scott Whittaker
    Community Member
    Options

Adding additional vaults from Dropbox seems to work fine on both the Mac and iOS clients. The main issue seems to be the default vault which can't be edited or deleted, and on the iOS client is hard coded to look for the default vault name and nothing else.

Seems to me the easiest way to fix this would be to get rid of the default vault altogether and have the app open the last vault it was connected to. Sounds simple and would solve most of the issues people are having.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts. Our developers are currently looking into ways to make vaults more flexible on iOS. We'll do our best to have a solution here soon. :)

• lrwebbmac
    lrwebbmac
    Community Member
    Options

I have also just noticed that my 1pwd 4.5.2 iOS app is not syncing new passwords. I can't get into my ebay account has it has the old password.

My Mac app has the correct data, as does my Dropbox file.

I've chosen 'stop using account' in the Dropbox sync settings of the iOS app (new to 4.5.2 I think) and reset the sync but it still down't work.

Help!

• Ben
    Options

@lrwebbmac‌

Please send us a diagnostic report from each device to support+forum@ agilebits .com You can find instructions on doing so here: http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email(s), along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Reports in our inbox.

Once we see the reports we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• lrwebbmac
    lrwebbmac
    Community Member
    Options

Resolved via Twitter. Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Thanks! Would you mind posting what the resolution was, in case anyone reading has the same issue?

• lrwebbmac
    lrwebbmac
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, basically, I disable sync on the Mac, removed all 1password data from Dropbox, disabled sync and erased data and settings on the iPhone and then re-enabled everything.

• June_1942
    June_1942
    Community Member
    Options

On my iPhone, in 1Password settings, the sync Dropbox was off.
    I turned it on, but when I entered my Dropbox password, it would not take it; i.e. the password field became blank again.
    Now the 1Password app is crashing every time. I enter my master password and the screen goes dark!
    So I am unable to do anything with the app on my iPhone.

• caibolivia
    caibolivia
    Community Member
    Options

I joined 1Password yesterday, have succesfully started using it on my Mac, but Haven't been able to use it on my Iphone4s running on iOS7. It asks for syncing options and the app crashes every single time I choose dropbox sync.

Please advise.

• Ben
    Options

@June_1942‌ Which version of iOS do you have? And which version of 1Password for iOS? 1Password is not compatible with the iOS 8 beta.

@caibolivia‌ Which version of 1Password for iOS do you have installed?

• bdee1
    bdee1
    Community Member
    Options

I am having trouble syncing too. I have the 1password trial for my mac (will purchase a license if I can get this working) and just bought the iOS app. I have the dropbox sync set up on my mac and when I try to set up dropbox sync on my iPhone, It authorized dropbox and then on the screen where I should choose my vault, it is just a blank white screen... nothing to select.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bdee1‌

Thanks so much for testing 1Password out! I'd be happy to help you get things sorted out here. Could you please tell me which step in the instructions here: Sync with Dropbox are getting you tripped up?

This discussion has been closed.