Security Audit

Options
wefski
wefski
Community Member

Why are there items under Security Audit in the 6-12 month category. I have 16 items located there, credit card data and social security data. I have a separate folder for the social security data and the credit card info are logins. As an experiment I removed the data for a social security item and it removed it from the audit and the separate folder.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @wefski‌

Thanks for taking the time to write in to us about 1Password! Security Audit is one of my favourite new features in 1Password 4. The 6-12 month category here is showing you items that you have not edited in 6-12 months. There are also categories for even older passwords, as well as Duplicate Passwords and Weak Passwords.

Of course, items like your Social Security number should not really show up in the Security Audit, since you can't exactly change that :) Our developers are working on getting this fixed. But Security Audit is still a really useful tool for seeing where to make changes to improve your online security!

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,
    When the developers get it fixed so my SS data does not appear, will they disappear, or is there something I should do?
    Also I have changed all my credit card passwords in light of heartbleed and they also appear in the 6-12 month category.
    Thank you for answering my questions.
    Bill

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member
    Options

Megan
    I stand corrected, the information about the credit cards is not from the logins, it is from Secured Notes where I recorded all the pertinent information about a card. The one CC login is one I have not changed because of heartbleed but I will be changing it. I do have another question though, are any of the items eventually removed? Such has the CC data will not change. This is info about the cards such as phone numbers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bill ( @wefski )

I'm happy to help answer your questions. :)

When the developers get it fixed so my SS data does not appear, will they disappear, or is there something I should do?

There will be no need to do anything here. The developers will work their magic to train 1Password to ignore Social Security numbers, and they should disappear from the Security Audit list.

I do have another question though, are any of the items eventually removed?

If you're referring to the Security Audit here, your items will no longer show up in this list once they are updated. If you are not concerned about having passwords that are 6-12 months old, you don't have to change each password that shows up in this list, it is merely there to make it easier for you when you do want to do some password house-keeping.

I hope this helps, but keep the questions coming as long as you have them!

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,
    All my credit cards are listed in the 6-12 month category, but not the Login information, that is listed in Logins. For the credit cards in the Security Audit is just their number, expiration date, and phone numbers for contacting the card issuers. No passwords or other login info. Just a record of the individual cards that are listed in a category other than Logins. It sounds as though they will be there permanently. Maybe you can check into this..

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wefski,

My apologies for misunderstanding here. Your credit cards are currently showing up in this category for the same reason as your Social Security Number: do you have a PIN saved with the credit card? 1Password is reading this as a password that should be regularly updated. This is on the list of things to improve as well. :)

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, Megan, I have a pin number listed for the debit and credit cards. I should just sit tight then and wait for the developers to make corrections?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are correct, @wefski. :)

Certain items currently appearing in Security Audit groups (that don't really belong there) will disappear automatically once the issue has been resolved with a future (free) update.

Thanks for your patience!

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Will an email be sent when the update is available?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wefski,

We don't normally send out emails when updates are available. If you purchased from the Mac App Store, you may even have automatic updates enabled, so that 1Password just updates silently in the background.

If you'd like to keep an eye on what is fixed and when, please take a peek at our Release Notes. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wefski,

All updates for 1Password purchased from the Mac App Store always and only come directly from Apple.

All updates for 1Password with licenses purchased from the Agile Online Store are available through automatic/manual in-app update checking, e.g. with Automatically check for updates enabled or clicking Check Now in the Updates tab of the Preferences window:

And they can also be directly downloaded from the Download AgileBits Software page.

The Mac App Store version of 1Password is never updated with the Agile Web Store version, and vice versa. Their features are essentially identical, but they're separate applications that use separate 1Password databases.

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I purchased from the Agile Online Store so will check periodically.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of sjk and Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi folks,

I am using the vert latest beta (502005) and this issue still persists - my Social Security number is showing up in security audit. I have wifi passwords in there too which are showing up. I'm torn on this one - on my own wifi router I would like to know about the age so I might change it, but in the other 13 routers I have they are not mine and not under my control, so I don't really want these showing up in the audit.

Also, my credit card has a verification number field (the three digits on the back) - I can't change this, but it's causing the card to show up in the audit.

On a separate issue which I've mentioned before some months ago here, I'd also not expect Rewards Programs or Memberships with a PIN to show up in either Weak Passwords or the time-based warnings, which they do currently.

Do you have a timetable for these fixes? I love the Audit features, I just want it to be perfect!

Thanks,
    Tom

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smallcheese‌

Thanks so much for checking in on us! You're right, this bug is still being worked on by our developers. I'll remind them that this is a feature you'd like to see fixed up just as soon as possible.

ref: OPM-1004

This discussion has been closed.