change "open and fill" to "open"

Options
bitmender
bitmender
Community Member

I'm relatively new to 1Password, so this might already be doable and I just can't find the option to change it.

If I have a login record that contains username, password and website, the link for the website is given the "open and fill" button. I guess 1Password is designed to open a link and try to pre-enter your username and password into the site. Only problem is that I have found absolutely no sites that support this. For instance, when I click on a link in 1Password for www.gmail.com, I get something like this in my browser:

https://www.gmail.com/?onepasswdfill=00000000000

(Where 00000000000 is a very long hexadecimal number.)

About half the time, this takes me to the site in question but does not enter the login information. The other half of the time it tries to pull up the site but returns some kind of 404 error because the link wasn't understood. I don't know if this system works for other people, but honestly I don't mind using command-tab to flip back-and-forth between 1Password and my browser to copy-and-paste the login credentials. I'd rather the link just went to:

https://www.gmail.com/

And stopped at that.

I'd also like it better if clicking a link would open up the site in a new page rather than a new tab. But I can't find a preference for that either.

Is there any way to configure either or both of these options?

Thanks!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bitmender,

There isn't currently a way to omit the fil part of open and fill (aka Go & Fill).

Only problem is that I have found absolutely no sites that support this.

You can update the website field of Login items so they'll open a page where 1Password filling is supported and/or add multiple URLs to a Login item. For instance, try this one for Gmail:

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?sacu=1&service=mail

The other half of the time it tries to pull up the site but returns some kind of 404 error because the link wasn't understood.

Which web browser are you using and can you mention a specific URL for any page where that happens?

… I don't mind using command-tab to flip back-and-forth between 1Password and my browser to copy-and-paste the login credentials.

It's also possible to select copy from item details in 1Password mini, e.g.:

I'd also like it better if clicking a link would open up the site in a new page rather than a new tab.

You can accomplish that when opening logins from 1Password mini with its Open URLs in New Window preference setting. It's not currently possible to configure it for logins opened from the main application.

Is there any way to configure either or both of these options?

Neither (except with 1Password mini usage for the latter), although we'll take your question as an implied request. :)

I hope that's at least partly helpful. If you have other questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

• bitmender
    bitmender
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I'm sort of half-resolved. Found out I had two problems:

1. I hadn't installed the browser extensions.
    2. Even after that though, I had to uncheck "Verify browser code signature" to get the Google link you provided to work.

I'm running OS X 10.9.2 with Safari 7.0.3 (9537.75.14). If I leave browser code signature verification enabled, I get the message "Cannot Fill Item in Web Browser. Web Browser is connected but its code signature could not be verified. Filling and other features are disabled until this configuration issue is resolved."

Now I'm seeing that I have to have a properly formatted URL in order to make the "open and fill" function work. So instead of this:

www.aim.com

I need to do something like this:

https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?offerId=aim-travolta-en-us&sitedomain=www.aim.com

Not quite as short and cute, but it gets the job done.

So not sure why I have the browser code signature problem, unless that's just a sign that 1Password needs to be updated to recognize the recent Safari 7.0.3 update. But at least I have the "open and fill" function working now on sites that support it.

I did see the option to click on the drop-down menu to use "copy" instead of "open and fill", but the target on that is rather small -- not as easy to hit as tapping anywhere on the link. Here's my suggestions for a future update to 1Password:

1. A preference that enables you to choose the default hotlink behavior -- either "copy and fill", "open" or "copy".
    2. Extend the "open URLs in new window" option to the main app as well as the mini app.

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @bitmender,

I'm glad to hear you've made some progress with this!

For the code signature issue, are you running any anti-virus or anti-malware software? For example, a known issue with Sophos described: here. That post has instructions for sending us a Diagnostics Report, if you'd like to do that so we can better troubleshoot this problem and suggest how to fix it.

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue you reported having with open and fill:

About half the time, this takes me to the site in question but does not enter the login information. The other half of the time it tries to pull up the site but returns some kind of 404 error because the link wasn't understood.

Is it still happening even after you've installed the browser extension? If you can post the URL for any page where it happens we can do some testing here.

I'll pass along your feedback and suggestions to our developers. Thanks!

• bitmender
    bitmender
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I'm using Sophos (version 9.0.8) so I'm betting the link you provided is what I need to try. I bookmarked it so I can try it after I complete my system overhaul, which will probably be like next week.

I think the open-and-fill problem is largely resolved by making sure I specify the link in the correct fashion instead of just the short, basic URL. I'll have to do some additional testing, so I'll post a reply if I find any site in particular that seems to be worth looking at.

Thanks for all your help on this issue, and in my other post about transferring my data. Now I can forge ahead. See ya!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bitmender‌

I'm so glad to hear that @sjk got you all sorted out! Thanks for letting us know.

If you have any further questions, we're here for you. ;)

This discussion has been closed.