1Password Newbie lost in Sync setup...

Options
ZBurn
ZBurn
Community Member

So 1PW has already helped me between my one Mac and iOS via Wifi syncing. That was easy to set up and it works great!

iCloud is broken for my main user account on my main machine - it's a long story ... tried to get Apple to fix it, but I ran out of time to keep calling them back. When I try to log in via the Settings app (This is Mavericks) it says "Try again later" The credentials are correct because a) it works fine on iOS, b) fine on iCloud.com, c) When I type the wrong password I get a different error. It's frustrating - Giving up, moving on...

I created a Dropbox sync spot for 1PW and pointed another user on the same machine to that and also the same user on another machine.
Both saw it and recognize it, but when I log in - nothing is there! Isn't the point that things I add to the one vault would be available everywhere...like iOS quickly did. Do I need to do periodic exports, or move some other file to Dropbox?

I also see some odd behavior from the 1PW Preferences pane... when I pick any option it seems to take effect, but then it will only let me hit Cancel to get out of that screen.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ZBurn‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such trouble getting sync set up. Let's see if we can get this sorted out. The easiest way to ensure that everything is pointing at the same 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox is to reset sync.

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On each Mac and in each account, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the first Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the other Macs (and accounts), go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your the 1Password.agilekeychain that was just created. Select this file (and not the folder that it is in.) Confirm the selection.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

If you hit any snags, please let me know where in the process things got tangled, and we'll work from there!

• ZBurn
    ZBurn
    Community Member
    Options

OK - I made some progress... but I'm still a long way from what I want to see happen. Let's start with my scenario - I have 4 iCloud accounts and 4 OSX user accounts on 3 different machines and 2 different dropbox accounts enabled on the 3 machines.

I did a bunch of what you said on two machines (+ iOS) and I can get the primary vault to sync across two different Mac's and two users. Even though I got iCloud working, I decided to continue with Dropbox, because I typically have each user logged into their own iCloud account and I think 1PW is going to want us to keep switching that, right? Since I only have 2 DropBox accounts I just shared the folder from one to the other...Side question: Is this secure enough?

So... on my main machine I created a new vault. And I thought this would sync over to the other machines. In fact it doesn't show up anywhere except the machine where I created it. If I can't sync the other vault - I probably can't create separate vaults for separate users. OK, so I created a second vault on a second Mac. It will let me log in but is there any way to make it default to that vault for the login when 1Password comes up?

Then back on my main machine I shortened my password. I would have thought that this would be part of the sync, but apparently you have to change your password everywhere you use it? Also, can you tell me how to change the master password in iOS... I'm syncing via dropbox to a primary vault that allows me to log in with my shortened password. And I believe it's syncing but it still makes me use the old password.

Sorry - I guess I thought this would be easier.

• ZBurn
    ZBurn
    Community Member
    Options

Oh - I realized that the Dropbox files are unique to a vault... So I created a new one and now I'm happily syncing from one computer to the next.
    Hitting "Command 2" gets the login to be the other vault which seems good enough for that other issue. I haven't been back to iOS but I'll bet it's still my older password.

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ZBurn,

I'm so glad to hear that you're getting things sorted out! It's wonderful to have you happily syncing.

Since I only have 2 DropBox accounts I just shared the folder from one to the other...Side question: Is this secure enough?

Sharing folders between Dropbox accounts is just what you should be doing. In terms of security, please note that the security of your 1Password data does not depend on the security of your sync service. Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

I haven't been back to iOS but I'll bet it's still my older password.

Changes to your Master Password should sync between devices. Please let me know if it is not syncing and we'll investigate further.

• ZBurn
    ZBurn
    Community Member
    Options

I gave up and just changed my master password from iOS... in fact I've had to change that everywhere so far. The syncing works to these other machines or user accounts, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I switched my iOS syncing back to Wifi instead of Dropbox, both seem to work.

Thanks for all the security info and the help getting set up.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ZBurn,

Happy to help! Do let us know if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.