How to cancel 1Password just purchased from Agilebits so I can repurchase from Apple Store!

Options
mbgwynn
mbgwynn
Community Member

I just downloaded 1Password 4 Mac from Agilebits and realized DUH! I wanted to buy it from the Apple Store! How can I do this? I purchased the Family 5 user package. Thanks-

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

You are aware that the family pack is not available on the Mac Apple Store, aren't you? Five copies from the MAS will cost more than the family pack you already purchased. On the other hand, if all users share the same AppleID, then you will be fine going that route. Otherwise everyone has to buy their own copy, and you most likely would be better off with the family pack.

AgileBits has a 30 day money back guarantee. You can asks them for that by sending a message to support+sales @ agilebits . com from the same email address you used to make your purchase. It's probably also worthwhile to include a link to this thread in your message.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mbgwynn,

I hope @hawkmoth's helpful information was helpful for you. :)

Please let us know if you have other questions about this or anything else.

• mbgwynn
    mbgwynn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Hawkmoth and Oversoul! I'd like to describe what we want and ask you what and where we should purchase 1password to do the trick.
    My husband and I want to share all passwords. Between us we have a macbook, mac air, i pad and two iPhones. There's an additional iPad in our future w/i the next year, we're guessing. We'd like to be able to synch 1password among all our devices as easily as we synch our current devices over iCloud. Currently, his iPad, mac book and iPhone are synched together and my mac air and iPhone are synched together. Currently we have two Apple ID's.

What is the best configuration/purchase solution for us?

Thanks...

• Mike Althaus
    Mike Althaus
    Community Member
    Options

We've got the exact setup that you've described, I'll try to lay it out the way ours is set up. I purchased the family pack from agilebits web site. (Actually purchased it from Apple first, but returned it -- want to get releases as quick as possible and keep the family pack). I'm sure there are other ways but this works well.
    •Setup 1PW on 1st mac and sync to dropbox account #1.
    •Share the dropbox 1password folder (the folder that contains the 1PW data) with with Mac#2. In our case we have separate dropbox accounts
    •Setup 1PW on mac#2 and sync with the 1password folder on dropbox account #2.
    •Setup 1PW on iOS devices (separate purchase) to sync with dropbox. You can each sync to your own dropbox account.

Make a note of where each app saves it's automatic backups just in case something goes wonky. But we've been using this setup for quite a long time now and it's great.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @mbgwynn,

Thanks for the overview of your current and possible future 1Password ecosystem. Let's first cover configuration options, then purchase options.

My husband and I want to share all passwords. We'd like to be able to synch 1password among all our devices …

Okay, the goal is syncing/sharing all your 1Password data between all your systems/devices. :)

… as easily as we synch our current devices over iCloud. Currently, his iPad, mac book and iPhone are synched together and my mac air and iPhone are synched together. Currently we have two Apple ID's.

This is where it gets tricky. Your goal of ubiquitous data syncing/sharing would be not be easy with 1Password configured to use iCloud sync and different Apple ID's for iCloud.

If you and your husband are each using a unique iCloud Apple ID on your respective systems/devices, then 1Password's iCloud sync is going to be limited to syncing between systems/devices using the same Apple ID. Apple

Switching to Dropbox sync would be the easiest option. You could also use WI-Fi sync, which currently isn't automatic. Or use the same Apple ID on every system/device, which is probably the most unlikely option for you.

Now, about purchasing. Since you already have a 1Password 4 for Mac Family license the easiest option is to keep it. An alternative is to request a refund within 30-day since its purchase and purchase the 1Password 4 application directly from the Mac App Store. You would also need to migrate current 1Password data between versions since they use different databases.

If you purchase the Mac App Store version, it can be installed on your family Macs without repurchasing if logged in to App Store using the same Apple ID. Note that this can be a different Apple ID than any of you is using for iCloud services (including 1Password syncing). There's more information about Apple ID usage in this Apple article:

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

Switching from the Agile Web Store version of 1Password to Mac App Store version isn't the most convenient option.

What is the best configuration/purchase solution for us?

I can't say for sure which is "best" for you, but sticking with the Agile Web Store version of 1Password 4 (plus its Family license you've purchased) and switching from iCloud to Dropbox sync would require the least short- and long-term effort to accomplish your goal.

We'll be here if you have more questions or need help with any of this. :)

This discussion has been closed.