Family Version with iCloud

Options
bferguson2
bferguson2
Community Member

It appears that only the individual version is available on the App Store.
I read in a review that only the App Store version will sync with iCloud.

How do I purchase a family version that syncs with iCloud?

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bferguson2‌

The licensing terms of the App Store are very similar to our previous Family License. From Macworld's Mac App Store FAQ:

"You can install apps bought from the Mac App Store on any and every Mac that you personally own and use."

"Apps don't check to see if you've using an iTunes-authorized Mac. They can ask you to verify your Apple ID and password, but that's a single check and it's just to verify you are who you say you are. Once your identity is verified, that's it. There's no authorizing or deauthorizing or counting of different Macs."

"Apps are purchased for and owned by a user linked to a single Apple ID. But if you log in with that ID on all the Macs in your household, you can download and install your apps on each one."

In short, you can use the same AppleID to install 1Password on the computers of your family members, just remember that they will require the password for this AppleID to take advantage of any updates. :)

• bferguson2
    bferguson2
    Community Member
    Options

However my wife and I each have individual Apple ID's so that we can keep things separate. I assume that with the Family version sold direct I could use different IDs?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bferguson2‌,

You are correct. The family version sold directly from our website provides for up to five members of the same household to download and use 1Password 4 for Mac on as many Macs as they personally use. AppleIDs don't factor in here, unless of course you're using iCloud to sync. (But the licenses are not tied to your AppleID.)

I hope this explains things, but we're here if you have any further questions.

• bferguson2
    bferguson2
    Community Member
    Options

So my original supposition is correct that there is no real way to have a family edition that uses iCloud? Just making sure so I can weigh out which one is right for me.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @bferguson2,

iCloud sync can be used with the the Agile Web Store (AWS) edition of 1Password 4, which you can purchase a Family license for. However, we do caution users that Apple has not officially agreed to support iCloud for apps sold outside of the Mac App Store. We have no reason to believe at this time that Apple would decide to enforce it, but there is a chance that this could change in the future, Using and licensing the Mac App Store (MAS) edition of 1Password 4 is more of a guarantee against that possibility.

If you purchase the Mac App Store edition, it can be installed on each of your family's Macs without repurchasing if logged in to App Store using the same Apple ID. Note that this can be a different Apple ID than any of you is using for iCloud services (including 1Password syncing). There's more information about Apple ID usage in this Apple article:

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

Hopefully that helps with weighing out which edition of 1Password, AWS or MAS, is right for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.