When will others using MAS 1P 4.4 be notified officially on 5/27/14 change to Extension 4.2 update?

Options
P2in
P2in
Community Member

My first post about this issue was renamed and then closed by Khad (AgileBits Social Choreographer Administrator). Very unprofessional, and abrupt. While I appreciate the attention/resolution given by the other Administrators here, I do want to point out what I feel is a breakdown in communication to customers

Who will answer the question - shouldn't there have been some official notification by AgileBits, rather than brushing this issue under the rug. (at least it appears to be the case)

When are we going to hear it from Dave... "AgileBits co-founder Dave Teare is personally on the job of making this info easier to find"

We shouldn't have to go digging for it. Dave's so wonderful at sending us those 'personal' emails when he wants us to buy products, but we can't hear from him when they've screwed up? I feel AgileBits customers deserve better treatment. After all, we have come to depend on 1PW app a great deal, and it doesn't give us much confidence knowing that a little issue as this would be handled in such an unprofessional and nonchalant manner.

Still no official notice... is that what we can expect in the future
For those interested in viewing the (closed) discussion please see.. Auto-submit stopped working after extension update [MAS users: install auto-submit script], Started by P2in, 27 May 2014

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

There is an announcement about this now at the top of this forum. Not sure if that addresses your concern, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I certainly didn't mean to be abrupt in any way, @P2in. Sincere apologies if anything came across that way. I didn't rename the thread, but perhaps one of the other admins did in order for others to more quickly find it via certain keywords when searching.

I hope the official notice I created and pinned to the very top of this category serves as an indication that we're not by any means attempting to sweep anything under any rug.

I've been discussing this with the team here and am certainly in favor of making this clearer to more folks in the best way possible. The Mac App Store guidelines may limit how we can notify folks within the app about this, and since the newsletter you mentioned is opt-in not all users would be notified if we sent out a newsletter. (Additionally, loads of non-MAS customers would also needlessly receive an email that doesn't apply to them). There was definitely a better way to handle this, and we let you down. We're sorry for that and are working to make it better. I just don't have a quick answer at this exact moment. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve this.

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

I like khad!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

What a great post to wake up to. Thank you, Oxon! I like you, too. :)

Just to update you all on this, we're working on some fixes apart from just the communication side of things. I don't have any specifics I can share right now, but we are also working on the communication side. We'll be making this matter clear from our blog as well as Twitter, and Facebook.

That may not be the end of things, though. We're also investigating the possibility of including something in the 1Password app itself. As mentioned earlier, the problem with that may be the same as Apple's reasoning for not allowing us to include this on the Mac App Store in the first place. That remains to be seen. However, we are certainly not standing still on this and wanted to communicate that better than we communicated the change in the first place.

Thanks again for hanging in there.

• P2in
    P2in
    Community Member
    Options

khad, I've been using 1PW since its inception and have been there through the growing pains. First with the Mac app, then purchased the iPhone app, followed by the purchase of the iPad app, then bought the Universal iOS app. I probably purchased all against my better judgement, but I did so as an early adopter believing the app to be a great password manager. I even purchased the MAS app version after discovering it was offered on Apple's sandboxing platform. Along the way I recommended it to everyone I could, and told them it was the best OSX/iOS integration. My journey w/1PW wasn't cheap as you can imagine, I invested in something I believed in and had to pay the premium price on each occasion - sorry, no chance of a discount along the way, even when I pleaded with AgileBits to make a concession. Only to find out later on that other discounts were being offered to old and new customers as well. So please forgive me if I feel this to be quite disconcerting when I realized what had happened to my MAS version without any explanation/warning from AgileBits.

I want to be clear moving forward:
    Your Developers made a change to the browser extension that made the MAS version loose the auto-submit feature - correct?
    So, will this feature/capability ever return in future releases of MAS version, or will users have to rely on the go-around fix (install script) as the permanent solution?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @P2in,

Thanks for following up on this. In order to protect your privacy, I sent you a PM with more details regarding the financial matter. We certainly appreciate your longtime support, and I'm happy to work with you privately to make sure you are completely happy with whatever you have paid for 1Password over the years. We want to make sure you are happy with the value 1Password provides. :)

Your Developers made a change to the browser extension that made the MAS version loose the auto-submit feature - correct?

Sort of. From the pinned topic at the top of this category to which I link to earlier (emphasis added):

1Password used to automatically submit forms using two different methods. One was good; the other one was less-than-stellar. The second method caused problems for lots of users. It would sometimes submit search forms instead of the login form. It would drink your last beer. It would make a mess and not clean up after itself.

The website version of 1Password used both methods to submit forms (depending on the situation), but the Mac App Store version only ever used the less-than-stellar method due to Mac App Store guidelines.

If Mac App Store users were experiencing specific auto-submit problems, we would recommend installing the script above which would enable the good method. It wasn't as much of an issue, though, because the less-than-stellar method was there, and even though it was less-than-stellar, it was something.

On May 27, 2014, we released the 4.2 update to the 1Password extension. (Note that this was only an update to the browser extension, not to the 1Password app.) In 4.2, we decided to solve a bunch of users' problems by taking away the less-than-stellar method from both versions. This left the website version with just the good method, but unfortunately it left the Mac App Store version with nothing. That's why it's now necessary to install the script that was only optional before.

So, will this feature/capability ever return in future releases of MAS version, or will users have to rely on the go-around fix (install script) as the permanent solution?

The autosubmit method that works and is enabled by the script has always only been available via the separate script. This is due to Apple's Mac App Store guidelines. The difference now is that there is no fallback method (the less-than-stellar one that we got rid of in the 4.2 extension update because it caused so many problems). Until or unless something changes with the Mac App Store guidelines it will continue to be necessary to install the script separately.

Again, we're working to make this clearer in the app itself if the guidelines don't preclude us from doing so. We will also be communicating this more clearly in other channels as well. I'll update this thread with more details as they become available.

I hope that helps. It's pretty late here, so I must head off to bed soon with my lovely wife. :)

This discussion has been closed.