Newbie Shopper Questions

Options
fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

I'm considering switching from LastPass to 1Password for Mac and I have two questions to help me understand the product.

My goal is to keep all my passwords off the Internet - NO syncing over the Internet using clouds, DropBox, or other peoples' servers. I want to sync across my iMac and MacBooks via my home wifi only. I use Apple TimeCapsule as my router and it is NOT setup to be accessible over the Internet. When I go on vacation I would like to have a usable 1Password vault in my MacBook Air.

I don't want to sync to any iPhones or other cell phones.

Questions:

1. Can I do this across iMac and MacBooks only with 1Password for Mac?

2. Can I do this across iMac, MacBooks, iPad and PC laptops if I purchase multiple 1Password products - which ones would be needed?

Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I, like you, want to keep my key personal data off the cloud. I'm using 1P4 on a Macbook (though only one Mac) and 1P4 for iOS on phone and iPad. To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can. Have a look at this knowledge base article about folder sync.
    2. You would need 1P4 for OS X and 1P4 for iOS. You can sync between OS X and iOS by wifi currently - although with the caveat that OS X attachments to items don't currently transfer. Folder sync doesn't at the moment work between OS X and iOS but AgileBits is working on a solution that will allow you to transfer backups from OS X to iOS and so effectively transfer your data that way (including attachments). With the latest release of 1P4 for iOS (4.5.2, just out) you can already transfer iOS backups to the Mac and so effectively transfer data from iOS to OS X.

I hope this helps a little.

Stephen

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen. How about syncing from my iMac to my PCs, using my home wifi? I read the article, but it does not mention PCs.

Once I specify a sync folder, can I access that folder from either a PC or a Mac on my home wifi? Or, would I need to purchase the product for PC also?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I have no hesitation to use cloud-based solutions because I'm confident that the data are secure, no matter where the file resides. So I can't answer your question about local syncing with a Windows installation.

I thought I would add that if you want to use a PC, you'll need a separate license for that platform. And I also thought it might be worth pointing out that AgileBits sells a Mac-Windows bundle on their web store.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fourwheelcycle‌

To sync your data to your PC from your Mac, you can still use Folder Sync. You will need to either have a home network set up with a shared folder that can be accessed directly by both your Mac and your PC (and ensure that both computers have full read and write permissions for this folder), or use an alternative sync solution that fits your needs.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more direct answer here. I can tell you that our developers are working on a great update to 1Password for Windows, and we know how important sync options are. :)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. My 1P4 for Mac is all set up and working great now, with Folder sync across our three Macs. My wife uses two PCs (wrong-headed thinking) on our home wifi network that are also set up to share folders with the Macs, but she only needs her office email password, which she lets Firefox save, so we have not purchased 1P4 for PC.

Am I correct that we would need to upgrade to the Mac/PC package to add 1P4 to our PCs?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Am I correct that we would need to upgrade to the Mac/PC package to add 1P4 to our PCs?

Since the licenses are granted on a per platform basis, the answer would be, Yes.

This discussion has been closed.