Having problems with 1 password 4 downloaded on CNET

Options
starteur
starteur
Community Member

Everytime I try to go on forums I get that page:

ttps://ca.search.yahoo.com/yhs/errorhandler?hspart=gt&hsimp=yhse-gt&q=partner.googleadservices.com%2Fgampad%2Fcookie.js%3Fcallback%3D_GA_googl&type=576859

It prevents me from going to certain website, I can I get

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I have deleted your duplicate post so that all replies are kept in one thread.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @starteur‌

I'm not sure I quite understand your situation here. The thread title and your post seem to be talking about different issues. If you could clarify a bit, it would be much appreciated!

With respect to downloading 1Password via CNet, this is unsupported. 1Password should be downloaded directly from our website. If you need to remove your existing copy of 1Password, please do not use an app-cleaner. Simply use Command-Control-Q to quit the main app and 1Password Mini, and then drag the 1Password application from the Applications folder to the Trash. (Your 1Password data is stored elsewhere and will not be affected by this.) Empty the Trash, restart your Mac, then install a fresh copy from our website.

If you let me know a little bit more about the issue you are seeing when accessing the forums, I'd be happy to help you get that sorted. :)

• starteur
    starteur
    Community Member
    Options

I understand and I will try it, then let you know. thanks

• starteur
    starteur
    Community Member
    Options

Still same problem.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @starteur,

Are you having this problem when using a 1Password Login item to access this forum? And what does the website field for that item look like? For example:

Maybe that's where the URL for ca.search.yahoo.com is that's opening a page there instead of one for discussions.agilebits.com?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It is worth mentioning that cnet at one point (don't know if it still does it) downloaded adware along with the program that you wanted, and that some adware redirects either search or home page (I forget which) to Yahoo.

If you are using Safari, check your extensions and see if there are any you do not recognise.

If that turns out to be the issue, I can tell you how to remove it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @danco.

This issue doesn't seem directly related to 1Password although we don't have enough information yet to eliminate that possibility. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Options

http://www.macintouch.com today, in the security notes section, gives more information about what unpleasant things can happen if one downloads a program from cnet

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again, @danco.

I personally prefer downloading software from first parties as much as possible.

Hope you don't mind that I fixed your tiny URL typo and removed your comment about it. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Thanks for correcting the typo.

I also prefer downloading from the developers, though I sometimes use macupdate.

I checked cnet (using a virtual machine for safety!) and, unless one refuses their standard install and goes for an advanced install, several things that change browser behaviour do get installed.

This discussion has been closed.