1password Chrome extension will not work

Options

I've tried everything i could find/think of and it will not work.

It works in firefox, so i know the helper is running and the ports are open and has the ability to work.

I've reinstalled it several times in chrome, and it does not work.

any suggestions?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm guessing some other Chrome extension (such as AdBlock, for example) is causing this. Can you send us a diagnostics report, please? Thanks!

• d3bu663r
    d3bu663r
    Community Member
    Options

The same problem I have also. No other addons installed. For me it does not work but also in Firefox.

• pedig36
    pedig36
    Community Member
    Options

these are the only extensions i have other than 1password installed

Google Docs 0.7

Hangouts 2014.618.433.2

Send from Gmail (by Google) 1.16

XFINITY® TV Go Stream live TV online 1.1

I tried to attach a zip and a text file, and both say uploaded file type is not allowed

the Chrome extensions file had nothing in it

• Jefferson Siow
    Jefferson Siow
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome extension not working. Usename is not auto populated properly into the fields. after migrated from 1Password 3 to 1Password4
    1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.2.3.90
    Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153

• akakpdx
    akakpdx
    Community Member
    Options

My password extension was "disabled" by chrome. On the Chrome Forum they posted this:

It's not simply because malcious developers exist. It's that we've collected data showing a large and quickly growing percentage of our users have been hit with forced installed extensions that invade privacy and worsen the browsing experience, often along with native "protector" software that attempts to keep those extensions installed even if users try to uninstall or disable them. While we can't share exact numbers, we have stated publicly that this has become our #1 customer complaint; if you spend a little time browsing this forum you'll see plenty of evidence of this.

So we felt we were caught between 2 terrible choices:

1) Implement this more restrictive policy that we hope will help a large percentage of our user base remain free of invasive extensions, but be an inconvenience to a smaller but definitely non-trivial number of more sophisticated/technical users who want to run extensions not installed from the webstore.

2) Keep the current behavior, avoiding causing problems for more advanced users, but leaving a large portion of the user base afflicted with invasive extensions.

In either case, plenty of people were going to be upset and unsatisfied, but at the end of the day we decided to try and do what we thought was right for the largest number of users. I understand that as an individual it may be hard to see things from this perspective, but I wanted to at least share how we're thinking about it even if that doesn't reduce your frustration about it.

While we don't always get things perfect, we do have some processes in place in the webstore to prevent or take down extensions with abusive practices, but our ability to detect and prevent this for items outside the webstore is much more limited. Again, I'm really sorry this is frustrating for you folks who've posted as such so far. Here are a few options for you:

-If it is an extension you wrote yourself, you can upload it to the webstore and publish it in a "hidden" state so that only people with the link, or people in a set of trusted tester users, can install it.
    -If it is an extension from a 3rd party software company, contact their support to point them at our blog post and ask them if they can migrate their extension to the webstore.
    -We are only enforcing this policy on Windows beta/stable channels, since that is where the problems are. More advanced users may wish to try out the chrome developer or canary channels (the canary can be installed side-by-side with other channels of chrome). Also I should note that we aren't enforcing this policy for chrome apps or themes, nor are we enforcing it for extensions on MacOS, Linux, or ChromeOS because we don't see anywhere near the same level of problems on those OSes (obviously switching OSes is a big deal and I don't mean to suggest that you should consider this, but I just wanted to make sure folks already running those OSes know that the policy doesn't affect them).

AGILE Please do something about this NOW!!!!!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My password extension was "disabled" by chrome.

I'm sorry you are having this problem.

First of all, you need to un-install the extension from Chrome:

1. Open Google Chrome
    2. Click on the hamburger button, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar
    3. Click on: Tools > Extensions
    4. Click on the trash can icon by 1Password.
    5. A confirmation dialog appears. Click on "Remove".

Now you can re-install our extension here:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Click on: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P)
    4. Click on the tab labelled "Browsers"
    5. Click on the button labelled "Install" for Google Chrome

Thanks!

• d3bu663r
    d3bu663r
    Community Member
    Options

Do you not think that we have already tried? That does not help. The addon does not work. So it is useless for me. I think it is up to the process that is not started. Again, this is not to be found. A reinstallation does not help. I've already tried.

• d3bu663r
    d3bu663r
    Community Member
    Options

I've found the problem. Kaspersky Internet Security blocks the addon 1Password. When I briefly Kaspersky disable it works. What do we do now? Kaspersky disable is not a solution.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @d3bu663r‌,

Please try the workaround in this article. That have worked for many folks.

We're still trying to work with Kaspersky on whitelisting 1Password but no movement on that yet.

• pedig36
    pedig36
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi All,

My solution was to install the 1password extension from the chrome store, link found here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password/hdmbinomkfhmgknkoicejolfdfjeajmk

[Edited by MikeT: This is a link to install the older version of 1Password, we do not suggest doing this if you're using 1Password 4.x, you should use 1Password 4.x extension here]

• Aztec
    Aztec
    Community Member
    Options

Pedig36's link works well - paces the 3.92 version back in it's place. Going to wait awhile before upgrading the extension on my Pee Cee's.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

p3dig36's link is for the older version of 1Password extension, we suggest using the latest versions of 1Password extension if you're using 1Password 4 for Windows. We will not be updating the older version anymore as all new improvements are going to be in 1Password 4 extensions.

My article that I linked in post #10 is the solution to fix the problem, it has worked for many users who uses Kaspersky.

• d3bu663r
    d3bu663r
    Community Member
    Options

None of the above solutions works here. I now have also times created a post in the Kaspersky forum and wait there for feedback. Maybe we can make all the problem there attention.

I want a solution, no sleights.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @d3bu663r,

We're in contact with Kaspersky as well, to try to improve the whole experience better for our customers.

In the meantime, if the suggested solutions haven't work for you, it may be because there's something else instead. Can you email your diagnostic report to support + FORUM at agilebits.com and include the message that you already tried the Kaspersky solution provided by the team here.

Thanks!

• d3bu663r
    d3bu663r
    Community Member
    Options

Hello MikeT,

Kaspersky is definitely the problem. After disabling it works. I've sent you an email with the diagnostic file. The thread at the request of Kaspersky found here. A support ticket to Kaspersky is also available. I want to make it easy there aware of the problem and expedite a solution. Can it be also the Kaspersky would so do advertising for your own password manager? That would be a little "cheeky".

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @d3bu663r,

You mean their own password manager. We wouldn't know if they're doing this to promote their own products and I didn't even realize they had one but it is not likely. Intentionally breaking other tools would more likely result into them losing customers, not gaining more.

However, what I can say is that Kaspersky isn't the only one causing issues. It does make sense for some anti-malware solutions to block the local traffic on the computer as we do have a local communication channel between 1Password Helper and your browser extensions. However, there should always be a way to whitelist your applications to communicate to each other easily.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Too much talking and no solution. I just gave up months ago when I realized that no one on the team knows how to solve the problem. I will state my case here once again and see if after 3 months, someone came with a solution:
    I have a windows 8.1 installed, I have all new (beta if available) 1password installed including the extensions. I have Kaspersky 2014 and now just installed the 2015 version. The 1password extension works just fine on Internet explorer. However, the extension will not work if I use Kaspersky SAFE MONEY option. I do a lot of banking stuff and I need that extra protection from Kaspersky, but the extension won't work. I know the problem is on "Kaspersky Application Control" because if I turn it off, the extension will work. I have tried before both 1password and Kaspersky support and no one can fix this. Kaspersky always says to contact 1password team and bla bla bla.. im just tired of it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Josenei, I can understand your frustration, but our hands are tied. We've been trying for months to get them to work with us to resolve the issue. We will continue to pursue a solution, but the ball is largely in their court.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Too much talking and no solution. I just gave up months ago when I realized that no one on the team knows how to solve the problem.

@Josinei Alves‌ Please turn OFF this setting: Help > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Gosh, I just assumed you had tried that already, Josenai!

If not, please do, and let us know whether it solves the problem for you.

• Alexis Torrez
    Alexis Torrez
    Community Member
    Options
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That’s great news, Alexis—thanks for letting us know!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@svondutch That didn't work either.

@Alexis Torrez That didn't help at all and I already have tried all of this. Like I said before, the extension works just fine unless I am using safe money option (safe money is an extra protection from kaspersky that opens the internet browser with extra security while banking) when on safe money on, when I click on the 1password extension on my browser, nothing happens, no dialog box with options will open. Than, if I turn off the "Aplication control" on my Kaspersky, the extension will work even im using the safe money. But I will have no protection if an application (virus) try to do something.

But as DBrown said, its an Kaspersky thing and they are trying to fix it. Hopefully soon.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Josinei, are you using version 15.0.1.415 of Kaspersky's software, now?

I ask because they had assured us that all was well, finally:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/kaspersky-internet-security

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just a follow-up, Josinei: our tests show that the "safe money" feature works fine with 1Password, if you're using version 15.0.1.415 (or later) of Kaspersky's software.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Yes DBrown, using the new version 15.0.1.415 (b) and when using SafeMoney my extension is not working. And I just renewed my license. I have screenshots that I took to send to Kaspersky as they asked, and they never returned to me after. let me know if you have an address that I can send you the screenshots.

• Hi @Josinei Alves‌,

Thanks for letting us know about this. Can I please ask you to send an email to support+windows@agilebits.com?
    I'd like to continue this discussion via email to figure out what exactly is going on here.

Please references this discussion in the email.

Thanks!

• spanky
    spanky
    Community Member
    Options

Windows 7, Chrome 39, 1Password 4 Chrome extension doesn't work out of the box.

Upgraded to 1Password 4 on Windows 7, uninstalled old Chrome extension and installed latest extension. It shows up, but does nothing on left-click. Menus do show on right-click, but no way of authenticating and filling-in passwords, etc.

After reading this thread, I tried the Windows Registry change suggested here.

Now it works!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, you re-enabled code signature verification?

• spanky
    spanky
    Community Member
    Options

You're right. Sorry. I disabled code signature verification in order to make it work. As suggested Here.

I was not using Kaspersky, but for some reason I still needed that tip. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.