1password Chrome extension will not work

Options
2»

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem, @spanky—we're glad to help. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• chrisezard
    chrisezard
    Community Member
    Options

I am a new iPassword for Windows user. I am using Windows 7 and Chrome 39. The 1Password icon shows, but I always get the 'Looking for the password helper' message. I have tried reinstalling the extension. The 1Password helper works with IE11, but I want to use Chrome.
    Can you help, please?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisezard‌ Please start 1Password and then turn OFF this setting:

Help > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature

• chrisezard
    chrisezard
    Community Member
    Options

I did this, restarted 1Password and rebooted the laptop, and it makes no difference.
    So I re-enabled the setting.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisezard‌, have you tried any of the tips in the Troubleshooting > The browser extensions article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase?

• chrisezard
    chrisezard
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Going through the recommendations...

1. Antivirus software: I uninstalled AVG Free Antivirus and still had the problem with no antivirus installed. Now I am using Avast Free Antivirus 2015.

2. Internet Explorer: IE11 works, but I want to use 1Password with Chrome.

3. Firewall: Windows Firewall is activated. I can't see where to enable the ports mentioned. I did add 1Password to the list of approved programmes.

4. Proxy: Not so far as I know. I am connecting via a BT router.

5. LAN settings: Prevented from accessing LAN settings by SafeSearchLock programme. However, I tested 3G connection, which has Automatically detect settings switched off, and 1Password still has the problem.

6. 1Password is up to date.

• chrisezard
    chrisezard
    Community Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

• Hi @chrisezard‌,

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems with this.
    I went through your list and I think we can rule out everything but N° 5 (SafeSearchLock).

From what I can see this software is fairly invasive and would most likely prevent 1Password from communicating with the extension.
    Is there a way you can deactivate this software or add exceptions to it?

As you might've read, 1Password's Chrome and Firefox extensions use WebSocket communication at the localhost IP address (127.0.0.1, your PC's internal network address) to communicate with the 1Password Helper, our background application. The only extension that doesn't use this way of communicating with the 1Password Helper is the Internet Explorer extension, which is why SafeSearchLock (and other types of security software) rarely interfere with the latter browser extension.

Please let us know if this helps.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you cannot "whitelist" 1Password in SafeSearchLock, can you try temporarily disabling it to see whether that solves the problem? That would at least help us identify the culprit...or exonerate the suspect. :)

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.