Can I convert Logins to Passwords? [Not possible to change an item's category at this time]

Options
tmetaksa
tmetaksa
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I have inadvertently put in password information that does not have a website attached into my Logins category. I would like to move them into the Passwords category. Is there a way to do this short of retyping the information again. I tried to drag it to the Passwords under Categories but that did not work.
Many thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @tmetaksa‌

I apologize for the trouble here! Unfortunately it is not possible to move items between categories at this time. It is a popular feature request, and I'd be happy to add your vote to the issue in our tracker.

For now, if you'd like to transfer some data between categories, the 1Password Mini has a handy anchor feature that will make it much easier to copy and paste your details into the correct entry. Simply find the entry in 1Password Mini, then click the anchor icon in the bottom corner to pin the details to your screen. Then you can copy and paste those details into a new entry in the correct category.

I know it's not a perfect solution, but I hope it helps! :)

internal reference number: OPM-1735

• Is there a way to convert a "login" or "Password" entry to an "Email" entry? Several of my email passwords were entered as "Passwords" or "Logins" and I would like them to be "Email" category entries. I have dozens of email entries entered from 1Password 1, 2 and 3, that need to be converted or I would just copy the info.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry there's currently no way to move an item from one category to another. The reason for that is that the fields in the various categories all differ from each other—so the fields of an item from one category won't match the fields available in the other category (if you see what I mean!).

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @studiodave,

I've moved your question into a similar topic, where @Megan and @Stephen_C have answered, and also added your "vote" for this feature to our tracker.

Anchoring item detail windows with 1Password mini is a convenient way to copy/paste information between them and/or item details in the main application, like @Megan‌ suggested. Also, Password items can be converted to Login items using Convert to Login:

If you don't mind saying, I'm curious which type of information you currently have in Login and Password items that you'd rather have in Email Account items. :)

This discussion has been closed.