Use 1Password 3 and 4 at the same time?

Options
ChipMc
ChipMc
Community Member

First I want to say that I have been using 1Password since the version 2 days and I love it. But my laptop is topped out at OS 10.7.5 so I have version 3 and can't install V4.

I sync my MacBook, iMac, and iPad through Dropbox. My question is whether I can install V4 on my iMac (it has Mavericks and I plan to eventually install Yosemite) and still be able to use V3 on my MacBook or will V4 make changes to the keychain such that V3 won't be able to load it?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ChipMc‌

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password! You certainly can keep 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Mac in sync via Dropbox. The one thing to keep in mind is that 1Password 4 does offer several new features that are not available in version 3, such as custom fields and Favourites. If you create custom fields or mark items as favourites in 1Password 4 for Mac, these changes will be synced over to 1Password 3 for Mac, although you won't be able to view them there. Just as a warning, if you edit an item that has custom fields on 1Password 3, those custom fields will no longer be saved (1Password 3 simply can't save fields that it doesn't know exist.)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.