New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• steve65140
    steve65140
    Community Member
    Options

I too would like to vote +1 for a Linux / Ubuntu app. The way Apple are going I don't see a future for their hardware as a development platform. I'm starting to build a development machine based on the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition and whilst LastPass is OK I would prefer to stay in the 1Password camp. It seems sad that there are numerous people requesting this feature on various threads here but Agile Bits are steadfastly refusing to do anything. Perhaps they should stop messing around with the UI for 3 months and divert resources to write some real code for a change a build us a Linux app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steve65140: There's no refusal. It may very well be something we can do in the future. It just isn't possible right now given our existing commitments. Thanks for letting us know Linux is important to you!

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

@brenty just putting a +1 here. I'm very seriously considering switching from Mac to Linux and to be honest the biggest hurdle for me is 1PW. I love you all, but I can't not have my passwords available to me while I'm on the Linux side of my dual boot system.

Here's what I don't need:

• I do not need a full-fledged client on Linux since the web would work just fine for me to add/edit
    • I don't need editing capabilities in 1PW Mini
    • I don't need password generation capabilities in 1PW Mini
    • I don't need the plugin to auto-detect when I'm updating an existing login or creating a new login

All I need is the browser auto-fill piece in read-only mode. Still a substantial amount of work I'm sure, but I think that scope as a first pass is much more manageable.

I definitely echo @steve65140's thoughts (but not his tone). You all do great work. And you all spend a lot of time on things that I can get behind. The new 1PW accounts service is amazing and has completely changed the way I interact with 1PW. Being able to share logins with my clients has been a game-changer. However I would much prefer to see efforts be put into something more fruitful such as a basic Linux version rather than spending time on something like making 1PW work with the Touch Bar (which few people will even be able to use yet and whose result seems gimmicky at best) (TouchID on Mac is another story and seems like a good use of dev time to me FWIW). I think that there are a fair number of developers (who have been the biggest evangelists of your platform) who are interested in Linux support. As such I think it should mean basic Linux support should get a priority bump.

I absolutely do not want to leave 1PW over this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfelchner: You make a lot of great points, and it's good to have a clear sense of what kind of solution you're looking for. I do fear though that even though you have a lot of "don't need"s when it comes to Linux, others aren't necessarily in the same boat — perhaps due to using Linux full time, or at least as their main platform.

I think you're right that filling alone might be enough for a sizable group of users, but many more will feel like we didn't put the effort in that they'd like. That probably sounds a bit silly, considering we haven't yet put any effort into a Linux app, but we really prefer to really put our best effort into each platform. I know you're not suggesting that we shouldn't. I'm sure you'd be even happier if we did the same for Linux! But this is why it isn't something we're ready to commit to at this time.

Thanks so much for your honest feedback. To be frank, a lot of the comments here make it sound like we've sold people a vapourware Linux product and failed to deliver on it. It's humbling that you and others depend on 1Password so much, to the point where not having it on Linux feels harsh. Hopefully we'll be able to support it someday.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I was just thinking about Linux because I'm not liking the direction Apple is going. I want to learn Ununtu again, and see what I can do. A few things is stopping me and 1Password is one of them, and I just love this program way too much to switch. Who knows, maybe things will get better with Apple.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting. I'm not too worried though. If and when Apple stops making hardware I can use, there are plenty of other options out there — and likely more to come. I think it's safe to say that if Apple gets out of the Mac business, we'll have plenty of resources to build software for other platforms. :lol:

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

@brenty I don't think they're ever going to get out of the Mac business (for the foreseeable future), however the hardware they're now putting out for "Pros" to use is not designed with designers and developers in mind. How many developers do you have on your team that use Vim? Or Emacs? How many of them are going to be pounding their fingers on that new MacBook keyboard w/ keys that have almost zero travel? Or reaching for that non-existent Escape key? How easy would it have been for Apple to have made that MacBook slightly thicker (and incidentally would have given them more room for more ports) so they could put in a better keyboard? What about making the trackpad slightly smaller than the size of a football field (in order to fit both the touch bar and the standard function keys)?

I'm not going to beat the proverbial dead horse, but I just want to point out that Apple are always going to make Macs. And I know you all are currently set up to spend the majority of your resources on Apple platforms. It's fairly clear that's where most of the time/energy is spent. And this was fine when everyone was on Macs/iPhones, but I think you're going to start to see your core (and evangelist) developer market migrating to Windows/Linux in a big way.

In regards to your previous comment to me, I understand the need to come out with something that is a "best effort" for a new platform, but I don't think that's necessarily a requirement for most people. And, to be honest, "awesome introductory product on a new platform" is not how you all have done things in the past. The first Android client was... ummmm... well, you remember. You couldn't even edit on that thing. If I recall correctly it didn't even sync with Dropbox? You had to Wifi sync it? It was a long time ago. And even though you all are working on a new Windows client (I think? Maybe it's already released?), the first Windows client was... ummmm... well, you know.

My point is that having _some_thing allowed your users on those platforms to (at the very least) continue to use 1PW. Once it was out in the wild you could see what sort of additional features/tweaks/support were needed. #shipit

I think the same reasoning applies to Linux.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@jfelchner: I understand what you're saying, but your examples are cases where we've learned — the hard way — that most people really aren't happy without a best effort on each platform; and many will not be happy until our apps for each platform are essentially identical. Though we're making progress, cross-platform consistency is something we still struggle with, and we really only want to keep moving in that direction, not the opposite. We've got a lot of work to do on that still, and that's a big part of why we're not doing Linux right now. Of course there are some folks would be happy just to have something, but I wouldn't say most, and I'm not sure I'd count many team members among that number either.

And honestly, my old, faithful non-Touch Bar, non-enormous track pad MacBook Pro has plenty of room for both. And when I need to do serious work, I'm not using the built-in input anyway. Those are for portability, not productivity. Fortunately our crazy big keyboards and precise mice work with computers going back to the 90s, and will probably work with computers well into the next decade as well. So when it's time for me to upgrade, that won't be much of an issue. And frankly I'm not ready to give up being able to easily run macOS, Linux, Windows all on the same machine. Here's hoping I can run 1Password natively on each someday as well. :sunglasses:

• bwilczek
    bwilczek
    Community Member
    Options

Just another +1 for Linux version. At this moment this is the only application that I need to be fully satisfied with with that OS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, thank you for letting us know! No pressure! :lol:

• johnhutch
    johnhutch
    Community Member
    Options

Just another +1 for linux from yet another disillusioned mac user who, like all the rest, view 1password as the single, final hurdle in moving to a Linux desktop full time. I don't care if it has the full feature suite. I don't care if it's a bit buggy. Just gimme that browser extension with auto-complete.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't care if it has the full feature suite. I don't care if it's a bit buggy. Just gimme that browser extension with auto-complete.

Haha, I hear you: the browser extensions are a huge convenience. We'll see if we can do that in the future. :)

• cfbauer
    cfbauer
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Dang, I use a cross-platform password management solution on my personal computers, but recently joined a company that uses 1Password. Definitely disappointed to learn I won't be able to use 1Password autocomplete from my home machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cfbauer: Ah, it sounds like you must be using Ubuntu (or related Linux distro) then. I'm glad to hear that you're using 1Password in your workplace, but I'm sorry that your introduction to it has been disappointing, since there is no native app for your main machine. 1Password.com is useful for accessing the data, but you're right that using the apps and browser extensions to save and fill passwords is much nicer. Hopefully we'll be able to add support for Linux in the future. :blush:

• jardoin
    jardoin
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I've recommended to our CTO this Friday that we drop 1password and search for alternatives. There is a lot of linux floating around in the IT professional's world. All of our servers run it, naturally a lot of our desktops and laptops do as well. Your product is incomplete for a professional IT organization. Reconsider your position on this. Developing on Linux is not hard. Use a portable code base like a professional company. These problems were solved a decade ago but you're still having them in 2016.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jardoin: I'm not sure I understand how 1Password was working for you previously if you require Linux, as we haven't ever had a native Linux app and don't claim to. Our only position on this is that we're not going to add Linux unless we have the resources to be able to develop, test, and support it to the same degree we do our other platforms, so I'm not sure why you'd want us to reconsider that since the alternative would be to offer something on Linux just to be able to say we offer something on Linux, without really giving it the appropriate attention.

• jardoin
    jardoin
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty you can spin it how you like, but you're not seeing Linux support as a priority. That's why you don't have the 'resources' for it. It's only half worked for us in the past, and we acquired it based on a now gone IT manager's decision. Given your competitors in the space who seem to have the 'resources' to offer solid cross-platform support, the suggestion is that you reconsider how you allocate your current 'resources'. My personal stake in your product is gone. My recommendation has already been brought to committee. The entire department has agreed. I expect within the next 30 to 60 days I'll be rolling back your product and rolling out your competitor who has what we need at a similar price point. Most technology companies like the one I work for have large Linux based infrastructures. It's only natural that our administration and ops departments would want support for tools on the OS of their choice. Relying on WINE isn't going to cut it. I'm not here to argue. I'm giving you feedback on why you've just lost a client. You'd still have our licenses throughout 2017 if you had given Linux "appropriate attention".

• steve65140
    steve65140
    Community Member
    Options

I second @jardoin - you've lost me as a customer and I will be recommending Enpass in the future, not 1Password.

• steve65140
    steve65140
    Community Member
    Options

Well, my new laptop arrived and I'm happily running the elementary OS on it. I found Enpass (https://www.enpass.io/) and it does everything that 1Password does plus it runs on Linux. The app is free on all desktop platforms. There are no sync or service fees. If you want the app on iOS it's payable but not expensive and even has Touch ID support. I'm really happy with Enpass on macOS, iOS and elementary OS with Dropbox doing the syncing - just wish I'd found it sooner.

• morganfletcher
    morganfletcher
    Community Member
    Options

I own a personal license for 1Password, use it all the time. Bought 1Password for Teams at my last job. Just started at a new company, got my linux (Ubuntu, but we also use Fedora) laptop, and was surprised and appalled that there is no 1Password for linux. Big disappointment. Please build it. I'll have to come up with another solution for password management for my team, here. There's no way using 1password on phones would suffice. It's painful enough already to type in a long password on the mobile app. (android) There is a need for this work, and money that wants to get spent on your product.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    Options

I know you don't currently have the capacity to build a Linux client but are there plans to hire more staff to build one, or if not, where in the priority list does it sit for your team to get to?

I'd like to get an idea if I should wait for a Linux client or move to enpass. Enpass doesn't suit all my needs either, none of them do but 1password and enpass come close. 1password doesn't support Linux but supports multiple shared vaults, while enpass supports Linux but doesn't support multiple shared vaults. So for me It's a case of who will get to complete all the features I'd like to use first.

I'm not speaking ill of any team/company for not supporting everything I want. These things take time and money to develop. You guys have built a great service which is almost perfect from my point of view and I hope you continue. I just hope that you don't loose too many customers. In the mean time, given this current trend of moving from mac to Linux for a lot of professional people.

So all that being said, is it possible to get an answer on what efforts/timeline are being put into developing a Linux client so I can weigh up my choices. I'll be asking the same of enpass too.

Keep up the good work!
    Richard

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rs_saunders,

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! I would never suggest someone base a decision today on promises for the future. (Personally, I've been burned one too many times by Kickstarter projects that never materialized among other letdowns in my life.)

You should use the tool that works best for you today. It sounds like you are well aware, but, if it helps, you can access all the data in a 1Password account on 1Password.com, and that works just as well in Linux as it does on other platforms. But I know that's not the same as a native client + browser integration. I just thought I'd mention it in case you or @morganfletcher somehow weren't aware of it.

• Hotstryker
    Hotstryker
    Community Member
    Options

++100 also for a Linux version. I've been using 1P for nearly 3 years and love it. But with Windows 10 I've started to look at migrating away from Windows. Looked at the Mac Platform but with the direction they are moving I don't see moving to Mac. Besides, why would I pay for a *nix based OS that is restricted like OSX when I can do Linux for free and be free to do all I need? So I am now migrating to 100% Linux platforms. Have 1P working decently under Wine, but would love to see full native support. Really don't want to begin looking at other password managers and I hope you make Linux support a priority before you have many faithful customers start to migrate away.

• tatonka
    tatonka
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

i am also one of the guys considering moving away from Mac sooner or later. My Macs aren't the newest, and there will be the day when they won't get new updates. The only reason i am staying on Mac for now is the lack of a decent password manager. Like others, i am comparing 1password to enpass. Enpass lacks two important features for me: Attaching files to an entry and custom favicons for entries.
    I have successfully installed 1password in a Linux VM, but only 1password 4. I am crossing my fingers for a wine-able version of 1password 6 (when it is released for owners of a fixed-fee license, but this is another story for now).

I am a user of 1password for 3 or 4 years for now, and would like to be loyal to it, even on linux, since it has more features and the community is more active, but as others say: whatever comes first. Enpass with the missing features, or 1password 6 with the general ability to install on linux.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I wish that I had a fancy new Linux app to offer you as a gift, but all the same I hope you have a merry Christmas and enjoy as many other holiday feasts as you can this season. :chuffed:

• jrock2004
    jrock2004
    Community Member
    Options

I understand you guys have 4 platforms to maintain, but to be honest they are rock solid. Not sure why a Linux client is being worked on. Heck why not just open source the UI part of it and you guys just worry about unlocking the vault. I mean it kinda working just fine with using Wine but would just love for a client.

• lmcdo
    lmcdo
    Community Member
    Options

While targeting a specific Linux distro seems like it would be rather painful, what could be interesting is developing a gui-less "sync" client to integrate with GPG. Google Chrome already integrates with GPG despite not using anything like it on other platforms, so it looks like it should be an option. Firefox has had a sync plugin work with GPG in the past, though it went unmaintained, so a plugin should be able to interact with GPG.

GPG has many viable GUI options right now, but 1password could certainly chose to make their own GUI to GPG later on and no one would complain.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jrock2004: I really appreciate you saying so, but I have to be honest: we have a lot of work to do on Windows to get it up to where the Mac version is. There's a similar (though less pronounced) gap between Android and iOS. We get feedback on this all the time and are working toward this every day, but we're not there yet. Any other platforms we'd try to add in the mean time would face an even greater deficit and have an even harder time catching up with fewer resources.

@lmcdo: It's certainly an interesting idea, but it's really best for us to do the work ourselves so we're not heavily dependent on something outside our control. 1Password.com allows us to ensure a solid sync experience for 1Password users where we can add anything we need and fix things when they're broken. And the same really goes for the apps. We're not perfect and neither is 1Password, but we're at least in a position to be able to do what we need to improve the experience for our customers by building it ourselves.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

It may or may not have already been mentioned but Android is built on top of Linux. Unfortunately, an issue with Linux is that there are so many of them (distros) and there is talk of OS fragmentation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

True, but Ubuntu and its other Debian-based variants are pretty popular, so that might make a good place to start if we're able to invest in Linux in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.