New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• Manos_hand_of_Fate
    Manos_hand_of_Fate
    Community Member
    Options

I'm curious - do technologies like React Native and Electron change anything with regards to expanding desktop support for 1Password? I guess what I'm asking is, if it were (relatively) easy to whip up a user interface that could run in most Linux windows managers, would porting the rest of the code pose a significant enough challenge to still discount the possibility?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Manos_hand_of_Fate: That's a great question. 1Password's code, in general, isn't focused on portability. The exception is that 1Password for Mac and iOS can obviously share some due to the fact that Objective C is used in both cases. But first and foremost, we want 1Password to feel native and be robust and secure on each platform.

Portability is really appealing, but it hasn't yet quite lived up to its promise. These are exciting new technologies so perhaps that will change in time, but it's something we'll have to consider carefully. After all, Java, Air, and HTML5 were also once heralded as the software industry's cross-platform champions as well, but security, usability, and efficiency didn't quite live up to the hype. Maybe one day we'll be able to maintain a single codebase for all platforms — OS X, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, web, and whatever else turns out to be the next big thing — but I don't think we're there yet. :)

• fclaycomb
    fclaycomb
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

I am completly happy to run 1password in linux under wine, I just need the executable for it. My company is using teams and honestly I wish we would go back to our old method of password storage because 1password is not convenient without the app. If a link can be provided to the exe that would be great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fclaycomb: No problem! You can always download the latest version from our website: https://agilebits.com/downloads :)

• fclaycomb
    fclaycomb
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, no actually you cannot download the latest version. The latest teams version is ONLY in the Microsoft store. We use teams so the builds at that link are useless to me.
    Can I get the exe from that somehow?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@brenty, no actually you cannot download the latest version. The latest teams version is ONLY in the Microsoft store. We use teams so the builds at that link are useless to me.

@fclaycomb: Aha! Thanks for mentioning that. It wasn't clear from your previous comment. :tongue:

Can I get the exe from that somehow?

UWP apps aren't packaged and distributed that way, and I'm not sure that WINE even supports the new Windows 10 APIs. It isn't possible currently, and I doubt it would work even then.

However, we did just release a new beta that supports older versions of Windows (going back to 7). It hasn't been tested with Linux at all, but you're free to give it a shot. Cheers! :pirate:

• RyanArr
    RyanArr
    Community Member
    Options

I've bought 1password on multiple platforms. I've recommended your product to countless friends and associates. And I'm sad to say I'm done with it. Six years of this thread and still no Linux support? You guys don't get it do you? I understand that there aren't many people using Linux on the desktop, but there are lots of sysadmins using OS X to admin Linux servers that need to occasionally use Linux on the desktop.

• A former 1Password fan, new Enpass user
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that, but I don't doubt that I'd make a similar decision if I were in your position. Ultimately it's all about "the right tool for the job". Hopefully we'll be able to build a Linux app to meet your needs better down the road.

• tscolari
    tscolari
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yeah, linux support would be great. It's a shame it's not a priority.
    I would also like to thank RyanArr, I didn't knew about this Enpass, after a quick look on the page it seems to have exactly what we are missing here, plus the so wanted google drive support (by me at least).
    I'll def give a try later.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. A native Linux app is not something we've released so far, but we certainly hope you are able to find tools that are ideal for your personal workflow. :+1:

• JackRock
    JackRock
    Community Member
    Options

I created this account primarily to respond here.

I am aware of Agile Bits' policy on not commenting on future plans of products or business movement, and I'm fine with that.
    I am also aware of AB's current lack of plans for a native Linux application...and I'm not really OK with that, but I understand.

I really just wanted to throw my hat into the ring to say that I'd really like a Linux client. Just my way of saying "me, too". If there's enough of a demand, I'm sure AB will "see the light". After all, with Microsoft's stupid tactics of forced upgrades, I'm already seeing moves to Linux in DROVES. Mostly people start with VMs and live CDs, but I think we'll start seeing a third power player here in the next couple of years.

And for the record, I have purchased both the Windows and Android applications. I'm just sick of Microsoft's crap, so I'm part of that group that's leaving them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I created this account primarily to respond here.

@JackRock: Thanks for taking the time to visit and share your desire for a Linux version of 1Password! :chuffed:

I am aware of Agile Bits' policy on not commenting on future plans of products or business movement, and I'm fine with that.

I am also aware of AB's current lack of plans for a native Linux application...and I'm not really OK with that, but I understand.

It's really not fun for us to be secretive like this, and to say "no" to something that people are passionate about, and I'm sorry that we don't have better news for you right now. Perhaps someday. :blush:

I really just wanted to throw my hat into the ring to say that I'd really like a Linux client. Just my way of saying "me, too". If there's enough of a demand, I'm sure AB will "see the light". After all, with Microsoft's stupid tactics of forced upgrades, I'm already seeing moves to Linux in DROVES. Mostly people start with VMs and live CDs, but I think we'll start seeing a third power player here in the next couple of years.

I hope you'll excuse the joke, but even Microsoft is "moving to Linux" with SQL Server and Ubuntu binaries on Windows 10. It's a far cry from the previous administration's hatred of Linux. But in all seriousness, while we have a fondness for Linux here at AgileBits, with limited resources we really have to be picky about what we focus on. I think that's a good thing, and if we do set our minds on developing 1Password for Linux in the future, it too will be a beneficiary of that. But until we do, that doesn't do you or anyone else using Linux any good, so I'm sorry for that. :(

And for the record, I have purchased both the Windows and Android applications. I'm just sick of Microsoft's crap, so I'm part of that group that's leaving them.

While I'm personally a fan of Windows 10, I would feel totally differently if I wasn't and Microsoft was trying to foist it on me anyway. Different strokes for different folks, after all! I'm glad that you've found an OS soulmate in Linux, and I hope we'll be able to accommodate you -- and everyone else who's made Tux part of their family -- in the future. :)

• JackRock
    JackRock
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks, Brenty, for the response. Again, this doesn't sour me permanently on 1Password - I'm just using under Wine (but I feel dirty when I do). I can't get it to work with the Chrome browser extension, so that's sort of a pain. But I do seriously like that 1Password isn't just a password manager, but an entire digital wallet, as well. I can store photos of my ID, software purchase records, and all sorts in there. In fact, that software records thing saved me a while back!

So, keep doing what you need to do, and hopefully you guys will let the Light of Tux in your life (okay - bad joke. :| ). I'm still here, either way.

EDIT: I just found out the piece I was missing to make the browser extension work. So I'm good, so far.

(And yeah, I knew about MS using Linux pieces - they're even starting to include Bash in their command prompt. And I think Win10 was FAAAAAR better than Win8. But their recent forcing of upgrades and advertising practices are....very souring.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Brenty, for the response. Again, this doesn't sour me permanently on 1Password - I'm just using under Wine (but I feel dirty when I do). I can't get it to work with the Chrome browser extension, so that's sort of a pain. But I do seriously like that 1Password isn't just a password manager, but an entire digital wallet, as well. I can store photos of my ID, software purchase records, and all sorts in there. In fact, that software records thing saved me a while back!

@JackRock: Now you're making me think that maybe 1Password does too much! But yeah, it's an incredibly useful tool and I know how I feel any time I'm without it. I can only imagine that seeing Windows widgets after going to the trouble to escape them must be painful...

So, keep doing what you need to do, and hopefully you guys will let the Light of Tux in your life (okay - bad joke. :| ). I'm still here, either way.

Hey, Linux is an amazing piece of technology and has come a long way from Linus's university hobby. It doesn't quite meet my needs for everyday stuff, but perhaps it will someday — and I agree that having 1Password there would help!

EDIT: I just found out the piece I was missing to make the browser extension work. So I'm good, so far.

I'd be interested to know what the obstacle was. And perhaps others would benefit as well!

(And yeah, I knew about MS using Linux pieces - they're even starting to include Bash in their command prompt. And I think Win10 was FAAAAAR better than Win8. But their recent forcing of upgrades and advertising practices are....very souring.)

I think a lot of people would actually enjoy Windows 10 — especially by comparison to Windows 8! — if they gave it a chance...but yeah, Microsoft isn't winning any popularity contests by tricking people. :tongue:

• JackRock
    JackRock
    Community Member
    Options

The issue was that I has apparently skipped the step to disable browser code signature. Once I did that, the browser extension started working like it should.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I won't suggest Agilebits make a Linux version, because after so many years, it hasn't happened yet. I can only Suggest that subscription is the way forward here or a Thin Client model. Chrome has that in place with the Chrome OS that Google is merging with Android. Android is linux based anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The issue was that I has apparently skipped the step to disable browser code signature. Once I did that, the browser extension started working like it should.

@JackRock: Ah, thanks for clarifying! Indeed, 1Password for Windows won't be able to verify the code signature of browsers on Linux. Glad that did the trick for you. :)

I won't suggest Agilebits make a Linux version, because after so many years, it hasn't happened yet. I can only Suggest that subscription is the way forward here or a Thin Client model. Chrome has that in place with the Chrome OS that Google is merging with Android. Android is linux based anyway.

@wkleem: That's an interesting thought. The whole Android/ChromeOS thing still strikes me as overly ambitious, but I suspect if anyone can pull it off it's Google.

With or without a native Linux version of 1Password, I fantasize about having a more autonomous browser extension. There's a lot of important logic built into the app so something like that isn't possible currently, but given that to many people the browser extension is 1Password, it would be cool to be able to use it on its own. Perhaps someday. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I can suggest, if someone is really keen to get 1Password working in Linux, use CrossOver which is Wine on steroids. It's also a paid app.

https://codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux

It's still not 1Password for Linux, however.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

With or without a native Linux version of 1Password, I fantasize about having a more autonomous browser extension. There's a lot of important logic built into the app so something like that isn't possible currently, but given that to many people the browser extension is 1Password, it would be cool to be able to use it on its own. Perhaps someday

It used to be that way but there were numerous issues with the design.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I can suggest, if someone is really keen to get 1Password working in Linux, use CrossOver which is Wine on steroids. It's also a paid app.

What exactly does that provide for running 1Password that the vanilla, free, WINE does not support?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

With or without a native Linux version of 1Password, I fantasize about having a more autonomous browser extension. There's a lot of important logic built into the app so something like that isn't possible currently, but given that to many people the browser extension is 1Password, it would be cool to be able to use it on its own. Perhaps someday

It used to be that way but there were numerous issues with the design.

@RichardPayne: Hmm. I'm not so sure about that. Even with the old (pre-extension) browser integration and the original 1Password extension (v3) it really depended on the main 1Password app for data and functionality. Granted, even though it needed to have 1Password to get the data in the first place, the original extension could work in a zombie mode if it lost the connection to 1Password. Is that what you're thinking of? Gives me shivers just thinking about it... :fearful:

What exactly does that provide for running 1Password that the vanilla, free, WINE does not support?

I think CrossOver is pretty nice and easier to use...but yeah, Wine is more than sufficient for 1Password, given that it isn't as fragile or complex as things like Office and big games. It can be a no-brainer if it's something you know you'll use a lot though. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. I'm not so sure about that. Even with the old (pre-extension) browser integration and the original 1Password extension (v3) it really depended on the main 1Password app for data and functionality. Granted, even though it needed to have 1Password to get the data in the first place, the original extension could work in a zombie mode if it lost the connection to 1Password. Is that what you're thinking of? Gives me shivers just thinking about it... :fearful:

Possibly. It's been a long while since I looked at anything older than v4.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's probably for the best. 1Password 3 was great in its time, but we've learned a lot since then. :crazy:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

That's probably for the best. 1Password 3 was great in its time, but we've learned a lot since then. :crazy:

You certainly have @brenty. I still hope that Agilebits can make a portable 1Password App that can reside in a USB pen drive.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem, it sure would be nice to have some portability for situations where it is required. Maybe one day. :)

• Irv
    Irv
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to have 1password available as well, I currently use keepass, but would love to see something that I could use the fingerprint sensor to login on an iphone
    I currently run: Windows 10, Linux Mint and have an iPhone

• jonoabroad
    jonoabroad
    Community Member
    Options

I have switched from OSXm I would really like to stay with 1Password, but want the integrated experience. I have a Windows Phone ( don't ask ) which has a Beta, there must be more Linux users wanting 1Password than WindowsPhone users!

Anyway, pleading over. I love the product and would love to continue using it on linux. I would buy a new license, I'm not sure if others would, I'd consider trying to get my family on 1Password also ( don't worry, Windows and OSX/ iPhone users ).

Thank you
    Jono

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:linux

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@Irv: Not having 1Password on Linux is pretty rough, but I'm glad that I can at least use 1Password Teams/Families in the browser on Ubuntu (and Windows, until recently). Hopefully we'll be able to add a native app to our arsenal in the future too. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are you considering 1Password for linux any time soon or at all?

@jonoabroad: I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post with the existing discussion. It's definitely something we continue to consider...but I don't want to give you the impression that this means we're necessarily going to do it — though I certainly hope we'll be able to!

I have switched from OSXm I would really like to stay with 1Password, but want the integrated experience. I have a Windows Phone ( don't ask ) which has a Beta, there must be more Linux users wanting 1Password than WindowsPhone users!

I think you may be right about that! Fortunately for Windows Phone users, Windows 10 has brought with it the Universal Windows Platform, which allows our new 1Password app to work on desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones. Otherwise I doubt we'd be able to offer 1Password there.

Anyway, pleading over. I love the product and would love to continue using it on linux. I would buy a new license, I'm not sure if others would, I'd consider trying to get my family on 1Password also ( don't worry, Windows and OSX/ iPhone users ).

Indeed. Thank you for you support, and helping your loved ones be more secure with 1Password. Perhaps someday we'll be able to do right by Tux and all of his friends! :)

• jonoabroad
    jonoabroad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the super quick response. I figured that was why you were able to support windows phone.
    When / If you are looking for Linux alpha|beta testers, let me know.

This discussion has been closed.