New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• StrangeNoises
    StrangeNoises
    Community Member
    Options

Ooh, EnPass. Does Linux and sync via OwnCloud. Thanks for the pointer, whoever said it. I hadn't heard of that one but it seems to do what I want. Clearly Linux is never going to happen here, and I just found an alternative I think I can go with.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonoabroad keep an eye on the forums. I'm sure that if we do end up bringing 1Password to Linux we'll be looking for beta testers :)

• StrangeNoises
    StrangeNoises
    Community Member
    Options

It's been years. It's too late. EnPass works now on Mac/Linux/OwnCloud, with only some GUI glitches on a scaled HiDPI screen, which isn't that uncommon. I'm gone.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that, StrangeNoises, and for not seeing your previous message when I was responding to jonoabroad.

• jyaworski
    jyaworski
    Community Member
    Options

Hey all. Just chiming in to say that I'm an Arch Linux user that switches to OS X for work, mainly. I'd be willing/able to test an alpha/beta if AgileBits offers one. Or just to offer ideas, really.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jyaworski: If and when the time comes, both would be most appreciated! :)

• peeeto
    peeeto
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    native linux support of 1password would be great!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @peeeto,

Thanks for letting us know you’re interested! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure people realise that this discussion is 5 years and 6 months old? If and not when but if Agilebits does come out with something, I hope it won't disappoint! However, Linux remains a niche OS and that is unlikely to change. The world is also now more towards mobility as well.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

The feature that drew me into 1Password was support for 2FA, as in having the 2FA codes in the manager. Before 1Password I was using LastPass, but now I'm considering finding a new password manager due to the lack of Linux support. Using Wine works for the desktop program, but I can't seem to find a solution for the browser extension, which was another selling-point feature for me. I was actually considering buying 1Password before I switched to Ubuntu, as my trial was about to end. I am thoroughly disappointed, not like that matters to such a big company though. I'm just some kid.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Ben
    Options

@SebastianRasor01

I'm sorry that we don't make a Linux product currently. Maybe it is something we can consider offering in the future. :)

We aren't that big of a company, btw:

Company - 1Password

P.S. I merged your message with another thread also on the front page with the same subject.

Ben

• Chuy
    Chuy
    Community Member
    Options

Just another user who would like to see 1password for Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Jesus

• niemalsnever
    niemalsnever
    Community Member
    Options

@SebastianRasor01 Please see this page for information about using the browser extension running linux. https://support.1password.com/1password-in-wine/#browser-helper One slight quirk that didn't yet make it onto that page: The Browser Extension Keyboard Shortcut does not work when running Linux. If it somehow still doesn't work for you, you can ask me and I will try to help you. I'm using the Browser Extension right now with Chromium on Linux Mint 18, but I've previously used it under Ubuntu and Linux Mint 17.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @niemalsnever,

Thanks so much for sharing that information, and for your offer of help! I hope the article helps Sebastian. :) It’s great to hear that you’ve been able to get 1Password working on Linux.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@niemalsnever Thanks so much for linking that! I got the extension up and running correctly. I'll update here if I can get the keyboard shortcuts working. I am now running Ubuntu Gnome, in case anyone was wondering.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! I'm glad that helped. I'm not sure it's possible to use the keyboard shortcut though. Cheers! :)

• shadowhand
    shadowhand
    Community Member
    Options

I too would like to voice my support for having 1Password on Linux. I suspect that since you have a OSX and Android versions, it wouldn't be all that difficult.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shadowhand: Thanks for your support! I agree that it wouldn't be "difficult" to make a Linux version...but making it great and continuing to offer the same features and support as other platforms is the bar we'll be setting for ourselves if and when we add that platform. Making a "1Password for Linux" that pales in comparison to other versions wouldn't be right. I think we all deserve — and expect — better. :)

• rrnowell
    rrnowell
    Community Member
    Options

Here is another request for 1Password in Linux. Has anyone counted how many there are? I wonder if there were requests dating before the first post in November of 2010? I see that there are 31 pages of posts as of July 25th, 2016. As user of 1Password I wish AB would at least let us know how many of us users have asked for this especially in comparison to other things. I realize there are other factors like the ease of implementing a small change and the magnitude of adding aa platform. There is a movement by the average citizen to try to get out from under the intrusive and manipulative control of companies and governments who should be exiting to serve the people and customers. Open Source and GPL and Linux are at a partial expression of this effort to achieve freedom. Some see the subscriptions as and builtin obsolescence as other constraints to be avoided. Linux is one way to try to free oneself from this. I really hope 1Password can get started... if 1Password's Linux version worked as well as what is out there for Linux already, that would be enough for me. I don't believe for a moment that ABits would not keep bringing the Linux version up to the level it has its other apps at. How about it AB? Can't you deliver on a 1Password for Linux that is as good as what is already available? Having something in hand that can be improved as long as security isn't compromised would be a good end to this 5 almost 6 years of requests.

• catalonia
    catalonia
    Community Member
    Options

Hi folks!

I use 1Password in iOS (pro) I have also purchased 1Password for Mac and Windows and loving it, (besides being a free/salesman/promoter of 1Password to all my customers, family and friends) You guys should totally pay me for some credit ;)

Thing is, I am now using one of my Linux Machines with Xubuntu 16.04 64bit and I couldn't log into my e-mail, Facebook... I relay so much to 1Password, that I don't even know my own passwords anymore, not even the basic ones, just the master passord and the 4 digits of 1Password in my Apple Watch.

For instance, in order to log-in here I had to go to (remember password) and open my e-mail (which I did before using 1Password on my Phone) and since I don't have the phone or the Watch near now, I had to reset the password for agilebits.com and it won't sync with my account. so I won't be able to log in again once back in my Mac, and I'll have to reset the password again...

It is clear that there is s request, (and a market) for 1Password for Linux, especially for the current customers like me that relay to 1Password so heavily that we just can't deal using an operating system without our password manager.

So, here I am requesting 1Password for Linux, native of course with all extensions and the system tray icon as well ;)

Love your product so much, but you're really being late here. Remember, choice is the key, and you should be present in all platforms.

Regards from Barcelona.

• maur1th
    maur1th
    Community Member
    Options

With the subscription-based web version coming, I hope we'll eventually have the 1Password browser extension connect to my.1password.com. That would make for a rather cheap (speaking in development costs) Linux version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@maur1th: I don't think it would be cheaper or easier to develop a standalone browser extension, given it would have to be completely rewritten to work that way. But I agree that it may be a good option for Linux, ChromeOS, and perhaps other platforms which have solid browser support but less of an app ecosystem. Something to consider. :)

@rrnowell, @catalonia: Thanks for the feedback! I can totally relate to the pain of being without 1Password from time to time, and hopefully we'll be able to add Linux (and perhaps others) in the future. :)

• artbit
    artbit
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I've been a user of 1password for over a year now, and I've created the account on this forum only to say: goodbye and thanks for all the fish.
    The lack of support on Linux is a show-stopper for me. I've been using the Windows version through Wine, but due to some system restrictions, I cannot do that anymore.

I loved your app, it's awesome. Keep up the good work.
    But I must seek another password manager.

Cheers.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @artbit. Sorry to see you go. Hopefully in the future this is a need we can fill.

Ben

• littleweep
    littleweep
    Community Member
    Options

I registered just to echo the parent comment -- I own licenses for 1Password for the Windows, Mac, and iOS platforms. Please support linux, or at the very least ubuntu. I've installed the Windows version under Wine and I'm getting an error that my .agilekeychain file is not a valid 1Password vault. Let's make this a better experience! 1Password is miles ahead of the competition. You've got a customer segment tat has been posting on your forums for years asking for support. Let's move forward!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @littleweep!

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Could I vote again? Using wine is awkward at best, the 1Password 6 beta wont install through wine, and the web page is just plain slow to use.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SebastianRasor01,

We appreciate the feedback, and I’m sorry that you’re not having the best time using Wine in Linux.

Could I vote again?

We’re always listening, but this process isn’t quite an election. There are a whole host of factors that go into determining how developer time is spent. User interest is a big one, but there are plenty of other concerns that must be accounted for as well. Let’s just say that I’m glad that I don’t have to be the one who determines how time is split between all of the cool stuff we’d love to do. :)

• jeanfred
    jeanfred
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

My organization has moved to 1Password, so I researched the topic of 1Password on Linux today. Both for making sure I did not miss a bit, and for the potential benefit of others, let me summarize my findings on the current state of 1Password for Teams on Linux:

• There is no 1Password client available on Linux
    • The browser extensions (either Chrome or Firefox) are not standalone − they need a client running in the background.
    • The support expains (as well as various tutorials online) how you can use the Windows client in the Wine emulator. However:
      • Version 4 can be run in Wine, but does not support 1Password for Teams
      • Version 6 Beta does support Teams, but does not run in Wine

→ Your only option is to use the 1Password web interface, with all the limitations that entails.

Let me know whether this summary is accurate or if I missed something :)

This discussion has been closed.