Are the master passwords for Shared Vaults stored in the Primary Vault? [Resolved: Answer in #2]

Options
brebre
brebre
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I recently started using the multiple vaults feature of 1Password, and I noticed that I am prompted only for the primary vault's master password when I unlock 1Password. Once I unlock the primary vault, all the other vaults are unlocked as well. In other words, I do not need to type the master password for the other vaults in order to unlock them.

How does 1Password handle the other vaults' master passwords? Is it stored in the primary vault somewhere and then used to automatically unlock the non-primary vaults? If so, where is it stored?

Comments

• chrisdj
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @brebre‌,

You're pretty astute! All vaults are stored in the user library in a file named OnePassword.sqlite. This is encrypted. It's precise location depends on where you purchased from.

Mac App Store: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data
    Direct version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data

The way the database structure is set up is that everyone has a primary vault, but secondary vaults are nested under the primary vault umbrella.

The primary vault can reference the keys for the secondary vaults. In execution, this is a convenience item for you to unlock the primary, and easily switch between the other vaults without having to unlock each one.

That said, if you lock 1Password, you can switch directly to a secondary vault and use that vault's Master Password to unlock only that vault.

• brebre
    brebre
    Community Member
    Options

Aha! That makes sense. Thank you!

• On behalf of Chris, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.