Birthdates off by one day in 1Password 5. [Fixed in Version 5.3]

Options
1235»

Comments

• olegdesh
    olegdesh
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue across devices -- VERY disappointed. This is not merely an inconvenience, but a vital issue -- I put in passport dates in plane tickets and visa application, this could be a major disruption to my life.
    Been a loyal customer to 1P for a few releases now and paying customer -- now having faced this unexpected and mission critical problem, I discovered that the AgileBits does not provide any easily obtainable way to contact support, sending you in endless circles to their manuals and FAQ(you) sites, there's not email, no phone number. So when I finally log in having spent 30 min of my workday looking for an answer -- do I get a response from the company rep -- no, from Community Moderator.
    VERY disappointing, and no way to treat customers on a MISSION CRITICAL app.
    If I don't get an explanation from the vendor, will not hesitate to publish this in social networks.

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oleg, while I totally understand your pain (I had a good moan about it a couple of months ago too), the thread here does actually contain info.

1) 1P are apparently working on it, but it's a very complex problem they are grappling with across platforms (read previous comments above for some detail on this), and a fairly small team write the apps across several platforms, so resources are limited (like for most of these app companies) to find and then work for hours to fix every complex bug/issue (again, read ^above^.)

2) Temporary workaround some of us are doing in the interim:
    Put the date info in the freetext notes section, e.g. "expires: 30-Nov-2016", and then you still at least have the figure to hand in the entry concerned, which will sync across devices accordingly. And in future you can move it back to a date field when the issue has been resolved.

Bummer, but at least it works.

That's tech life I'm afraid. :-|

• sbax
    sbax
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Do you have an expected completion date for this fix (I have the same off by -1 day on iOS issue described above, 1Password5 on OS X and iOS syncing via dropbox)?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the assist here, @jimthing.

• Ben
    Options

I've merged two threads on the same subject here. Please see @jimthing's post above for the latest information available.

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

OK, so new versions for OS X & iOS have arrived, 26.Jan.2015:

v5.1 OS X @ MAS release notes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/1password-password-manager/id443987910

What's New in Version 5.1
    The Syncerrific Edition

1Password never prompts you for a review. We value your workflow too much to interrupt it. If you feel generous and have a couple of minutes, please leave a review. It makes a huge difference to us. Thank you in advance!

A New Vision for Sync
    ◆ Instantly see all your vaults and whether they are syncing.
    ◆ Easily set up new vaults for syncing, check when they last synced.
    ◆ Quickly decide whether to include/exclude a vault when Wi-Fi syncing.

Wi-Fi Sync
    ◆ Secondary vaults can now sync to iOS! That’s a Wi-Fi-Hi-Five if you ask us! Ok, we’ll see ourselves out.
    ◆ All new Preferences > Wi-Fi Server preference pane.

Multiple and Shared Vaults
    ◆ New secondary vaults are now more identifiable, but still ready for your personal touch.
    ◆ Sync your way—exclude secondary vaults from syncing at all.

Nope, Not Done With Sync Yet
    ◆ Master Password changes now sync to all devices using iCloud sync.
    ◆ Some alternative Folder Sync solutions should perform better.
    ◆ Empty categories now display sync progress so you know 1Password cares.

1Smörgåsbord
    ◆ Watchtower’s change password alert is clearer, more alert-ier.
    ◆ Added support for Firefox Developer Edition without having to disable "Verify browser code signature".
    ◆ Hover over an address, copy the entire thing in. just. one. click.
    ◆ We now display http://, https://, etc. in item details even when not edting them.
    ◆ 1Password now formats credit card numbers properly. But you’ll still have to consider, really consider, whether this purchase will bring happiness to your life on your own.
    ◆ Added support for Portuguese (Portugal).

Many other improvements and fixes based on your feedback.

We love hearing from you! Get in touch with us @1Password on Twitter, and Facebook.com/1Password!

v5.2 iOS @ iTunes Store release notes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335

What's New in Version 5.2
    The Designification & Experiencity Edition

1Password never prompts you for a review. We value your workflow too much to interrupt it. If you feel generous and have a couple of minutes, please leave a review. It makes a huge difference to us. We live for this stuff. Thank you in advance!

Tons of iOS apps are adding the convenience and security of 1Password to their logins. View the list of awesome apps here: j.mp/1Papps

All-new Login Creator
    ◆ Adding Logins is easier than ever with a new, streamlined workflow for hundreds of popular sites and services.

Pro Features Get Pro-er
    ◆ One-Time Passwords! Our new tool helps you sign into many services that require a secondary, randomized password (like Amazon and Tumblr). Less fumbling with different apps, more time doing what you need.
    ◆ Attachments can now be deleted from the item editor.
    ◆ You can now add many new custom field types like: addresses, dates, and month/year.

Designification
    ◆ You know how days of the week can sometimes blend together? Well, our item details don't do that anymore. The new layout features Zen-ified White Space™ and Enhanced Readamability® so you can find what you need even faster.
    ◆ Such new password editor design, much pretty, very password. Wow.
    ◆ We tried adding a flux capacitor to the item editor, but you'll have to settle for a regular ol' date picker instead.
    ◆ Rich icons are even prettier, and 1Password updates them if you change an item’s URL.
    ◆ The Master Password field now resizes for the occasion, depending on your device screen size.
    ◆ We now show a notification when saving a Login.

Sync
    ◆ Change your Master Password on Mac, it changes on your iOS device. #TheFuture
    ◆ Backups synchronized from iTunes for Windows can now be restored, even if they’re not in the Backups folder.

1Smörgåsbord
    ◆ The 1Password Extension for third-party apps will now lock automatically after the security timeout you have set in 1Password.
    ◆ We put 1Password through an intense memory strengthening exercise and it now remembers where you were when you left. Also, welcome back.
    ◆ New user? Starting fresh? Screens for empty vaults are now at least 20% cooler, and even more helpful!
    ◆ Accessibility audit: Our new item detail view and editor should work much better for our customers with impaired vision.
    ◆ 1Password has been updated with the latest translations from our translation service.

We love hearing from you! Get in touch with us @1Password on Twitter, and Facebook.com/1Password!

So after reading that headache of fluff above (short and succinct would be so much better: we're busy people, with umpteen apps updating every day, so no time to read massive filler comments!) yet I'm still none the wiser.

So the obvious question, to users and 1P staff alike, is: have these updates fixed this day-1 bug?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jimthing,

Thanks for keeping us to task on this! Believe me, when this bug is properly squashed, it will be in big flashing lights at the top of our release notes. (I'm not quite sure how the developers will make flashing lights happen inside a static text field, but I'm pretty sure they'll try. ;) )

Unfortunately, this means that, for the time being, the date issue is still present. As always, we'll be sure that your feedback is passed along to our development team.

• Stas Pavlov
    Stas Pavlov
    Community Member
    Options

One more month has passed since last post. Any news?

In the meantime I got a problem with my bank when tried to cancel the transaction abroad due to mentioned wrong date - thanks to 1password. Nasty situation, should I say...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stas Pavlov ,

I am so sorry to hear that you've run across this bug. Our developers are working on this issue, but I don't have an update for you at this time.

We do know that it's important, and we're doing all we can to have it resolved as soon as possible. I will pass your thoughts along to the team.

• Stas Pavlov
    Stas Pavlov
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and by the way in another thread regarding the "change of date while syncing" problem I got an answer: "...we don't have a timeframe for when the problem with 1Password for iOS will be resolved". Nice attitude towards data corruption problems for a top-notch super-safe and secure password manager. Keep up the good work, please!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stas Pavlov ,

The reason we don't provide time-frames for fixes is simply that there are many factors that can influence an update's release schedule, many of which are beyond our control. For an important fix such as this, we do not want to promise something that becomes impossible.

I know we've said it several times already in this thread, but we do know that this is important, and the support team has been vigilant in reminding developers that this is a vital issue for our users. We will get this fix out to you all just as soon as we can.

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

I have just discovered this bug while on holiday -5 time zones from where I set up my passport information for four passports. I was wondering how I could possibly have managed to get my birth date wrong, and then noticed that the birth dates were wrong in all passports (as were all the dates). A quick test by setting my computer clock to my regular time zone caused the dates to be correct again, so I could see what the problem was and that led me to this thread. It looks like not so much a bug as a major oversight by the initial development team, and I can see why it will be a challenge to fix--probably need something like storing the tz where the data are entered and calculating the offset when not in the tz of entry.

Question: Posting prior to this is Feb 25? Has this been fixed yet? I am still on Mac Version 4.4.2 and not in a hurry to upgrade to Yosemite so I haven't seen the version upgrade notices. If it is fixed that would be another reason to upgrade to Yosemite.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

@deoldphart - It's fixed, but I'm not sure which update brought the repair. The release notes are here, but I'm not where I can search for the announcement. I do believe you may need to correct the dates once after getting to the right version, and then you'll be set.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

See also Better date handling in the 5.3 release notes.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

So, @deoldphart, it would appear that the motivation to move to Yosemite to which you referred is in place. And thanks @MrC for adding the information I couldn't locate last night.

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Great news. Thanks folks. Looks like I have to upgrade to Yosemite now. And for any other latecomers to this issue we can consider the issue fixed.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @deoldphart :)

This discussion has been closed.